Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wii's Place In The Console War...

Default The Wii's Place In The Console War...

Do you think Nintendo is doing a good job with the console war right now? I know the Wii is still sold out all around the world but that's both a blessing and a curse because at the moment the Big N hasn't been able to meet demand...Some people might give up waiting for a Wii and they might walk into a store and buy a 360 or PS3.

Blog Entries

In b4 huge debate feat. roto, Dreddz, vivi22, and JKTrix

imho, I don't care how the Wii is doing. I'm not planning on buying one anytime soon.

there was a picture here

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

The PlayStation3 is getting gang-raped so badly by the other two consoles that I can say with certainty that it getting out of last place is a pipe-dream.

If people give up waiting for a Wii now, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will never buy one after that point - even if the supply rises to meet demand. The hype behind the Wii is simply too strong to be stopped; people are going to keep waiting for it for as long as it takes to get their hands on one.

What the Wii is lacking in is software. I have a Wii and a 360, I love my Wii, went through bitter weather to get it to. I really enjoy the games I have for it, the problom is that the list is somewhat lacking in good games right now. There are way to many crappy Wii ports. That said I am still an avid supporter of the Wii.

My 360 on the other hand has many many cool games, exclusive and Multi-Platform, the 360 as of right now in my oppinion has the strongest base in the console war.

I called it way before the PS3 ever came out, it is getting owned right now, It has been picking up on sales slightly. After it loseing exclusive rights on games like Assassins Creed, and Devil May Cry four, and being forced into a price drop, it is going to need a killer amp to get itself back in the standings. I wouldnt count it out yet.
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?

Considering it's sold more in one year than the Xbox 360 did in two, I'd say it's pretty obvious that the Wii is doing incredibly well.

Quote Originally Posted by John_912 View Post
    Some people might give up waiting for a Wii and they might walk into a store and buy a 360 or PS3.
    LOL!Everytime i hear something like this i can't stop laughing.Seriously guys do you really think that if someone really wants to buy a console would let something like that to stop him...?If i really want to buy a console i will look to more than one shop.If i really can't find one then i'll buy it online.Simple as that.This was a marketing trick to try to sell more (mostly to unsuspecting casual gamers or to people that have never buyed a console before) and i think it really helped to boost sales for the Wii.Even Sony tried something like that at first when the PS3 was out...

If it was in the beginning, it's not a marketing trick now. There's already plenty of hype surrounding the Wii. They're losing lots of potential money by not having enough supply to meet the demand.

THE WII WILL FAIL IN THE FACE OF THE MIGHTY DREAMCAST 2.

The 360, the Wii, and the Ps3 are fine and not going anywhere. Games will continue to be made for all of them. I think it's a safe bet to pick any choice. Of course, the 360 is the best choice, uweeweewee /kefka.

The Wii's place in the console "war" is and will be quite honkey dorey. They'll fix their whole shortage thing well enough.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 12-23-2007 at 08:22 PM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wouldn't be worried about the shortages losing the Wii any sales to be honest. Fact is, it's not even targeting the same market as the 360 and PS3. Nintendo and other companies have successfully targeted casual gamers, but people looking for more hardcore games like MGS4, DMC4, God of War, and others which typically put off the casual gamer due to being too hard, or too complicated will look to the other consoles. Hardcore games don't even tend to do as well on the Wii; Miyamoto himself was disappointed with Twilight Princesses sales on the Wii, and I've heard that Mario Galaxy isn't selling as well as one would expect either, but I can't seem to find sales numbers on that right now (and since I'm visiting family and "borrowing" a neighbours crappy wireless connection, I can't bother to try very hard right now).

The Wii is selling itself successfully as the party system and the system the whole family can pick up and play for 15-30 minutes and have fun doing, without taking the time to master controls, or memorize levels; something the other two have no interest in doing. And at the end of the day, for the casual gamer that is into the stuff the Wii is selling, they're not going to find it on the other systems, so they're not likely to go with the 360 or PS3. Just like the person interested in the more hardcore style games won't find a lot on the Wii that suits them compared to the other two.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I think the Wii is holding its own against the Xbox 360 very well (PS3 makes me chuckle, who the hell can even afford one?!), I love my Wii to death (given that I worked my ass off all summer to get it), and I chose it over the 360 because of game choice, basically. I don't really care for violent FPS games and such. If I want to play Halo 3 or something, I'd just go over to my cousin's house. I'd say the Wii is doing very well. <3

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

It's kind of like a boxing match, where two guys are in the ring beating the hell out of one another and a third guy is outside the ring taking bets on who's going to win. And pocketing all the money.

Consoles are for pussies. I hurl barrels at people off construction scaffolding.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    Consoles are for pussies. I hurl barrels at people off construction scaffolding.
    !!!

*grabs hammer*

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I wouldn't be worried about the shortages losing the Wii any sales to be honest. Fact is, it's not even targeting the same market as the 360 and PS3. Nintendo and other companies have successfully targeted casual gamers, but people looking for more hardcore games like MGS4, DMC4, God of War, and others which typically put off the casual gamer due to being too hard, or too complicated will look to the other consoles. Hardcore games don't even tend to do as well on the Wii; Miyamoto himself was disappointed with Twilight Princesses sales on the Wii, and I've heard that Mario Galaxy isn't selling as well as one would expect either, but I can't seem to find sales numbers on that right now (and since I'm visiting family and "borrowing" a neighbours crappy wireless connection, I can't bother to try very hard right now).

The Wii is selling itself successfully as the party system and the system the whole family can pick up and play for 15-30 minutes and have fun doing, without taking the time to master controls, or memorize levels; something the other two have no interest in doing. And at the end of the day, for the casual gamer that is into the stuff the Wii is selling, they're not going to find it on the other systems, so they're not likely to go with the 360 or PS3. Just like the person interested in the more hardcore style games won't find a lot on the Wii that suits them compared to the other two.
    Ever think that real hardcore gamers might actually be interested in trying the new things the Wii has to offer? Wave after wave of FPS games and a "new" Madden every year are pretty much the opposite of hardcore. I used to work for Xbox. I can tell you there's nothing hardcore about it's fanbase.

I disagree with people who say that the PS3, and especially the 360 are for more 'hardcore' gamers. Seriously, if you want a funny and kinda true rundown of the console wars go to here. I don't really agree with his opinion on some of his game reviews but they're funny as

I think that the Wii is doing quite well, and that just because there is a load of casual games for it, there's a few the of 'hardcore' games too, and more to be released (Brawl anyone?). If you want real hardcore games, you don't look on console anyway :-| PC is the only place for it, and probably will be for a long time.

</pre>
    Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer