View Poll Results: Regarding the five member parties...

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • FFIV would've been better off with four member parties.

1 2.56%
  • Five member parties are good but the row system FFIV used wasn't.

9 23.08%
  • Five member parties and the FFIV row system were good. It should've been in other FFs though.

12 30.77%
  • Five member parties and the FFIV row system were good. They wouldn't fit well for other FFs though.

17 43.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Five Members at a Time in FFIV

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The five-member party was an advancement for the series, and it's highly unfortunate that it didn't become a mainstay the way the ATB system did.

I loved the 5 person set-up, it made for interesting party set ups and made for much more interesting battles. I personally hated the 3 man party set up with a passion and though most of the later FFs could of really used more party members to make the battles more interesting and enjoyable.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Yeah. You think that they would've kept five party teams to show how complex and outstanding the FF ATBs are...

I don't know. Maybe I was warped by playing FFT/TA and I pretty much...think..."More is merrier."

Although I enjoyed being able to use five characters in battle, the row system was too awkward. I would've preferred to have been able to put more characters in the back row, for example.

It did offer a nice challenge though, and FFX is similar in a way - you can mostly bring out any party member in battle, just not more than three at a time.

I liked it. I know it have much use in FFV so the ditched it, but in FF VI the fact that your party had tobe restricted to 4 people was pulling enough weight that you had to split up for no real reason. It shoul've been used more.

As for the rowing system, yeah I think it made sense. You can't really defend four people with one guy so putting more people in the back would be silly. I don't see why they restriched the other way around.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffer View Post
    I liked it. I know it have much use in FFV so the ditched it, but in FF VI the fact that your party had tobe restricted to 4 people was pulling enough weight that you had to split up for no real reason. It shoul've been used more.
    Do you think that Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, and Final Fantasy VIII would have been better games if they provided more reasons for you to split up, more party members in the party, or something like that? What do you think should've been used more?
    I believe in the power of humanity.