Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scratched disk >:'(

Unhappy scratched disk >:'(

alright, so i lent my gamecube and super smash bros. (best game ever) to somebody, who then lent it to somebody else, who THEN gave it to the original-person-i-lent-it-to's brother (who is also my friend) and when it came back to me, my ssb disk was scratched and wouldnt work properly. moral of the story: don't trust anybody. now, after all that ()...i've cleaned it a few times with this scratch remover stuff (few=at least 5 times -_-) which isn't doing TOO badly, but there's this one big mother scratch that i believe is the main perpetrator. my question is, do you have any idea how to fix this (short of buying a professional cleaner or a new game)? I called the local video stores who claimed that their machines wouldnt clean gamecube disks (you know, the machines that take off a layer...). So...suggestions?

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wish I could help you, but all I can do is move this thread to the Help Forum. *moves*
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

haha, whoops, thanks

Sadly all you can do is either get it "profesionally cleaned" (one layer indeed) or just buy a new copy. I saw a couple at target and gamestop for around 10-20 dollars. This is why I dont like to loan games out to people especialy really awesome games like super smash brothers melee.

yeah, it was a mistake that i'll never commit again -_-

EDIT: are you in the US? cos im not sure if we have 'gamestop' in Australia...we have target though

well, it's no ones fault that it ended up scratched, but, your friends should've consulted you first, before lending it to another person.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Squall-Leonhart=- View Post
    well, it's no ones fault that it ended up scratched, but, your friends should've consulted you first, before lending it to another person.
    Saying that it's no one's fault that it got scratched is like you shooting someone then saying it's no one's fault you pulled the trigger.

And as for cleaning it, it'd probably be cheaper to buy a new one anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by .:kerrod:. View Post
    yeah, it was a mistake that i'll never commit again -_-

EDIT: are you in the US? cos im not sure if we have 'gamestop' in Australia...we have target though
    Yeah Im in the US. My bad I didnt know they didnt have a gamestop in Australia...whoops.

I usually put a bit of nail polish remover on the disc and wipe it clean, then wipe on a layer of petroleum jelly onto the disc. It works pretty well depending on how big the scratches are. But don't get nail polish remover on the title side of the disc though as it can potentially remove the art off of it. And be careful with the nail polish remover though, as it may completely ruin the disc if you do it incorrectly; remove ALL of the nail polish remover or it will fog up your disc permanently.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Just buy a new copy. They're fairly cheap nowadays. That, or save your money and get the new Super Smash Bros. that's coming out soon.

cheap? they're still fairly expensive on eBay, and that's the only place they are the difficulty is FINDING a new game to buy...as for the nail polish remover, wtf? wouldn't that ruin it completely? the whole 'alcohol' thing? and petroleum jelly? are you kidding?

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

nah, alcho won't make it all messed up. i know ^.- My uncle dropped beer next to my X-Box and a Halo was covered in beer. still worked though, but the smell was strong.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Toothpaste is the best substance I've used, aside from the actual disc repair kit I bought. Interestingly, the solution in the kit is 99% water, 1% ethanol.

Alcohol, petroleum jelly and nail polish remover are all serious suggestions. Alcohol will clean the disc; the other two will somewhat fill the scratch to make the surface of the disc level again. 99% of the time, the reason the disc stops reading it is because the laser beam is refracted at an odd angle by the angle of the scratch, not because the 'data' is scratched.

I daresay that if it's too scratched for toothpaste and a disc repair kit then I'd say you probably won't have much luck fixing it.

Edit: Rubbing alcohol like ethanol mixtures, not beer.
    Last edited by o_O; 01-17-2008 at 05:03 AM.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's this stuff I use called Acrylic Scratch Remover Kit that's really strong and usually removes deep scratches. The one I have is made to get scratches out of the glass of aquariums, but you can still use it on disks. You just have to remember to wipe off the stuff after you sand it or rub it on there.