Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How FFXIII & FFVersusXIII aim to remain in FFXII's critical shadow

Angry How FFXIII & FFVersusXIII aim to remain in FFXII's critical shadow

After I saw the newly released FFXIII ( Gametrailers.com - Final Fantasy XIII - Dengeki Special Edition Trailer ) and FFVersusXIII ( Gametrailers.com - Final Fantasy Versus XIII - Dengeki Special Edition Trailer ) trailers, I was at once excited and disappointed. It's a progression of FF into the next gen but in a greater sense it remains a regression when compared to FFXII.

Matsuno Yasuno's FFXII is when Final Fantasy grew up--boldly evident in it's art direction, but most conspicuously in it's narrative. It was a narrative flushed with florid, even occasionally literate, dialogue, a story arc concerned with political intrigue and worldly repercussions rather than the vanity of a girl-boy-girl love triangle, and a manner of characterization and direction that placed greater value in nuances of expressiveness rather than the gauche, teenage bravado and superficiality of Tidus, Cloud, Squall, or any of their similar spawn. A Final Fantasy without Matsuno (FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, or FFXII) is akin to a Jerry Bruckheimer production but with a Dawson's Creek ethos slathered in, very thickly.

While FFXII eschewed the teenage melodrama and ungainly storytelling of recent and past Final Fantasies, it also melded the best in western and Japanese RPGs and did away with long outmoded mainstays and annoyances in both: no more random battles or time wasting end-battle EXP/gil summary screens; seamless integration of exploration and battle modes creating an amplified sense of immersion; a choice to micro- or macro-manage battles allowing for leisurely or frantic fighting via the Gambit system; the creative synthesis of single player RPG and MMORPG mechanics; a 3D camera control allowing for full view of Ivalice's grandeur, again adding to the immense sense of immersion; a strong female lead (Ashe is inarguably the lead) who is neither feeble nor whiny nor a submissive stereotype; locales (especially the metropolises) that felt alive with the denizens and not a static contrivance of NPCs. The innovations, evolution, and discarded conventions are considerable. FFXII is not without its faults, even though it's one of only six games to get a perfect rating in Famitsu (not that Famitsu still holds value for everyone), but it does represent the first time Final Fantasy can be considered entertainment for more than mostly kids and teenagers. Along with games like FF Tactics, Ico, Bioshock, and Half Life 2, FFXII is one of those rare times where a video game has a story to tell that won't make you blush too much. It's not on par with finer cinema or literature, very far from it, but at least it displays an ambition to get there someday.

(And here's a decent summation by 1Up's Jeremy Parish of why FFXII "is easily the best in the series": Toastyfrog.com: Compendium of Useless Information : Games - Final Fantasy XII browse )

Those who dislike FFXII are likely to enjoy FFXIII. It's a return to the maturity level before Matsuo came in; a return to the cliches of a vapid but sullen hero with an elemental name (Lightning meet Cloud) and a farcically huge sword, zippered sportswear and asexual garments, and--because of the staff involved--a story that might rival FF7-10 in it's attempt to perfectly mirror a Ben Affleck summer blockbuster with inconsequential love interest and inconsequential ass kicking of inconsequential baddies who are equally as vapid as the hero and his love interest.

And yet inspite all that, I am completely hyped for FFXIII. FFXII's art director, Kamikokuyrou Isamu, is XIII's art director and as the trailer's have revealed, Isamu's breathtaking baroque aesthetic seems to have tempered the plastic, futuristic-sacharinity and over-simplicity of everything that Nomura Tetsuya touches--ostensibly the character designs are still very Nomura. The worlds the trailer briefly unveils looks like something I wish to immerse myself in. The music sounds as captivating, though not as ornate, as Sakimoto's FFXII score. So while my expectations for the direction, story, dialogue, and voice acting remain low, the art direction, music, and gameplay adequately retains my considerable interest and excitement.

As for FFVersusXIII, the music in the trailer while competent does sound a bit like a poor man's opera--watered down for an audience that doesn't know of Bellini or Puccini. The game itself looks dreadfully Nomura. If FFXII is an indictment of the maturity level of previous Final Fantasies and FFXIII a tearing down of the maturity level FFXII had achieved, FFVersusXIII looks to abolish all adult ambitions by winning the hearts of the demographic not quite old enough to get a driver's license--or those who enjoyed Kingdom Hearts. I don't know if I have the patience for a main character more sullen than a Prozac-popper on Medicare and so exceedingly self-absorbed he wears all black cause he thinks it's slimming.
    Last edited by lovedovey; 12-17-2007 at 04:26 AM.

