Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some anime help plz...

Default Need some anime help plz...

For a good while now, I haven't watched any anime, but now, I feel like watching some. However, I'm very particular when it comes to the type of anime I like, so if you anime lovers could help me find an anime to fit my likings, I'd greatly appreciate it.

First off, I really hate bloody and gory animes. I can't watch Elfen Lied, for example, and I couldn't finish Hellsing because they were just too violent for me. I also don't like animes that have a very serious, very depressing, or very analytical storylines. I tried watching FMA and Neon Genesis Evangelion because they started off light hearted, but then they quickly became too depressing for me to watch. Romantic/"girly" animes are also out of the question for me, such as Fruit Baskets or Chobits. I also don't want to watch any anime that has over 13 episodes because anymore feels like a waste of time. The only time I think I could go over 13 is if the anime is REALLY, REALLY, GOOD.

Other than those, some other animes I don't like are One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Gungrave, Lucky Star, Haruri Suzumiya (I believe that's how you spell it) and Death Note. However, Lucky Star and Haruri had pretty enjoyble intros.

From the animes I have watched (movies and series), I really enjoyed Record of Lodoss War, Read or Die, Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and most of Miyazaki's movies. Samurai Champloo looked promising, but I only watched the first episode, then stopped because it seemed that it would get too violent for my liking.

Currently, I'm planning to watch Haibane Renmei because it looks like it has a nice storyline and little violence. I also heard the soundtrack and the music is really nice so I'm more compelled to watch it.

So, from all that I've said and listed, I hope that some of you will be able to help me find some anime I would enjoy.
    The things I could not do yesterday, I shall not fear to attempt today, for I shall never give up on tomorrow. - Alexia Lynn Elesius (Wild ARMs Crossfire)

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Some anime I recomend are Katekyo Hitman Reborn! and Kekkaishi. Also I recommend full metal panic: fumoffu! but you may not understand it unless you watch the first season.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyxsora View Post
    Some anime I recomend are Katekyo Hitman Reborn! and Kekkaishi. Also I recommend full metal panic: fumoffu! but you may not understand it unless you watch the first season.
    The first season of Full Metal Panic doesn't get any worse than Ghost in the Shell and you said you liked that. It's over 13 episodes, but I think it is really, really, good. However, The Second Raid may be too violent for your likings (it was almost too violent for me).

Fumoffu is a must watch though!
    Last edited by Vermachtnis; 01-19-2008 at 04:10 AM.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Moyashimon is very funny and cute, and it's not violent or romantic (so far, at least).

<ul style="list-style-image: url(http://www.JEREMYTIME/mondatime/strawberry.gif)"><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv1hfH3xiwg" target="_blank">Here are the first seven minutes of episode one.</a></li><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO0XwBJB-gY" target="_blank">Here is Microbe Theater in episode two.</a></li></ul>
    Last edited by Marshall Banana; 01-19-2008 at 04:47 AM.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Well, you seem to hate all of my favorites...

What about Azumanga Daioh? Just because the main characters are girls doesn't make it a girly anime.

Other than that, I don't know what else to mention.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Your list is very limiting. However, I can still at least suggest Genshiken, which is a work of art and also hilarious.

You said you might watch something over 13 episodes if it was REALLY REALLY good. Thus, I suggest Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann. Seriously. Watch it.

Going on your limitations, I would recommend Fooly Cooly. It's light-hearted but kind of deep at the same time, and there are only 6 episodes. However, it's really bizarre (REALLY bizarre), so if you can't tolerate that, then don't even try.

Also, Cowboy Bebop fits most of your criteria. That changes at the end a bit, but by then, you'll be way too far into it to stop watching.

All anime fans should watch Cowboy Bebop.

I don't care what you like, you should watch it.

Even if you've already seen it, go see it again.

And don't forget the Movie either.

Anything released by Studio Ghibli (e.g. Hayao Miyazaki) is a great way to go. Especially Miyazaki's movies are amazing, and they're currently being re-released all over the world, so they shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of.

I've actually watched Azumanga Daioh, Fooly Cooly, Full Metal Panic, and Cowboy Bebop and from those, I only liked FLCL and Cowboy Bebop. Azumanga Daioh and Full Metal Panic weren't very entertaining to me.

I went ahead and did some research on the animes you guys listed and from what y'all mentioned, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann seems the most interesting. I've actually heard about it before and it seems kinda like BoF: DQ, so I think I may like it. Katekyo Hitman Reborn! also seems to have a unique and quirky storyline, but 69 episodes is way too much for me. I'll watch a few episodes though and see whether I'll want to continue watching it or not. Keikkaishi and Genshiken don't really seem like they'll appeal to me, but I'll try them out.

And thank you Marshall banana!! I watched the first episode of Moyashimon and I really liked it! It's also only has 11 episodes so I can watch all of them in one sitting I'll watch it after I'm done with Haibane Renmei. Thanks for all your help guys!
    The things I could not do yesterday, I shall not fear to attempt today, for I shall never give up on tomorrow. - Alexia Lynn Elesius (Wild ARMs Crossfire)

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

You didn't like Azumanga Daioh!? That's unpossible!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It is impossible to suggest what someone will like if they don't like Azumanga. Thread is either elaborate trolling or impossible for me to answer.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Auragaea View Post
    Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann...seems kinda like BoF: DQ...

The comparison has been made. I would think the similarities end there. It's much closer to FLCL (which was made by the same people).

If you liked Ghost in the Shell and the Miyazaki movies, I would highly recommend Dennou Coil (though I would highly recommend it regardless). It's an excellent show, and the comparison will make more sense once you start watching it. Your patience will be rewarded.

Baccano! is areally good short series as well, though if you really don't like gore it might put you off. The times when it gets gorey are seldom, but it's pretty random when it happens.

Moyashimon is a safe recommendation as well. It's nothing spectacular like Gurren-Lagann and Dennou Coil, but it's different and deceptively educational. The block of TV that Moyashimon comes from is one that seems to be dedicated to expanding anime beyond the average 'young boy' demographic. I'm currently watching Hakaba Kitaro by them, and it's great.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

OP is obligated by anime law to watch Akira (mild violence) , Macross Plus/Zero, Gundam series, and other such anime from that era.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    If you liked Ghost in the Shell and the Miyazaki movies, I would highly recommend Dennou Coil (though I would highly recommend it regardless). It's an excellent show, and the comparison will make more sense once you start watching it. Your patience will be rewarded.
    I just finished that one yesterday, definitely well worth it if you can follow the story Get hold of the HD version too if you can, the quality of the animation and some of the unique effects deserve it
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP