Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Heath Ledger is dead

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    Why is this news? Someone died. Lots of people died. Unless he was a great philanthropier then why should I really care? The only thing I am remotely concerned about with this is if they need to do a reshoot for the next batman movie.
    How wonderfully heartless of you.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

It came up as breaking news at the end of news report i was watching, poor guy, what a shame

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

C'mon C'mon

"We, [Heath's family], confirm the very tragic, untimely and accidental passing of our dearly loved son, brother and doting father of Matilda, who was found in a peaceful sleep in his New York apartment by his housekeeper at 3:30pm [New York Time]. We would like to thank our friends and everyone around the world for their kind wishes at this time. Heath has touched so many people on so many different levels during his short life, but few had the pleasure to truly know him. He was a down-to-earth, generous, kind-hearted, life-loving and unselfish individual who was an extreme inspiration to many. Please now respect our family's need to grieve and come to terms with our loss privately."

Leading on from what BoB said, this is the only part I find sad; that because he's famous, the whole world has to know. I'm sure lots of great people died that don't get a special mention, not that I think it's anybody's business other than loved ones. His family are going to be constantly reminded that he's dead, it's pretty awful.

He was very young. Seemed to be a decent guy from what I've seen of him, and Brokeback was a really good performance. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Last week a young father died in a car crash on Kamehameha Highway.

On Saturday, a 33 year old father-to-be also died while on his way home.

Chances are, a few young fathers died today. Possibly thousands, maybe even millions - I'm not sure how many young fathers actually do die each day, but I'm sure it's a very large amount.

But let's talk about the important death of the guy we recognise that may well have intentionally caused his own death instead, because he's worth mourning over because we, er, saw him in that movie.
    I don't think anyone is even making the point that somehow his death is more important than anyone else's. I'd feel sympathy for pretty much anyone who passed away, even more so if they have children. The difference is we often don't get to hear about them. I watched the news last night about a bunch of people I've never heard of dying and it made me sad. Most people are probably the same. So if I express regret over a celebrity dying, what's the difference?

Some people seem to be a bit inhuman over this. Not to mention self-righteous.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Maxx Power View Post
    Why is this news? Someone died. Lots of people died. Unless he was a great philanthropier then why should I really care? The only thing I am remotely concerned about with this is if they need to do a reshoot for the next batman movie.
    Sorry that I don't have the time or emotional energy to pour through the obituaries to care and talk about the greatness of the many decent people that die everyday that I really know nothing about.

This just in. Joe Somebody died today of an apparent heart attack. He was said to be a good father and has 3 kids all under the age of 4.

I could keep going with the made up story but I think I made my point. To me Heath is just as important as Joe Somebody and since this happens all the time, I really can't be bothered to care for this one individual that seemed to be well off.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    But let's talk about the important death of the guy we recognise that may well have intentionally caused his own death instead, because he's worth mourning over because we, er, saw him in that movie.
    Heath Ledger was an artist who enriched the lives of myriads of individuals through his performances. It's only natural that members of said myriads would mourn him sooner than they would any stranger with whom they never shared any connection at all. Please don't let your crass New Zealand-Australia enmity cloud your sight of this.

I enjoyed his work. It's a tremendous loss to the acting field.

That's sad I truly enjoyed his performances. I wish the best of luck all to his family.

R.I.P

Sorry that I don't have the time or emotional energy to pour through the obituaries to care and talk about the greatness of the many decent people that die everyday that I really know nothing about.

This just in. Joe Somebody died today of an apparent heart attack. He was said to be a good father and has 3 kids all under the age of 4.

I could keep going with the made up story but I think I made my point. To me Heath is just as important as Joe Somebody and since this happens all the time, I really can't be bothered to care for this one individual that seemed to be well off.
    But if you felt that way then there's no good reason for you to post in this thread.
    Last edited by Serapy; 01-23-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

It's not about emotional energy mate, it's about not being a complete jackass and going "He died? Crap, now I can't get to watch the new Batman movie!". I'm not saying you should go to the rooftops and stare wistfully into the distance for an undisclosed amount of time, I'm just asking you to have at least a crumb of respect. Yes people die everyday, but there's more personal significance in someone such as Heath Ledger due to his activities (Brokeback Mountain probably being the most significant to many people). People can feel bad about someone they knew vicariously from film and media even if they never knew them personally. You can think "So what?" if you like but there's such a thing as decorum.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Maxx Power View Post

So is Brett Favre died tomorrow you wouldn't give tow s eh?

I was personally very shocked when I heard the news on the radio this afternoon. It's still pretty hard to believe, and for some reason I haven't been able to forget about his death all day. It just pops up in my mind every now and then, and I remember how much I actually like and respect his work as an actor. He was actually a brilliant talent, just look at Brokeback Mountain. - it's really sad that he had to die, and it's truly a shame as well.

I guess all the good ones die young..

Guys, he's the Joker. It's a joke.

I heard he's finished acting in The Dark Knight. I can't wait to watch it when it comes out. A very strange feeling, isn't it? It's like he died yesterday and the movie with his alive body is out in July 2008.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Why so serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I only wish it were.

I heard the news this morning when I got up; Chris Moyles (on Radio One) was talking about it, and as he is notorious for wind-ups I didn't believe it at first, but he sounded really serious, for once.

This is a terrible loss. I must admit, I thought he was brilliant in Brokeback Mountain, and count Ten Things I Hate About You amongst one of my favourite films.

He will be sadly missed...

"I work in one of those humble call centres... Apparently, what we're doing at the moment is 'sprinkling our magic along the way'. It's a call centre, not Hogwarts." ~ Caroline Garlick, Ayrshire, BBC News Magazine