I am expecting Final Fantasy XIII to out do them all, as I always do. There is no doubt in my mind this one will be better than XII. Although XII is my least favorite, I don't think it is a bad game. It is just my thirteen favorite. Personally I would love to see future installments that are closer to VI than they are to XII.

It always amazes me how some people are so eager to condemn something that they barely even know about...
    Please leave us common fools to enjoy the cliches of every Final fantasy that wasn't created by Matsuno.

Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

I liked all the FFs I played (VII, VIII, IX, X, XII).

I hope that FFXIII doesnt have a bad love story, like FFVIII and I hope it retains the sophistication and political intrigue of FFXII. But I hope that it has better overall character developement.

I'm most worried about FFvXIII because Nomura could screw it up. Especially if its anything like Kingdom Hearts.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

It never ceases to amaze me how people can pass judgment on a FF years before it even comes out with minimal information at best. My favorite was the internet outcry when FF VIII was announced. All anyone knew was that it was love story, and that the only confirmed characters at the time were Squall and Laguna. So countless people just assumed that it was a gay love story and swore never to play it.

While this rant is not as puerile as that one was (it was actually well written and makes some good points about FF XII) it's still moot since no one knows enough about the game to make these kinds of determinations.

I will reserve judgment until I spend no fewer than 15 hours with the game. I suggest you all do the same.
    Last edited by Silvercry; 12-17-2007 at 11:34 PM.

Because nothing beats the sound of a million voices screaming in unison.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercry View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how every people can pass judgment on a FF years before it even comes out with minimal information at best. My favorite was the internet outcry when FF VIII was announced. All anyone knew was that it was love story, and that the only confirmed characters at the time were Squall and Laguna. So countless people just assumed that it was a gay love story and swore never to play it.

While this rant is not as puerile as that one was (it was actually well written and makes some good points about FF XII) it's still moot since no one knows enough about the game to make these kinds of determinations.

I will reserve judgment until I spend no fewer than 15 hours with the game. I suggest you all do the same.
    Bravo! I agree with this man's post.

It never ceases to amaze me how every people can pass judgment on a FF years before it even comes out with minimal information at best. My favorite was the internet outcry when FF VIII was announced. All anyone knew was that it was love story, and that the only confirmed characters at the time were Squall and Laguna. So countless people just assumed that it was a gay love story and swore never to play it.
    It should have been. :P It worked for Wild Arms 2.

A gay love story would have been better than the one they ended up with. Because, frankly speaking, the final love story couldn't have got much worse.

Ok, I'll stop my rant. Of course I agree with Silvercry, although there is a difference between aprehension and writing a game off.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

I like VI and above just fine, and I celebrate their differences rather then wish they were all the same thing. I think VIII and XII are peachy the way they are. And I'm excited for XIII from what little I've seen. But lack of a love story didn't automatically equal "for big boys and girls" to me as it seems to for most people. I see good things about having one and not having one.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 12-17-2007 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post
    A gay love story would have been better than the one they ended up with. Because, frankly speaking, the final love story couldn't have got much worse.

I'm jonesing for a good lesbian romance sub-plot myself. Not for FF specifically, just in general. I'd play Mass Effect, but I don’t have a 360.

Because nothing beats the sound of a million voices screaming in unison.

I love both the love and political stories in FF but i actually prefer the love stories, FFXll just really didnt do much for me, the characters was not anything worth writing about (well i actually expected a gay ending with vaan and basch but that is just me...) and the story was to flat and boring.

I'm not a fan of the random battles but it would be good if they mixed the old battle system with the new ffXll.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    what!? wild arms 2 wasn't a gay love story.

but anyways... i am very excited for this game, and it is probably the only reason i will buy a ps3.

Quote Originally Posted by *Lady luck* View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    what!? wild arms 2 wasn't a gay love story.
    Brad and Billy. (It was more apparent in the Japanese version.)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That was a bit harsh... I mean, XII was great, spectacular, had a briliant story and I agree all that, but the other ones also have some depth to them. For example: when I think VII, I don't think "ZOMG, Cloud!", but of the story and how it touched life, death and all that stuff. I played all the FFs from the main series (excluding IX, unfortunately) as well as some of the spin-offs and love them all. Meh.

BTW, shouldn't this be in General FF? I mean, it's more about XII than XIII and there are also many other games mentioned.