Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Wii's Place In The Console War...

Quote Originally Posted by Raebus View Post

Probably not too relevant to this thread but it made me chuckle.

As for my serious post, the wii's place is uncertain. It's doing great right now but...who know's how well it'll be doing a few month or even a year from now.
    Ugh. Ctrl+Alt+Del...

Worst. Web. Comic. EVAR.

Vid game Cats > all others.

Though I see the relevance in the comic.

Edit: Wtf, changed to not funny?
    Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Hardcore games don't even tend to do as well on the Wii; Miyamoto himself was disappointed with Twilight Princesses sales on the Wii, and I've heard that Mario Galaxy isn't selling as well as one would expect either, but I can't seem to find sales numbers on that right now (and since I'm visiting family and "borrowing" a neighbours crappy wireless connection, I can't bother to try very hard right now).
    Miyamoto was expecting more sales from Japan. It barely broke 500,000 when he made that comment, if that. I imagine it has to do with the fact TP was overly cliche (people don't except it though), had horrid audio production values (Even for Midi standards). The gameplay was rehashed, despite what other will say, and items were not used that often out of their dungeon. Maybe one or two, but most of them no. It had nice graphics, but Japan isn't as big on graphics as we are. I am not saying that these make the game bad per se, but those are potential factors to TP not doing so well in Japan.

SMG is selling very normal for a Mario platformer. People are assuming that Japan is being lazy again with its poor sales compared to the US, but Mario platformers aren't that big over there. It already broke 1,000,000 worldwide a week after release, so it is doing fine. I lot of people can't comprehend that it isn't unusual for a Mario spin-off DS game to outsell a canon Mario Wii game in Japan. Back when Nsider was open, I was talking with a person who lived in Japan (Razzalyn for those who there before it closed), and she mentioned that spin-off games were more popular than canon games.

For now, Wii seems to be king, but only for now. It will be up to Nintendo to make either great chioces which can keep them there, or they can smurf it all up again. If Sony wants to be No. 1 again, they'll have to make some DRASTIC changes. If Microsoft wants to be No. 1, they aren't far off. Maybe they'll be No. 1 again next Christmas? OR maybe Sony will strip the PS3 of all the unnecessary things it hold to finally become affordable.

Personally, neither one of these three consoles have impressed me yet, and I own 0 of them. I'm fine with PS2 and GBA/DS, thankyouverymuchg'bye.

Well, in a few Months Wii will still be King. Smash Bro's Brawl anyone?

Theres so much godly hype about the game, and so many people that play it, there is no way Nintendo is dying out withing a Year. And all the great things people say about Metroid Prime 3?

Also, they are getting plenty of third party support. I remember hearing a harvest moon was coming out on the Wii, and with No More Heroes coming out in Febuary, I'm not seeing getting good third party companies to develop for it.

And with this new way of playing Shooters, I think it's going to attract plenty FPS gamers, so I don't think Microsoft is going to be nearly as far ahead in that department as they use to be. (With Halo, they will still be the main target of Shooter Fans though, I'm just sayng the Gap will likely shrink).

Though I'm not going to count PS3 out. I mean titles like Tekken 6, (And I assume SC4), they will probably lead in the Fighting Game department. In addition with RPG's like FF XIII coming out, I think PS3 will do just fine.

As for 360, not only do they get the Ever popular Halo 3, but I've heard a lot of good things about BioShock. And with Two of the original Square employies forming Mistwalker, the RPG Fanbase is definately interested in the 360 because of Blue Dragon, and the (Hopefully) soon to come Lost Odyssy.

While I'm going go ahead and say it's likely that Wii will reign on top, the others are far from failing. (Unless Sony continues to make stupid mistakes, but I dont' think they are dumb enough to spiral downward more.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scarmiglione View Post
    For now, Wii seems to be king, but only for now. It will be up to Nintendo to make either great chioces which can keep them there, or they can smurf it all up again. If Sony wants to be No. 1 again, they'll have to make some DRASTIC changes. If Microsoft wants to be No. 1, they aren't far off. Maybe they'll be No. 1 again next Christmas? OR maybe Sony will strip the PS3 of all the unnecessary things it hold to finally become affordable.

