Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How FFXIII & FFVersusXIII aim to remain in FFXII's critical shadow

Damn you Mr.Cactuar for reminding me how awful the character designs were in FFXII!!!
    Who's the transexual below Vaan?I think my mind subconciously deleted "him" from my memory...
    The only characters that really stood out as designs were the Judges,Moogles,Occuria,Garif,and of course the espers although the later are considered creature designs rather than characters.

Anyway,i said it before and i will say it again:it's way to early to judge these games but if you are so close minded as the topic starter then maybe you should just stay away from these games (or any FF who isn't based on Ivalice)

Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    Damn you Mr.Cactuar for reminding me how awful the character designs were in FFXII!!!
    Who's the transexual below Vaan?I think my mind subconciously deleted "him" from my memory...
    The only characters that really stood out as designs were the Judges,Moogles,Occuria,Garif,and of course the espers although the later are considered creature designs rather than characters.

Anyway,i said it before and i will say it again:it's way to early to judge these games but if you are so close minded as the topic starter then maybe you should just stay away from these games (or any FF who isn't based on Ivalice)
    That character is Reks, Vaan's older, deader, brother. The reason why he 'hates' Archadia :-|
    Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer

If every FF game was based around Ivalice from now on I probably wouldn't complain.

Unless they ended up like Revenant Wings and Tactics Advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Strife View Post
    If I want in depth, (debatably) well thought out, technical music I'll go and see what Dream Theater are doing nowadays.
    You have Van Gogh's ear for music.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Strife View Post
    When I sit down to zone out I want to be a badass, sullen hero. I want explosions. I want over the top battle animations where someone flies around with a sword and rains comets on someone. I want daft stories, and attractive women in minimal amounts of clothing.
    Surely you're speaking of 'Pearl Harbor.' Not coincidentally a Jerry Bruckheimer-produced Ben Affleck blockbuster. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cactuar View Post
    Just because it is a story about 2 big warring nations, and filled with shallow political intrigue, it does not make it 'mature'.
    No where in my post did I argue that the mere presence of a political conscience is the sole, or even main, reason for the newfound maturity.

The FFVII compilation and its character development and deep story, amazing characters FFX with its great chracter development, turning Tidus from a whiny boy into a man willing to accept his fate, its story of a corrupt religion, FFVI and its great characters, the insane Kefka, Kingdom Hearts and its 'childish' nature still but a mature story nonetheless teaching good morales, these are 'mature' stories... Also if you truly understood FFVII and FFX then you would know that what you have just said is completely incorrect. What you have said sounds like a very childish take on FFVII-FFX, that you have missed important things, and that opinion is often the fanboy/fangirl that people dislike (OMGS ITS CLOUD AND TIDUS OMFG).
    Your syntax, diction, grammar, and vocabulary betray your age or merely your facility with the English language. If English isn't your first language, then I apologize. However, "if you truly understood" my post, "then you [too] would know that what you have just said is completely incorrect."

Who's the transexual below Vaan?
    As mentioned in press at the time and also the Jeremy Parish link in my initial post, the character designs for Vaan and Ashe, but Vaan in particular, were some of the concessions Matsuno had to make, to retain some continuity with the metrosexual, self-loving archetypes (Cloud, Squall, Tidus) Nomura had so successfully brought to popularity. FFXII was a dramatic depature in the series--a similarily effete character in Vaan was meant to make the transition easier. Fortunately, his in-game engine model is much more palatable. The same cannot be said of the Vaan conceptual art.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercry View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how people can pass judgment on a FF years before it even comes out with minimal information at best. ... no one knows enough about the game to make these kinds of determinations.

I will reserve judgment until I spend no fewer than 15 hours with the game. I suggest you all do the same.
    And yet the contingent of voices who lavish praise and excitement on yet to be released games are never reproached for their prognosticating. Only if judgments passed are complimentary, though equally uninformed and premature, do some people selectively not take umbrage.

Please don't quadruple post. Use x-quote or edit your post if you wish to add to it. - Azar

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Nomura is just far and away better. Character designs and everything. What would a person rather have:

A. Someone childish who never reached passed the third grade and, for that matter, puberty. (While wearing a halter top)

or

B. A man's man who will step up to a challenge, get the girl, and look like a badass doing so.

It's really not hard to see who the better character designer is. Plus, the second one in question doesn't need a sequel to pick up the chick.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Personally, I'd prefer if Perez Hilton designed XIII's characters.

(click to enlarge)

Agreed?

