Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Game Series That Shouldn't Have Died and Games that Need a Sequel

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    All of the above, definitely. Possibly Jazz Jackrabbit too? I think that's pretty much dead, isn't it?
    I think Epic may be a little busy these days with other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut2000X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Lufia 1 and 2 need either remakes or ports, (Preferably remakes in kick ass graphics) and then then continue from their.

No need to leave Ruins of Lore and LEgend returns in the story.
    I dunno I liked the graphics in the first 2. They weren't half bad and they flowed real well. Better then many other RPG's of the day. Though a revamp couldn't hurt. Though I defiantly want them to be ported over so their goodness can be given to new generations of gamers so they can see how video games should be without all dem flashy special LSD effects nowadays.
    I wasn't so keen of the Graphics in Fortress of Doom, but Rise of the Sinistrals was quite good.

I just like improved Graphics is all, I'd be perfectly happy with a port.

You know, I should learn how to use RPG Maker and recreate these games myself, only adding in more so you can learn something of Arek since they won't do it themselves.

However I have no energy for such a thing, and thus it won't happen. :P

Thinking back on it yeah Lufia's town sets were kind of un-detailed. Though I kind of like the colorful graphics of the first one.

But yeah I wish they would of finished Ruins Chasers so we finally learned about Arek.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchrono View Post
    The only problem with them making more Xenogears games like a few of you alluded to is that they covered many of the plotlines that would have been covered in the other chapters already in the original xenogears game. So if you did play more xenogears games it would be like you were playing a game where you already knew the story. Don't get me wrong I think Xenogears has the best story ever covered in the video game world but it is a story that has pretty much already been told.

Xenosaga on the other hand could have been just as good as xenogears had it been allowed to continue on but it was the directors own stupidity which doomed that series so I don't feel to bad about the xenosaga series fizzling out.
    I'm guessing you were assuming everyone wanting sequels of Xenogears. But Xenogears was already stated as the last game in the supposed series of the Xeno- games.

I was actually talking about a Xenosaga like game, but with work from Squaresoft/Square-Enix. Since the companies switched, the games that were intended to be created as prequels to Xenogears were very likely altered from his original idea from Xenogears. Proof of this is that he already stated that Xenosaga isn't based off of Xenogears.

I was stating that I would have liked the Xeno- series to have continued on with Square instead of making/going under Monolith/Namco.

It's what happens when the director expects all this money from Square when it was his very first time directing a game. If the game had done really well and Square saw that, they would have given him more money. Not to mention that only a few years later Square merged with Enix. IF he had stuck with Square, by the time the 3rd game for the Xeno series came out, there would have been alot more money for production and alot more workers and experience under his belt. Not to mention that the characters would look sweet with Final Fantasy FMV styled cut scenes and he would have had alot of experienced people in the same company to consult on certain matters pertaining to the games he would create.

But all that is ifs and buts. He did what he wanted and he probably regrets it right about now. All because FFVII and VIII took some money for production for Xenogears. Blah. He should have known from the start which game would take top priority. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaCloudStrife View Post
    The only problem with them making more Xenogears games like a few of you alluded to is that they covered many of the plotlines that would have been covered in the other chapters already in the original xenogears game. So if you did play more xenogears games it would be like you were playing a game where you already knew the story. Don't get me wrong I think Xenogears has the best story ever covered in the video game world but it is a story that has pretty much already been told.

Xenosaga on the other hand could have been just as good as xenogears had it been allowed to continue on but it was the directors own stupidity which doomed that series so I don't feel to bad about the xenosaga series fizzling out.
    I'm guessing you were assuming everyone wanting sequels of Xenogears. But Xenogears was already stated as the last game in the supposed series of the Xeno- games.

I was actually talking about a Xenosaga like game, but with work from Squaresoft/Square-Enix. Since the companies switched, the games that were intended to be created as prequels to Xenogears were very likely altered from his original idea from Xenogears. Proof of this is that he already stated that Xenosaga isn't based off of Xenogears.

I was stating that I would have liked the Xeno- series to have continued on with Square instead of making/going under Monolith/Namco.

It's what happens when the director expects all this money from Square when it was his very first time directing a game. If the game had done really well and Square saw that, they would have given him more money. Not to mention that only a few years later Square merged with Enix. IF he had stuck with Square, by the time the 3rd game for the Xeno series came out, there would have been alot more money for production and alot more workers and experience under his belt. Not to mention that the characters would look sweet with Final Fantasy FMV styled cut scenes and he would have had alot of experienced people in the same company to consult on certain matters pertaining to the games he would create.

But all that is ifs and buts. He did what he wanted and he probably regrets it right about now. All because FFVII and VIII took some money for production for Xenogears. Blah. He should have known from the start which game would take top priority. Oh well.

I don't know. I'm not sure Square would have ever backed his idea and the way Takahashi himself wanted to do things. Making games that have to rely on eachother to be considered complete instead of being complete themselves is always a big risk.

For starters if one game isn't received well it can really hurt the rest of the games in the series.

Another thing is is that it would be really hard for the production team to stay together throughout the length of the entire series.

