Thread: New Wii and Xbox console by 2010?

Default New Wii and Xbox console by 2010?

Wii 2 and Xbox the Third hitting in 2010? - Engadget

There supposidly like this article a new console for the Wii and Xbox. I haven't heard of the new Wii name but supposidy the Xbox new name is called either Xbox720 or Xbox^2 (Xbox squared if nobody understands that). Oh well start talking.

Thanks Polaris for the Awesome Avy and Sig!
    Beaten FF I,III,IV,V,VI,VII,VII CC,VII DC, VIII,IX,X,XII,XIII Dissidia Currently on I&X-2

I'm sure Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are all hard at word developing their next generation consoles, but none of them are anywhere close to having names yet. They haven't even been announced.

Uhm, if that did happen. Those companies will lose a lot of money.

Of course not, it won't happen, not for a long time. Maybe they will come at it in 2014 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    Of course not, it won't happen, not for a long time. Maybe they will come at it in 2014 or so.
    I'm not sure about the PS3, but I think that's way too long for Microsoft and Nintendo to release another system. I mean, 5 years is probably the maximum I'd be willing to wait.

So it wouldn't really shock me if newer consoles came out in 2010.

But with the PS3, I'm guessing it's another story as I think Sony said their plans were to make it last a hell of a long time.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I wouldn't really mind a Wii 2. And by that I mean a Wii that supports HD. The main thing that sets me back on that system is how awful it looks on widescreen and HDTVs, even with component cables. But I don't think Nintendo is in any rush, considering most stores still can't keep it in stock.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    Uhm, if that did happen. Those companies will lose a lot of money.

2014? I'd wager the next-gen will be announced sometime this year, we'll start getting real information in '09, and in 2010 they'll start really amping up for release. I'd guess the new consoles will start appearing on the market by 2011 at the latest. New XBox is most likely. New PS3 is possible, but Sony have a fairly long-term view of the PS3 so they might be happy to delay a little. The Wii is up in the air. Nintendo might keep it going, on the other hand if it turns out to be a novelty that wears off, or that it simply can't compete with the PS4 or Xbox3, they might have to consider stepping it up a bit. Then again, Nintendo are happy not to play by the typical rules.

And on the gripping hand SEGA had 3 consoles in 4 years, if you include the 32X. Conversely, the time between the SNES and N64 was pretty long, a little over 6 years if I recall correctly. There aren't really many hard-and-fast rules here, but 5 years is a pretty typical time for a console generation's main period of operation.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I could see Nintendo coming out with a new traditional - D-pad and Analog stick/6-8 button controller type system any time now, to run concurrently with the wii. Something like the true successor to the Gamecube. It's like with the Nintendo DS. the DS is a new type of platform, the president of Nintendo has made it clear that "it's not a gameboy" and that they want to work on the gameboy3 (4 if you count GBC), but they want the DS to have a little shelf life. I could see both running concurrently, each for a different purpose, and I could definately see Nintendo doing that as well for a new, true next-gen console to run alongside the wii.

As far as XBox, I guess they might as well, they could technically say it already had a good lifespan, it pushed XBox live to the next level, and it has a massive library, it's lasted a few years. But honestly I could really care less as it seems every game on XBox is the exact same game as every other titles I've played from that genre, there's nothing new or innovative, if you just want something to game on, nothing special, then go right ahead, make a new XBox. It's maybe even necessary, because when you consider that it still uses DVD's, and compare it to the ps3's processors, the 360 is technically a generation behind the PS3.

The PS3 is a different story as it still hasn't reached its full potential. Heavenly Sword was great, but it didn't seem as revolutionary in graphics as the trailers and developer spotlights were making it out to be. It needs a game that shows what blue ray and multi-celled processing can really do. FFXIII might do that, but we have yet to see other ones to really check it out. Until that game comes out, then you can say that the ps3 lifespan is really beginning. However, because of all the things you can do on it, i could see it lasting a really long time, sony said they wanted 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I could see Nintendo coming out with a new traditional - D-pad and Analog stick/6-8 button controller type system any time now, to run concurrently with the wii. Something like the true successor to the Gamecube. It's like with the Nintendo DS. the DS is a new type of platform, the president of Nintendo has made it clear that "it's not a gameboy" and that they want to work on the gameboy3 (4 if you count GBC), but they want the DS to have a little shelf life. I could see both running concurrently, each for a different purpose, and I could definately see Nintendo doing that as well for a new, true next-gen console to run alongside the wii.
    I'd bet a lot of money that they just didn't want to risk the GameBoy brand name. The DS was kind of a risky move. They said that the home console, the DS, and the Game Boy were the three pillars that supported the company or something along those lines, but there hasn't been so much as a hint that there's a new Game Boy in the works. I think Game Boy is pretty much dead unless the integrate it into the next generation DS design. Actually, that's basically what the did with the current gen DS, they just didn't use the name.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I'd bet a lot of money that they just didn't want to risk the GameBoy brand name. The DS was kind of a risky move. They said that the home console, the DS, and the Game Boy were the three pillars that supported the company or something along those lines, but there hasn't been so much as a hint that there's a new Game Boy in the works. I think Game Boy is pretty much dead unless the integrate it into the next generation DS design. Actually, that's basically what the did with the current gen DS, they just didn't use the name.
    Maybe, I mean alot of developers simply forego the touch screen completely and just make a handheld N64-esque game (no complaints about Rune Factory, though). But that's only 3rd party as far as I know, nintendo expressed DS also denotes "Developers System" because it challenges developers to make games that they normally couldn't on the traditional standard that the video game industry has been using without exception for more than 20 years now. Revenant Wings comes to mind (you may have heard this rant from me before). The DS in essence is for games like that, not the non-touch ones we've seen.

Personally I see them as separate and I think it's only a matter of time until we see a followup to the gameboy advance.