Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How complicated is it to chip a PS2 Slim console?

Banned

Default How complicated is it to chip a PS2 Slim console?

I asked the same thing on a Swedish forum a few days ago, and I got a list of a crapload of things that obviously were necessary, like wires and screws and God knows all.
    Is this really necessary?
    I thought you would be fine with just soldering the chip together with the console...?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I really think you should follow the guidelines - just to be on the safe side. After all, you don't want to destroy £100 worth of Playstation just to cut a few corners now, do you?

"As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Céladon View Post
    I really think you should follow the guidelines - just to be on the safe side. After all, you don't want to destroy £100 worth of Playstation just to cut a few corners now, do you?

Hm, £100 is 1500 Swedish Crowns, I think.

I think I bought my PS2 Slim for that much, and no, I don't want to destroy it.

Oh yeah, I'll try and read the guidelines then, I want to play Star Ocean: The Second Story soon.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It'd probably be pretty hard if you don't know anything about electronics or soldering. Usually the soldering process involves getting some wires attached to some really small contacts, difficult to make unless you have experience. You might be better off letting a professional do it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu View Post
    It'd probably be pretty hard if you don't know anything about electronics or soldering. Usually the soldering process involves getting some wires attached to some really small contacts, difficult to make unless you have experience. You might be better off letting a professional do it.
    Yeah, but do professionals allow themselves to work with this kind of stuff?
    I thought chips were considered illegal or something...

I do know of an Audio & Video store about 25 miles from my home district, so could I ask them to do it?

Chipping any console is illegal so your not going to find many stores willing to do it. I got mine chipped at a chinese food store that also sold imported video games. Kinda worrying leaving my PS2 overnight at a store run by people that barely spoke any English but thankfully they came through and I have actually become a local there since.

I would really advise you not to do it yourself. Its actually more expensive buying all the tools yourself and theres no trial and error. If you screw up its a 95% chance you've broken your PS2 for good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Chipping any console is illegal so your not going to find many stores willing to do it. I got mine chipped at a chinese food store that also sold imported video games. Kinda worrying leaving my PS2 overnight at a store run by people that barely spoke any English but thankfully they came through and I have actually become a local there since.

I would really advise you not to do it yourself. Its actually more expensive buying all the tools yourself and theres no trial and error. If you screw up its a 95% chance you've broken your PS2 for good.
    Oh, man.

I could always ask my father as well: he's actually qualified as an electrician, and he also tends to like video games, so he probably will take time with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_20 View Post
    I could always ask my father as well: he's actually qualified as an electrician, and he also tends to like video games, so he probably will take time with it. :cool:
    Thats probably the best idea. You dont need to know much about the insides of your PS2 to chip it, its just soldering and putting the mod chip in that'll probably need skilled hands. Any electrician should be able to do it with the right guidelines.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I could always ask my father as well: he's actually qualified as an electrician, and he also tends to like video games, so he probably will take time with it.
    That sounds like your best option, although I am of course not advocating any sort of illegal activity on your part ...

The only places in the UK that chip consoles are untrustworthy shops and scary men who operate their own market stalls. A few months ago, I visited a computer fair, and it was quite frightening to see the amount of pirated goods on sale there. Signs such as 'chip your console for just £20' with miniscule 'no refunds' stickers underneath those spring to mind immediately. :/
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Pesonally i'm really considering buying a NTSC PS2 with a NTSC to PAL video converter and be done with it!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    Pesonally i'm really considering buying a NTSC PS2 with a NTSC to PAL video converter and be done with it!
    What, what, what?
    Please elaborate.
    What is this NTSC to PAL converter stuff?
    It souns SO much simpler!

Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    What, what, what?
    Please elaborate.
    What is this NTSC to PAL converter stuff?
    It souns SO much simpler!
    PAL/NTSC video converter multisystem vcr pal ntsc system converters and multi system pal vcr products

You do realise that buying a new system and the converter is twice as expensive as just getting it chipped. Plus you wont be able to play NTSC-J games as well as having two consoles sitting side by side cluttering your room.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    You do realise that buying a new system and the converter is twice as expensive as just getting it chipped. Plus you wont be able to play NTSC-J games as well as having two consoles sitting side by side cluttering your room.
    I knew a some people that rushed to chip their PS2s and their systems crushed a couple months later.So i really don't trust shops and people who claim that their able to do it.I prefer to pay double price and be 100% safe.Also i'm thankful that i have lot's of space for my consoles.

The only real drawback is that i will not be able to play J-NTSC games but i don't speak Japanese anyway(for RPGs)

Banned

I actually think all European consoles should be sold with chips already inserted.

I find it extremely idiotic that I would have to adjust my console by illegal means just because the Japanese always go "lolz t3h You-r0w-pee-ans dOn't understanD Are-Pee-Je3Z".