Thread: Can just turning the power off from the main power switch on the ps3 really harm it

Default Can just turning the power off from the main power switch on the ps3 really harm it

I was reading the system directions on the ps3 and it said if you turn the system off from the main power switch in the back before it is stand bye mode it could possibly harm the system.

Not that I have done it but is that really true or are they just giving some extra extra extra precaution.

Making it that easy to harm the system seems a little odd.

Did they say the same thing about turning it off from the switch in the back on the ps2 as well.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It might have something to do with not letting the system turn off properly. Given the intricacy of the parts inside, it's more likely.

Leaving your Playstation in standby mode instead of turning it off at the switch is supposed to prolong the life of the system, though.

Blog Entries

It was the same case with the PS2, and any other 'standby' consoles, iirc.

there was a picture here

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

There are probably some processes and functions that are performed when the system goes into standby mode to help it run smoother.

I would equate turning off your PS3 with the main power switch to turning of your desktop/laptop with it's power switch rather than going through the OS to turn the computer off. It might not harm the computer, but it's better to let the OS clean things up before it is shut down.
    Figaro Castle

I rarely turn my PS2's main switch off, and I've had it for 5 or so years and it still works as if it were new. My friend has only had his for a year or so and it needs to be replaced because he doesn't put it into standby before turning it off. So you be the judge.

I wouldnt worry about it so much but considering the PS3 is so expensive you'd be wise to try your best not to harm it.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    considering the PS3 is so expensive you'd be wise to try your best not to harm it.
    Unless you're filthy rich. In which case, I hate you...
    Figaro Castle

I've never left my PS2 or PS3 on standby for some reason. Probably because of the electricity bill, the PS3 in particular is a power hog. Although I am trying to teach my younger siblings how to turn it off properly.
    "Reality is that which,
    when you stop believing in it,
    doesn't go away".
    Philip K. Dick

I turn my PS2 off by the main pwer switch always, and its fine. I have it for years as well.

I also turn my laptop off by the main power switch. Maybe I should stop doing that, as recently Ive noticed it slowing down.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You wouldn't just flip your computers power switch to turn it off would you? (I certainly hope not anyway).

The OS for a computer, or console for that matter,could be running any number of applications in the background that you don't even know about. Suddenly cutting the power could lead to things like corrupt or damaged files, and other problems. Maybe this never affects you, maybe you turn it on one day and find it can't load the XMB. Also, it's generally a good idea to not expose your computer or console to sudden power surges like that as it could possibly damage them. Again, maybe you never have a problem, or maybe they crap out on you in a year. The point is, unless you like wasting time and money, play it safe and shut them down properly.