18 58.06%
  • Mario (Mario)

8 25.81%
  • Dolentrean (Because he is awesome)

5 16.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Link Vs. Mario

Default Link Vs. Mario

Ok, here it is. Who is cooler/Who do you like more?

Awesome cool and possibly Irish Link?
    OR!
    Fat lazy Italian plumber Mario?

Lazy? Lazy people don't jump that much. Or play nearly as many sports. xP

Wow. This thread isn't biased.

Blog Entries

Wait.... another one?

Yeah, another one.

Go play Super Smash Bros. You'll find that Link kills Mario consistently.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Mario is clearly superior.
    jkhkjg

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

:monster:

Goku!

I like Mario way better. That's like asking me if I like Cecil or Kefka better.

I guess it's time for me to reveal my big secret about my hatred of Link and The Legend of Zelda series (which explains why I make really long responses for threads like these).

Frankly, Link is the video game character that I hate the most (I'm actually almost starting to like Snake being in Brawl better than Link being in Brawl). The thing is although some game series like Mario, Sonic, and Pokemon are really liked, there's also quite large group of people that absolutely abhor those series. With the Legend of Zelda series, there isn't a group like that (I'd personally like to see anyone link me to a site that's proves otherwise). Because of that Link and his game series are horribly overrated. There's barely any balance at all between Link fanboys and Link haters. The Legend of Zelda series shouldn't be an exception to this yet they are.

Besides Link being overrated I don't like his character design either. I know people find Link much cooler and much more easier to take seriously than Mario, but personally I really don't get how people would think someone who wears pantyhose and a miniskirt is cooler than someone who just wears a cap, a red shirt, gloves, and an ordinary pair of blue jeans. Link having a realistic human look yet having an elf outfit is a really awkard combination that I personally don't like (although other people do). I also find Link's Ocarina of Time voice a lot worse than Mario's voice (good thing they found a new voice actor for Link in the Twilight Princess). Although people like how Link doesn't rely on allies as much as Mario does, I have the exact opposite opinion. Not having allies shows unsociability and arrogance within a character.

Also although many of Link's games are really good, a lot of them are single player. Quite a lot of Mario's games don't have this problem. Although some of them are just spinoffs (like Mario Party, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, etc.) being able to play games with other people make those games much more fun despite not being that good. In a way, I guess a lot of people like Link's games better because they don't have anybody else to play multiplayer games with. Most of the time though, playing games multiplayer makes a game a lot more fun than playing a game that's of higher quality.

There's also those Link fans that want him to replace Mario for Nintendo's main mascot. Seriously, do we really want little kids to be growing up with Link instead of Mario? I know Mario does do some violent things like beat people with hammers and burn people with fire but Link is a lot worse. He shoots arrows at his victims and slashes and stabs people with his sword. There's a reason why Mario is Nintendo's main mascot and Link isn't. It's not just because Mario was made first. It's because Mario is one of the most family friendly mascots that Nintendo have (I mean do we really want little kids wanting to shoot missles like Samus or shooting at things with Airwings like Fox?). Link driving a go-cart or Captain Falcon shaking up a soda bottle doesn't make much sense (unless you're making some sort of "Falcon Punch" joke). Although some people don't like seeing Mario and his friends being reduced to doing random things like that they're the ones that best fit the job (although I'd like to see Pokemon or Kirby doing that one day just for fun...).

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    I like Mario way better. That's like asking me if I like Cecil or Kefka better.

I guess it's time for me to reveal my big secret about my hatred of Link and The Legend of Zelda series (which explains why I make really long responses for threads like these).

Frankly, Link is the video game character that I hate the most (I'm actually almost starting to like Snake being in Brawl better than Link being in Brawl). The thing is although some game series like Mario, Sonic, and Pokemon are really liked, there's also quite large group of people that absolutely abhor those series. With the Legend of Zelda series, there isn't a group like that (I'd personally like to see anyone link me to a site that's proves otherwise). Because of that Link and his game series are horribly overrated. There's barely any balance at all between Link fanboys and Link haters. The Legend of Zelda series shouldn't be an exception to this yet they are.
    Popularity is kind of a lame reason to hate a character and a game. (I hate Final Fantasy VII because it bored me to tears, not because it's so popular. xP) Link and the Zelda series receive higher praise because the games are so consistently awesome. Zelda games, with one or two exceptions, are always adventure games. There are very few spinoff games. Mario is more of a brand than a series of games, and because of that, it's difficult for one person to love all of his games because he's in just about every KIND of game.

Besides Link being overrated I don't like his character design either. I know people find Link much cooler and much more easier to take seriously than Mario, but personally I really don't get how people would think someone who wears pantyhose and a miniskirt is cooler than someone who just wears a cap, a red shirt, gloves, and an ordinary pair of blue jeans. Link having a realistic human look yet having an elf outfit is a really awkard combination that I personally don't like (although other people do). I also find Link's Ocarina of Time voice a lot worse than Mario's voice (good thing they found a new voice actor for Link in the Twilight Princess). Although people like how Link doesn't rely on allies as much as Mario does, I have the exact opposite opinion. Not having allies shows unsociability and arrogance within a character.
    Link always struck me as incredibly humble, really. The fact that he can be saving the world without anyone really noticing it's him is, like, the opposite of arrogance. As for his design, well, he's from a medieval fantasy style game. He's going to have a character design to match.

