Click here to check it out.

So, what are your thoughts?

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I suppose I usually forget the nominations, but it doesn't seem to be a very broad scope this year. Maybe it's not much different than normal. Either way, the absence of American Gangster as a Best Picture nominee is a little disappointing. I think it was overall as good a film as Michael Clayton and Juno.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

This is just one big fat reminder that I should have seen more movies in the past year.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If There Will Be Blood doesn't win everything it's nominated for I will be pissed. In particular though, Daniel Day-Lewis HAS to win Best Actor. The guy played the best on-screen performance of this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    This is just one big fat reminder that I should have seen more movies in the past year.
    Yeah, me too. It's like that almost every year. To my advantage many of the highly praised movies that are also nominated (e.g. Atonement, There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, Juno etc.) have not been released in Denmark yet.. So, I'll definitely try my best to see them when they're released.

Anyway, on the whole I'm pretty satisfied with the nominations this year, although I was a bit disappointed that Keira Knightly wasn't nominated for Best Actress. But then again, Julie Christy or Ellen Page are probably going to take that one home.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Indeed, me too.

As for the nominations, I'll just mention a couple that caught my eye. I do think Amy Adams should've deserved to get into the Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role category. However, I'm extremely surprised to see so many songs from Enchanted being nominated, and I hope to see one of the songs from that film win. Also, seeing Giacchino's "Ratatouille" score nominated for Best Original Score was another pleasant surprise, although I think something like "Atonement" or "The Kite Runner" will win in the end. I wouldn't mind seeing Giacchino win, though, because his work has generally been quite consistent. We'll see how things turn out.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Apart from the absence of Amy Adams, I think it's a pretty decent line-up. I've not seen There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men or Juno yet, largely because they haven't been released/ are only just out.

Michael Clayton seems to have featured heavily. Was it that good of a film? I remember hearing positive reviews, but nothing extraordinary.

I'm sad that Amy Adams didn't get nominated for Enchanted. I thought she was fantastic.

Do you think I care about your petty accomplishments?

The films down here are SO much better.

Daniel Day-Lewis and Javier Bardem should easily win the actor categories.

Also, Ratatouille nominated for Best Original Screenplay? Man, Pixar/Brad Bird have come a long way.
    What I've been listening to:

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Weren't Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and The Incredibles all nominated for Best Original Screenplay as well? Pixar always do great scripts, this nomination for Ratatouille is also well dseserved.

I think Javier Bardem and Daniel Day-Lewis are both strong favourites. Best Film...I'll say it will be No Country For Old Men or Michael Clayton. And The Coen Brothers winning Best Director. And Julie Christie to win Best Actress.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Weren't Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and The Incredibles all nominated for Best Original Screenplay as well? Pixar always do great scripts, this nomination for Ratatouille is also well dseserved.
    Hmm, well I don't really remember nominations as much as I do winners, so if they were nominated before I can't remember. Definitely agree that it's deserved though.
    What I've been listening to:

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Bandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Hmm, well I don't really remember nominations as much as I do winners, so if they were nominated before I can't remember. Definitely agree that it's deserved though.
    The Oscars are happy to nominate animated films, they just can't bring themselves to give them an award unless they can make a separate category just for them - but yeah all those were nominated I'm almost certain.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Well, Javier Bardem was really, really good in NCfOM, and I would like Juno to win at least one award.

Also, It would be really, really funny to see Norbit win an award.
    Last edited by The Unknown Guru; 01-26-2008 at 03:19 AM.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

I'm a little worried that Sweeny Todd is there, but I Am Legend is not.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really wanted James McAvoy to be in there in the Best Actor category. Atonement is up there for best picture, but if it wasn't for McAvoy, that movie would have been so freakin' blah.

Anyway, how it's probably gonna go down:

Best Picture
    No Country for Old Men vs. There Will Be Blood

Best Actor
    Daniel Day-Lewis vs. Viggo Mortensen

Best Actress
    Marion Cotillard vs. Julie Christie (although, I'm willing to bet a hefty sum of money that Marion has this LOCKED DOWN)

Supporting Actor
    Javier Bardem vs. Casey Affleck

Supporting Actress
    Cate Blanchett vs. Amy Ryan

Best Director
    Coen Brothers vs. Paul Thomas Anderson