Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How FFXIII & FFVersusXIII aim to remain in FFXII's critical shadow

Besides the fact that this is completely out of context.

Tidus matured throughout the game. You can tell, not only in what he says but also in the way his voice changes. On the special disk that comes with one of the versions, the voice dub he has talks about how he tried to do that.
    Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer

His raising maturity from age 5 to age 8 still didn't leave him any more manly than he was in the beginning. You could seriously tie a great big bow to his head and the impact of his character design would be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    His raising maturity from age 5 to age 8 still didn't leave him any more manly than he was in the beginning. You could seriously tie a great big bow to his head and the impact of his character design would be the same.
    The fact that so many people love Tidus and at the same time a lot of people hate him means that he is a succesful character creation...
    When a character really fails is when noone cares about him/her (FFXII).

Seems there's enough love/hate of the FF XII characters going around.

Seems there's enough love/hate of the FF XII characters going around.
    I think that even the people who like FFXII don't really care about the characters.What they like mostly in this game is the story and the whole mythos of Ivalice.

There's enough Basch/Balthier/Fran/Ashe erotic fan fiction to go around. Actually, the only character people don't seem to care about at all is Vaan.

Every single protagonist the series has spawned has been mediocre to awful, with the possible exception of Ramza who still wasn't particularly interesting. What's that old meme about winning the Special Olympics? Yeah.
    Last edited by Karellen; 12-27-2007 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    Every single protagonist the series a spawned has been mediocre to awful, with the possible exception of Ramza who still wasn't particularly interesting. What's that old meme about winning the Special Olympics? Yeah.
    You forgot to add IMHO in there.
    Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer

I really see no point.

Quote Originally Posted by lovedovey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Strife View Post
    If I want in depth, (debatably) well thought out, technical music I'll go and see what Dream Theater are doing nowadays.
    You have Van Gogh's ear for music.
    I'm actually a trained musician myself. I'd still rather pick up my electric guitar and thrash out a three chord song, or listen to a nice bit of Faith No More than listen to some overblown, boring epic. Nobuo's work in FF7 and FF8 sticks in my head more than anything else I've heard, despite being digitally composed. It's all about catchy little melodies that stick in the mind, particularly the individual character themes. I'd love to see a return to that sort of simplistic genius in FFXIII, though I doubt it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Strife View Post
    When I sit down to zone out I want to be a badass, sullen hero. I want explosions. I want over the top battle animations where someone flies around with a sword and rains comets on someone. I want daft stories, and attractive women in minimal amounts of clothing.
    Surely you're speaking of 'Pearl Harbor.' Not coincidentally a Jerry Bruckheimer-produced Ben Affleck blockbuster. Cheers.
    Ah yes, because everyone on the internet is ignorant of everything other than anime and bizarre sexual fetishes. Except you of course, oh great one. Enlighten me though, on what this has to do with anything I said if you can spare the time. I must be really ignorant, because this appears to be of no relevance whatsoever. Cheers.

FFXIII, so far, looks like a return to the over the top, pseudo-futuristic Final Fantasy I personally love. And that's awesome =)
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ok, first off, I just wanna say I'm with Mr. Cactuar, i understand everything you've said.

The original poster, while extremely eloquent (although I would rather call it superfluous) is the perfect example of fans of Final Fantasy who like to be overly nit-picking and generalizing with the games they don't like, and then build up this artificial intellectualism to justify why they like another installment better. The internet is a sad thing.

I think this quote best illustrates what I mean:
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedovey View Post
    As for FFVersusXIII, the music in the trailer while competent does sound a bit like a poor man's opera--watered down for an audience that doesn't know of Bellini or Puccini.
    Hilarious. If you're going to scrutinize a FF because one musical piece would not satisfy the connoiseurs of its genre... You may want to seriously re-consider why you're playing video games.

Also, because your post concerns the aspects of music, story, artistic direction, and characters, everything you have to say is absolutely meaningless outside of what it is that you personally prefer. I understand that may be your entire point, but during my time on these forums I've seen far too often presumptuous and cynical pricks (for lack of a better word) pass off opinion as undisputable fact.

I guess I'll leave it at that because in all likelihood this was meant to garner reaction more than anything.

He seemed unique compared to other FF characters though.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

xD

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scarmiglione View Post
    I am expecting Final Fantasy XIII to out do them all, as I always do. There is no doubt in my mind this one will be better than XII. Although XII is my least favorite, I don't think it is a bad game. It is just my thirteen favorite. Personally I would love to see future installments that are closer to VI than they are to XII.
    How can FFXII be you're thirteenth favourite? You're placing XIII before it? You've not even played it Unless you're including X-2 or something ...

Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    The fact that so many people love Tidus and at the same time a lot of people hate him means that he is a succesful character creation...
    When a character really fails is when noone cares about him/her (FFXII).
    I don't know what you're talking about here. FFXII was the only Final Fantasy (with the exception of V) in which I actually cared about every playable character (and moreover, the guest characters (SPOILER)Reddas !) as opposed to the others, where there was always at least one character I had no feelings for (Palom/Porom, Setzer/Gau/Mash, Barrett/Yuffie/Vincent, Irvine/Zell, Steiner/Amarant/Quina, Tidus/Kimhari). If any of those characters had died in the process of my saving the world I would not have cared. Even Palom / Porom turning themselves to stone didn't really bother me all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    He seemed unique compared to other FF characters though.
    Unique is not the first word that came to mind when I met Tidus in FFX. Although it was when I met Balthier, Fran, Penelo, Ashe, Basch, and even Vaan. In fact, unique is just a good word to describe FFXII.

If it isn't apparent by now, I very much enjoy FFXII and agree with the original poster.