Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Heath Ledger is dead

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No one in this thread even MENTIONED the idea that this girl won't be able survive and function after her father's death. Of course she will. It's not like she's gonna die from grief, she's two years old. She probably won't fully comprehend what has happened for years to come.

But to express sorrow for a child who lost her father, and then have people comment that she'll be fine cause hey, she has money, is so beyond ridiculous.

I never buy into the argument that just cause someone has it worse, that a person's pain isn't relevant. If you lose an arm, it's not so bad cause you have your legs? If you lose your legs and arms, it's no so bad cause you still have your heart and brain? She lost her father but it's not so bad cause other kids have lost both their parents? Kids who lost both their parents don't have it so bad cause they got left with a huge inheritance? C'mon now.

I seriously hope that after you people lose a loved one, someone doesn't tell you it's ok cause they have you down in their will for 100k. Such a slap in the face.

Just cause a person is likely to cope with death and eventually move on with their lives, doesn't make the loss of a father, sibling, child, friend any less sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    If you lose an arm, it's not so bad cause you have your legs? If you lose your legs and arms, it's no so bad cause you still have your heart and brain?
    Most people stay opptimistic and go "Yeah I don't have an arm and a leg, but atleast I'm not dead".

We're not saying that she's not going to feel anything, she is once she can comprehend anything that's even going on around her. It's anyone's right and ability to feel greif.

But you honestly can't say she's a special case. Granted this whole argument started over feeling sorry for her, still, many people have lost their parents at a young age.

My brother in laws father commited Suicide (shot himself) when he was only 3, my brother in law has no memories of his dad and he had a rough life in the literal ghetto, but his father's death wasn't something that he really had to deal with because it happened before he had any memories, yeah he was sad because he never got to have any memories of him but life without a father is how he lived and became conditioned to it.

People take things differently, this morning at work some lady was in "awe" that I wasn't hurt to bad by my parents divorce and him moving away for 8 years. Why wasn't I hurt, because the age of 1 to 13 my dad was off for half the year anyway, so in my mind it wasn't anything different, when I saw him it was just like when he'd come back for break. She said her son was completely broken because his father was always around and then after the divorce the kids may see him once a year. I saw my dad once a year for a month or so too when my parents where together, when they were divorced, same thing.

I was conditioned to it already so it didn't hurt as bad as it did other people.

If somethings all you know, then the pain of losing something you've never known will be dramatically less than the pain of losing something you've known your entire life.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I feel sorry for his family. His daughter is going to grow up without her father's love. That's going to be tough.
    I'm still extremely shocked. No one saw that coming, not at that age. And especially because he wasn't the bad type of celebrity.
    RIP.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice-ness View Post
    If somethings all you know, then the pain of losing something you've never known will be dramatically less than the pain of losing something you've known your entire life.
    Exactly. Calm down, Miriel.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice-ness View Post
    But you honestly can't say she's a special case. Granted this whole argument started over feeling sorry for her, still, many people have lost their parents at a young age.
    No one said she was a special case. No one said that other people don't lose loved ones.

Person dies. Person had a child. People say, "omg, I feel so bad for the kid". There's really not more to it. This isn't about other people. This isn't about other people who lose their parents or how other people cope with grief or anything like that.

It's really really simple. Heath Ledger died. He leaves behind a 2 year old daughter. It is sad news.

Calliope, who isn't calm? Seriously, you guys keep making it about more than it is. Read the posts. Everyone who expressed condolences and sympathy for the family and for the daughter didn't expand any of their comments beyond a simple expression of sadness at an untimely death. This isn't about the politics of death, finances, what other children around the world suffer. Guy dies. Guy has a family. People feel bad for the family. It's only natural. I honestly feel like you guys are taking something really natural (death = sad) and veering it off to a bunch of other topics that aren't really relevant right now.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't expand my initial post either. She'll be fine. Part of that being fine has to do with being financially secure and very young. Simple.

I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't express whatever feelings you want to express on the matter and I apologize for that.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Miriel, I find it giggletastic when referring to people by their screennames.

We can't help making it more than it is. This isn't Joe Bloggs leaving his daughter to social welfare, this is someone with substantially more influence and wealth than most people will ever have.

*shrug*

The first thing I asked when hearing this was if "The Dark Knight" was in post. This was also the first thing about 95% of the people I told asked.

Anyway, yes, quite unexpected and sad. I was half sure my friend was lying when he told me on the phone.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Such a shame, really. I especially liked him in Brokeback Mountain.

This last year seems to be some sort of celebrity holocaust..

That's horrible. He was so young, it really is a shame.

Blog Entries

My bro told me while we were talking on msn! At first I thought he was joking but then I went to msn news and it was true! I wasn't expecting it, not at all since he had a little kid!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Last week a young father died in a car crash on Kamehameha Highway.

On Saturday, a 33 year old father-to-be also died while on his way home.

Chances are, a few young fathers died today. Possibly thousands, maybe even millions - I'm not sure how many young fathers actually do die each day, but I'm sure it's a very large amount.

But let's talk about the important death of the guy we recognise that may well have intentionally caused his own death instead, because he's worth mourning over because we, er, saw him in that movie.

Relatively speaking, the young girl will certainly be fine. Better now than five years later, anyway. We honestly don't even know if he was a good father. Sure, they'll say it and a lot of us will believe it, but we won't KNOW it. We certainly have no idea how good a father he would have been later on. I mean, Britney is seen playing with happy kids but I sure as hell wouldn't call her a good mum.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

It doesn't seem like there's alot we do know about him. In fact I hardly knew of any personal life at all, and this article and talk of a little child is sad.

I did like him in Brokeback, but before that I'd really never heard of him.
    now safe beneath their wisdom, and their feet;
    here i will teach you truly how, to sleep.

Blog Entries

I thought he was a good actor and seemed to be a decent guy. I really know nothing of his personal life but did enjoy his movies. It was a shock to see it was him. When I read the name it didn't click and I thought another 80's hair band singer OD'd on coke.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Why is this news? Someone died. Lots of people died. Unless he was a great philanthropier then why should I really care? The only thing I am remotely concerned about with this is if they need to do a reshoot for the next batman movie.