Thread: uea file extension?

Default uea file extension?

i have a file here with extension of uea and i can't open it. maybe its encoded or something.. is there a program that checks which extension this file is?

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

A bit of Googling (quite a bit, actually) tells me that it's a File Safe encrypted archive created by Protector Suite QL. It seems to simply be an encrypted folder that is only accessible by fingerprint verification (or a backup password created at the same time as the archive).

There is a whole lot of information about it in <a href="http://www.upek.com/pdf/PSQL5.6-UsersGuide-English.pdf">this PDF</a>.

If you don't have the right fingerprint or password then you should probably hope that this isn't a File Safe archive, because I doubt you'll be getting the files out (without some serious and probably costly tech support from them).

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Other questions you could ask is where did you get the file from It might be some ranom extension used by some other generic program that's even more obscure to find on google, or specific for some game

My first choice for file types I don't recognise is open the thing in notepad/wordpad or frhed/other hexeditor of your choice to see if you can glean any useful info from there, since a lot of usable file types will be obvious from the first line or few characters or so
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Well what is the file SUPPOSED to be? xD

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

You could also try to bruteforce the encryption. Depending on the type of encryption, and your luck, this could take anywhere from hours to years.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

i think this is a folder encrypted. i dunno if they tried to zip it before encrypting. but i think this is folder. problem is folders doesn't have extensions.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Folders can have extensions, just the extension doesn't affect it's functionality Unless it's a pseudo-folder thing like zip folders in Windows, they're actually files but software presents it to you like a folder in Explorer
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP