Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Determining who's the most evil villains

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I'd say evilness has to do with the character's motivation for being evil. That's also an integral factor in whether they're a well-developed character or not.

Some villains are evil 'just because'; they try to destroy the world because they can, or because they're bored. This is utterly meaningless to me; all it says is that the writers were too lazy to give the villain a proper story, and instead just wanted a villain to threaten the world.

A lot of villains have a vague, twisted sense of wanting the world to be a better place in some way. Even Sauron (from Tolkien's works) was carrying on Morgoth's plans to make the world, and life itself, a stable and regulated process.

Going back to the rather silly argument that prompted this thread in the first place...

To me, Kefka is a fairly weak villain. Sure, he was evil and insane and hate hate hated everything, but there was very little method to his madness. He wanted power because he was crazy. He became a godlike entity, then decided he had to destroy the world for little reason except that the plot required a threat to the world in order for the heroes to have something to fight against. In plenty of debates about Kefka's meaning as a character, all that can be offerd by some debaters is that he "represents the evil in all of us".

Sephiroth, on the other hand, has a fairly involved past, with layers of betrayal and deceit that turned him against the world. Combining the strongest and worst aspects of two species, his plan to cripple the world would grant him absolute power over all life - something he earnestly believed was his rightful place, though his reasons for that belief changed over time. Unfortunately, a lot of Sephiroth's more... shallow fans are drawn to the style over the substance, which can lead to the impression that he's only popular because of omg teh hawt bishie uber SORD!!! or somesuch.

I like the characters of Kefka and Sephiroth. They're both powerful figures who drive the plots of their respective games. But Sephiroth's motivations set him apart, to me, as a character with more conscious malice, a more genuine willingness to destroy in order to achieve his ends. Mindless destruction is scary and upsetting, but deliberate and purposeful destruction instills a broader range of stronger emotions.
    QFT in my books, especially the fans part...

I think that Sephiroth is more evil, but I can give a good reason why. Kefka's actions, just inhibit feelings of 'wtf' and 'holy that crazy evil guy'. You don't have any real connection to those people that get killed. But in FF7, as we all know, Sephiroth kills Aeris, rather unceremoniously and for me at least that drove me to kill that son of a bitch. And I'm fairly sure it did for others. Sephiroth's evil-ness is a more romantic evil, it has deep reason, but for alot of other villains it's just power hunger mixed in with some mental illness and a dash of fireballs.

I did like Vayne as a villain though, one of the only things I liked about the games. I just wish you could see more of him.
    Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Luca Blight.

Because he is pretty much the completely bat insane stereotype, but he actually has real reasons for being such a thing that would have messed anyone up. He is crazy, and he's mad with revenge, but he has reasoning for wanting this revenge so desperately.

As for what makes someone evil, I think Big D's sums it up. Actions can be impossibly evil but it's the motivations which really rank someone's place on the tree of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cactuar View Post
    You don't have any real connection to those people that get killed.
    I cried when Leo died.
    This space intentionally left blank.

this entire debate can be summed up with a Final Fantasy quote:
    "Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just 2 sides holding different views."
    ~Squall

Simply put with some examples, Sephiroth saw what happened to Jenova and himself, as evil, while the "heroes" saw what he was doing as evil.
    This is similar in Tales of Symphonia, where the main "villain" was trying to make up for the prejudice against his race in the past.
    Kefka hated life and saw no point to it. You can call him insane if you want, but Kefka's real problem was he saw life as pointless.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

You just used the best final fantasy quote ever....*melts*

Excellent work

Oh for the record good guys are da bestest anyways so there is no arguments! Good guys rock! *runs away and hides in a panic room with jodie foster*
    "When you do things right, people won't notice you've done anything at all.""
    -God-