• Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Give it a couple years and the people doing the newscasts, while likely still nut jobs, will have played video games such as Mass Effect and have an idea of what they're really like. I expect we'll start seeing less and less of this misinformed bull in the foreseeable future. Hopefully. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Give it a couple years and the people doing the newscasts, while likely still nut jobs, will have played video games such as Mass Effect and have an idea of what they're really like. I expect we'll start seeing less and less of this misinformed bull in the foreseeable future. Hopefully. Maybe.
    I pray that you're wrong. FOX newscasts like this make my day.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Faux News is so reliable.

Oh so reliable.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not like cable news in general was ever reliable.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know a lot of people who are up in arms over this, but no one really pays very much attention to Fox news unless it provides some type of argument fodder. If I'd seen this on one of the network nightly news casts, I'd think more of it.

Mass Effect got and continues to get a lot of bad press for the sex. Someone tried to argue to me that it was anti-feminist and I had a pretty long laugh at that one.

Signature by rubah. I think.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I say good on EA for this. I was reading many of the comments of the article Pill linked to, concerning EA's letter to Fox. I think writing to them without taking legal action first is a good step. To skip any attempt at diplomacy would just weaken EA's position in the eyes of people who are either sitting on the fence or their more sensible opponents.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Good for EA. It is about time publishers came out strong against this kind of treatment. I wish the ESRB would have done the same thing with the whole Hot Coffee thing.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They definitely took the high road on it. I have some things against EA but that move was pretty much class.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu View Post
    They definitely took the high road on it. I have some things against EA but that move was pretty much class.
    There's definitely a good many reasons to be wary of EA, but I definitely have to agree. I'd really like to read the letter in its entirety. I never expected EA to step up and do something like this, but I'm damn glad that they did.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

That link made me grin. When I watched the original video of the interview, I actually felt sorry for Geoff Keighley. How do you defend against an onslaught of uninformed (Uninformed, not misinformed. They didn't know a thing about the game.) bigots like that?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's a fine reply from EA... but if Fox bothers to mention the matter again (which is questionable), it's likely they'll just talk about getting 'hate mail' from EA, followed with some highly selective quote mining of the letter itself:
    Love scenes... include side and profile shots - a vantage frequently used in... television shows. Sex scenes in Mass Effect are... very similar to sex sequences frequently seen in prime time.

Mass Effect and all related marketing has been reviewed by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) and rated... appropriate for players.

As video games continue to take audiences away from television, we expect to see more TV news stories warning parents about the corrupting influence of interactive entertainment.. a new level of recklessness.

Do you watch the Fox Network? Do you watch Family Guy? Have you ever seen The OC? ...the sexual situations in Mass Effect are... more graphic than scenes routinely aired...

...young people have more exposure to Mass Effect than to those prime time shows...

...a legal threat... to... FNC

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    That's a fine reply from EA... but if Fox bothers to mention the matter again (which is questionable), it's likely they'll just talk about getting 'hate mail' from EA, followed with some highly selective quote mining of the letter itself:
    Love scenes... include side and profile shots - a vantage frequently used in... television shows. Sex scenes in Mass Effect are... very similar to sex sequences frequently seen in prime time.

Mass Effect and all related marketing has been reviewed by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) and rated... appropriate for players.

As video games continue to take audiences away from television, we expect to see more TV news stories warning parents about the corrupting influence of interactive entertainment.. a new level of recklessness.

Do you watch the Fox Network? Do you watch Family Guy? Have you ever seen The OC? ...the sexual situations in Mass Effect are... more graphic than scenes routinely aired...

...young people have more exposure to Mass Effect than to those prime time shows...

...a legal threat... to... FNC
    I actually almost hope they do, I can bring it up in my ethics class and we can debate the hell out of it.