Also although many of Link's games are really good, a lot of them are single player. Quite a lot of Mario's games don't have this problem. Although some of them are just spinoffs (like Mario Party, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, etc.) being able to play games with other people make those games much more fun despite not being that good. In a way, I guess a lot of people like Link's games better because they don't have anybody else to play multiplayer games with. Most of the time though, playing games multiplayer makes a game a lot more fun than playing a game that's of higher quality.
    Zelda is a type of game that doesn't lend itself well to multiplayer. (Even though several of the Zelda games do have multiplayer modes.) Plus, Four Swords is way more fun than almost any multiplayer Mario experience. :P

There's also those Link fans that want him to replace Mario for Nintendo's main mascot. Seriously, do we really want little kids to be growing up with Link instead of Mario? I know Mario does do some violent things like beat people with hammers and burn people with fire but Link is a lot worse. He shoots arrows at his victims and slashes and stabs people with his sword. There's a reason why Mario is Nintendo's main mascot and Link isn't. It's not just because Mario was made first. It's because Mario is one of the most family friendly mascots that Nintendo have (I mean do we really want little kids wanting to shoot missles like Samus or shooting at things with Airwings like Fox?). Link driving a go-cart or Captain Falcon shaking up a soda bottle doesn't make much sense (unless you're making some sort of "Falcon Punch" joke). Although some people don't like seeing Mario and his friends being reduced to doing random things like that they're the ones that best fit the job (although I'd like to see Pokemon or Kirby doing that one day just for fun...).
    I don't think many people really want him to replace Mario as the mascot. Quite the contrary, really. I think most of his fans want him to stick to adventure games, maybe making an appearance in a fighting game now and then. If he was the mascot, that wouldn't happen. Plus, Mario is Mr. Nintendo. Link will never take over that spot. :P

I would hope my kids would want to aim a bit higher than being a plumber, anyway. xP

So, because people don't hate Link, you hate him. Wonderful logic there.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Sage!
    I recall a thread like this not 4 months ago.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

HEATED DEBATE ENSUES
    jkhkjg

Quote Originally Posted by No.78 View Post
    HEATED DEBATE ENSUES
    (Turns down the heat a little)

Anyways Roto13 I'm glad you agree that Link shouldn't take over Mario's position as Mr. Nintendo and I guess which one looks and is cooler is a matter of preference. I still disagree with some points though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Popularity is kind of a lame reason to hate a character and a game. (I hate Final Fantasy VII because it bored me to tears, not because it's so popular. xP) Link and the Zelda series receive higher praise because the games are so consistently awesome. Zelda games, with one or two exceptions, are always adventure games. There are very few spinoff games. Mario is more of a brand than a series of games, and because of that, it's difficult for one person to love all of his games because he's in just about every KIND of game.
    You got a point there. A lot of Link’s games are Adventure and RPGs which would make them have a better story and feel more complete. That still doesn’t give fans the right to bash on all Nintendo games that aren’t The Legend of Zelda. I know you probably haven’t encountered many people like that, but personally I’ve seen it a lot and I’m tired of seeing it. Also having people like a game too much makes them not give other games a chance (that's my problem with Link's games Skyblade). That's a little too common with Link fans. I know you'll probably say Mario is worse but that's what all the Mario haters are for: discouraging people from liking Mario too much and making them give other games a chance. Link doesn't have many which unbalances things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Zelda is a type of game that doesn't lend itself well to multiplayer. (Even though several of the Zelda games do have multiplayer modes.) Plus, Four Swords is way more fun than almost any multiplayer Mario experience. :P
    I agree with you there. Playing multiplayer games cooperatively is really fun. There isn’t much multiplayer Legend of Zelda games out there though which is why I usually stick to games like Mario and Bomberman. I’m kind of hoping that they make another Four Swords game for the DS or Wii.

Basically there’s nothing wrong with liking a game. But when it gets too popular to the point where it’s ridiculous, annoying, and it’s making their fans hate other game series just because they aren’t that game, it gets me angry.

'Cuz Everyone Needs Crazy Psychokitty's Avatar

I voted Dolentrean, because he made this Thread, and therefor, he is awsomesause.

If Mario and Link were to get in a heated battle, they would both die because Sonic the Hedgehog would spin dask in there and kick all their sorry bonguses! While I just personaly like Mario better than Link, and I just HATE Link, and Samus because their games just suck. Yea, they can be fun, but the over-all idea of the Legend of Zelda just sucks. Mario is better, but Sonic is the Ultimate in there, and then Cloud would come and omnislash them all to oblivian, because Cloud is the best!

And if you mess with the best, you will die like the rest!!!!!!!

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

I like Link on a much deeper level because I prefer the Zelda series and have played many more of the games, but Mario is more accessible and his games are quite light and happy. They're both super-awesome, but I like playing the Zelda games better, so I guess I'll have to go with Dolentrean, because I'm an indecisive twit. I would never want to see Link take Mario's place as Nintendo Mascot.