Personally, neither one of these three consoles have impressed me yet, and I own 0 of them. I'm fine with PS2 and GBA/DS, thankyouverymuchg'bye.
    I don't think that Microsoft will make it king easily. They have no support in Japan, and that continues to hurt them. More importanlty though, there is nothing coming out that will make non-360 owners buy the 360 soon. They will get a huge boost form after Christmas sales (but so will the Wii), and more importantly though, there isn't any software on the horizon that will sell more consoles. Wii has Brawl coming out soon, which will sells a lot more hardware.

Is it possible? Yes. But I doubt it. The 360 is biased towards shooters and shooter-esque games. Once all shooter fans consumers buy a 360 (assuming they want too), there probably won't have a strong enough fanbase to get enough support. Nintendo is better at this kind of stuff. They can cover nearly every genre with some sort of balance (and third-party support nearly determines that balance, which the Wii will get a lot of). The 360's marketing strategy isn't bad, but it does appeal to a more limited audience, and at least half of that audience has a 360 by now. I think that is the main reason the 360 will have a difficult time making it to first.

Put it this way: When it comes to software, Nintendo can appeal to a much broader audience, even if no audience gets a myriad of games up to par with the 360's shooter fanbase. They already got the casual gamers, which is the biggest group out there. The Wii still having stock issues, which hinders sales, but shows vast interest. More audience=more sales. One cannot deny that the Wii appeals to more people than the 360 (this includes non-gamers BTW)

@NeoCracker: Commericially, the 360 will probably struggle in the JRPG department. Blue Dragon didn't do so well. LO was dumb enough to release itself around DQIVDS. Although not direct competitors, a Dragon Quest game (regardless of consoles or system), anything has trouble when its relesed. In America, Brawl and LO are being released on the same day, so I think you get the picture. By the time Cry On and Blue Dragon 2 comes out, the Wii will have a strong lead in the RPG department. The 360 will have difficult making a solid sales of its JRPGs. Oh, and Eternal Sonata went for the most part ignored, and some are getting the PS3 version when it comes out instead. Their untitled MMORPG might make a lot of money though.
    Last edited by Zora; 12-26-2007 at 05:46 AM.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Nintendo chose a different path than its competitors when they developed and release the Wii, and they will enjoy the benefits of that uniqueness for the next couple of years.

What will their next move be?

I do not consider the Wii as a console in the same sense that I think of the Playstation 3 or the Xbox 360 because it was not developed to outperform the other two. It was made to entertain with a differently-styled set of features than its competitors, and I think that the market will evolve to cater to this. I do not think that most games that used to be ported to all three consoles will still be ported to all three consoles; rather, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 will share those games with their ports and the Wii will have a more unique lineup.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

I really can't say. Even though the Wii is selling almost everyone single one one by one, there isn't enough being sold. The PS3 is selling decently but no one is really buying any games cause no good ones r coming out (until the end of '08 of course). The Xbox 360 I haven't been paying attention about but with all of the Halo fans I've seen 360 should be selling alright. Here is my results

What I think the order is of selling enough
    Xbox 360
    Wii
    PS3

How I think it should be by sometime in '08 is
    Wii
    PS3
    Xbox 360

This isn't either going by favorites either because the Wii so far I know is coming out with a Ocean load of good games. The PS3 have some great new titles that I know of coming around. The Xbox 360 so far I don't think has anything cool happening yet but probably will soon.

Thanks Polaris for the Awesome Avy and Sig!
    Beaten FF I,III,IV,V,VI,VII,VII CC,VII DC, VIII,IX,X,XII,XIII Dissidia Currently on I&X-2