And lastly when you are talking about a six games series you are probably talking about it taking 10-15 years for it to be completed. That is an awful long time for a fanbase to stay interested in the series (and gaming in general).

If Takahashi was smart he would have decided to make longer but fewer games than he did. And if he was truly smart he never would have been so adament about trying to tell the story of his vision through a video game platform in the first place. He would have written it in book format instead of game format.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaCloudStrife View Post

I don't know. I'm not sure Square would have ever backed his idea and the way Takahashi himself wanted to do things. Making games that have to rely on eachother to be considered complete instead of being complete themselves is always a big risk.

For starters if one game isn't received well it can really hurt the rest of the games in the series.

Another thing is is that it would be really hard for the production team to stay together throughout the length of the entire series.

And lastly when you are talking about a six games series you are probably talking about it taking 10-15 years for it to be completed. That is an awful long time for a fanbase to stay interested in the series (and gaming in general).

If Takahashi was smart he would have decided to make longer but fewer games than he did. And if he was truly smart he never would have been so adament about trying to tell the story of his vision through a video game platform in the first place. He would have written it in book format instead of game format.
    While a game in a series being terrible does effect the series as a whole, it doesn't mean that it'll deal a huge hit to the series or company that is backing production of the game. There are many ways to go about creating a series. Take the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII for example. Each game is it's own little story and yet one game doesn't effect all, or at least not in a huge way. Dirge of Cerberus is considered a big failure and yet it won't really effect something like Crisis Core or even a game that would continue on to explain Genesis after the events of DoC.

These kind of moves are really smart imo. If Square-Enix would have made a chronologically ordered series set from before VII to after Advent Children that DID require each game to rely on each other to complete an entire story, I'm pretty sure the games would decrease in fanbase and sales as the series continued.

As for production teams, you don't need the same people working on every game. Each Final Fantasy has a different set of production staff working on it. Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII, while being strongly related to each other have a completely different set of people working on each one. Same went with FFX and X-2 and many many other games and their sequels not related to any one company.(dot Hack for one example) You don't necessarily need the same team working on each game in a continuous game series as long as the script is completely written out(and it was in the case of Xenogears) then everything that's really needed is already there.

And just because 10-15 years goes by doesn't mean that the next generation of gamers can't play the old games to catch up. There are still people who buy Xenogears because they heard it was a really nice RPG, and the same goes for any old school RPG. My case being that a fanbase can still grow even if a series is already 3 or so games old. And if they were to have made the games playable/understandable(Which is pretty easy if you considering something along the lines of a recap intro) on their own without being reliant on any of the previous games(as stated before with the Compilation idea) then the potential for success is all the more possible.

As for books; there are some. It's called "Perfect Works" in which the first book was(I believe) released around the time when Xenogears was released. And with the backing of books being released along with games it would be alot easier to catch up on the entire story of Xenogears if any fans wouldn't want to have to play through an entire set of games to do so. There's also a possibility for manga and anime too since this is Japan and there was already an anime based on Xenosaga.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I hope I get proved wrong on this. Golden Sun.

Vandal Hearts, although there is a version coming out for the DS...

I still miss the bloody spurting action though :P

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyxsora View Post
    A new installment is long overdue.

As for me, I'd love to see some new classic-styled Kirby games, not the stupid knockoff games recently released. The franchise died in my eyes when Kirby Air Ride came out. The graphics were beautiful, but the gameplay kinda sucked.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    I dont know if the monkey island series is dead but i think there should be another one
    Totally. But having said that, the quality of 3 and 4 were much lower quality than the first two. They might kill the series.

Elaine's accent changed from British to American between the third and fourth. What's up with that?!
    I actually thought the quality of 3 was as good as 2. But 4 did seem to go downhill
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Diablo III,Parasite Eve III,Killer Instinct III,Golden Sun III
    All yes plz.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphic View Post
    Parasite Eve III
    Parasite Eve 3 Mobile Preview, Parasite Eve 3 Preview

Japan-only cell phones lol

However, this recently went from 'impossible to come out in the west' to 'extremely unlikely to come out in the west'. Small glimmer of hope.

I recall some recent rumours about one of the major Japanese phone companies showing some interest in the US phone market. So if some of their phones come out here, then we'd be able to get some of those awesome-looking cell phone games. Still unlikely though.

Also, talk of a new Golden Sun has been floating around for a long time. And according to Surfer Girl (of questionable credibility, but has been making some waves recently with the info she seems to have access to), a new one is "Definitely" coming. Could be DS or Wii.
    Last edited by JKTrix; 01-09-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poetically Pathetic View Post
    As for me, I'd love to see some new classic-styled Kirby games, not the stupid knockoff games recently released. The franchise died in my eyes when Kirby Air Ride came out. The graphics were beautiful, but the gameplay kinda sucked. :(
    Ok, so I've come to the conclusion that none of you play handheld games.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

stargate game was cancelled

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poetically Pathetic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyxsora View Post
    A new installment is long overdue.

As for me, I'd love to see some new classic-styled Kirby games, not the stupid knockoff games recently released. The franchise died in my eyes when Kirby Air Ride came out. The graphics were beautiful, but the gameplay kinda sucked.
    What about the handheld games, like Squeek Squad?