As long as the charcter's don't suck ass, I think it's fine. Personally, I think all the characters in the series have been great. I know XIII will try to out-do the previous 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni-Odin View Post
    B. A man's man who will step up to a challenge, get the girl, and look like a badass doing so.
    You mean like Tidus?

Quote Originally Posted by lovedovey View Post
    Just because it is a story about 2 big warring nations, and filled with shallow political intrigue, it does not make it 'mature'.
    No where in my post did I argue that the mere presence of a political conscience is the sole, or even main, reason for the newfound maturity.

The FFVII compilation and its character development and deep story, amazing characters FFX with its great chracter development, turning Tidus from a whiny boy into a man willing to accept his fate, its story of a corrupt religion, FFVI and its great characters, the insane Kefka, Kingdom Hearts and its 'childish' nature still but a mature story nonetheless teaching good morales, these are 'mature' stories... Also if you truly understood FFVII and FFX then you would know that what you have just said is completely incorrect. What you have said sounds like a very childish take on FFVII-FFX, that you have missed important things, and that opinion is often the fanboy/fangirl that people dislike (OMGS ITS CLOUD AND TIDUS OMFG).
    Your syntax, diction, grammar, and vocabulary betray your age or merely your facility with the English language. If English isn't your first language, then I apologize. However, "if you truly understood" my post, "then you [too] would know that what you have just said is completely incorrect."
    English is my only language, and I feel quite at hand with it, considering English is one of my better subjects. Attempts at insulting my intelligence is not going to win you debates :cookie

Ok then, what are your reasons for XII being mature? Poorly developed characters, a poorly developed story and poorly designed main characters and a poorly written script is not what a 'mature' game generally has. Add in all of the gameplay flaws, then, oh, yes, I can exactly how XII is a great game.
    Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer

Quote Originally Posted by lovedovey View Post
    Who's the transexual below Vaan?
    As mentioned in press at the time and also the Jeremy Parish link in my initial post, the character designs for Vaan and Ashe, but Vaan in particular, were some of the concessions Matsuno had to make, to retain some continuity with the metrosexual, self-loving archetypes (Cloud, Squall, Tidus) Nomura had so successfully brought to popularity. FFXII was a dramatic depature in the series--a similarily effete character in Vaan was meant to make the transition easier. Fortunately, his in-game engine model is much more palatable. The same cannot be said of the Vaan conceptual art.
    Excuse me but i personally find the character designs in FFVII (for example) much more original than the ones in FFXII.
    Maybe it's because the character designs and especially costumes in FFXII reminded me a lot of western RPG's.
    And no i really can't see the similarities of Vaan,Reks or Balthier with Cloud,Barret or Cid.Simple as that.

Now I certainly am not defending XII (oh god, what a trainwreck), but I felt it was a mature game. I found XI to be immature, but that was probably all the eleven-year-olds running around telling me to "*****, ***** and ****".

I don't think any of the games have really not been mature, except for some non-numbered games (MQ, CC). The III DS remake was really childish. But, that may also be becuase of the system it's on.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    You mean like Tidus?
    To put emphasis on the calling out. Tidus was involved in a professional sport where he probably got a bunch of action. Excuse the fact that his father was also a badass, and he had to live up to it. Tidus became one. I dislike his outfit, but if he didn't die, he would have had the girl at the end of that game.

There are only two awesome playable characters in XII, compared to Auron, Kimahri, and Lulu (I don't care what you say). Plus, Tidus became a leader only after a couple hours of play whereas characters like Vaan and Penelo should have been put on a shelf, never to be seen again. And nice nose job Vaan has. Real awesome.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

You mean like Tidus?
    To put emphasis on the calling out. Tidus was involved in a professional sport where he probably got a bunch of action. Excuse the fact that his father was also a badass, and he had to live up to it. Tidus became one. I dislike his outfit, but if he didn't die, he would have had the girl at the end of that game.
    Badass man's men don't cry all the time. There was nothing even remotely badass about him.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

You don't have a heart if you don't cry when forced to kill your father.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

It's not like it's a single stray tear or anything, either. That could be badass. No, it's straightup sobbing and crying. Face it. Tidus is a pansy.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

You mean like Tidus?

There are only two awesome playable characters in XII, compared to Auron, Kimahri, and Lulu (I don't care what you say). Plus, Tidus became a leader only after a couple hours of play whereas characters like Vaan and Penelo should have been put on a shelf, never to be seen again. And nice nose job Vaan has. Real awesome.
    Tidus never had any freaking leadership skills. He was pathetic in every sense of the word. I never used him in my party, even. (Note: Yuna, Auron, and Lulu were who I used most.)