Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm so terribly British!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I don't sound like I'm from Southwest Virginia. And I speak pretty fast and don't always prononciate my 'r' so no one can guess where I'm from.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    People like to take the mick and say I sound like a scouser >:[ (someone from bloody LIVERPOOL). I am close to Liverpool and my accent is influenced by it, BUT IT IS AN INSULT; Oh my god, scousers have the worst accents ever, anyone in the UK will tell you that xD
    I won't.
    have you heard a full on thick scouse accent? It's like a hamster on speed; high pitched and extremely fast. xD
    All my family (excepting my mother, father and sister) have them. And I still think we need a scouse Prime Minister.

"I think we need to do something about Northern Rock!"
    "All right, calm down, calm down."
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

My mum (South East London, liek me :P ) was once mistaken for an Australian! O_o

Sometimes I catch myself pronouncing words in a very Northern way, since I have been here damn near 5 years! Also, thanks to my Scottish heritage (dad's side), I have a habit of emphasising the 'h' in words that begin 'wh' e.g 'what' 'which' 'whale' 'whip'...

When Jason met me, he thought I was from Lincoln... Butthen he's just stupid... :P

"I work in one of those humble call centres... Apparently, what we're doing at the moment is 'sprinkling our magic along the way'. It's a call centre, not Hogwarts." ~ Caroline Garlick, Ayrshire, BBC News Magazine

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Pink Grin

I have two accents. I have a Geordie accent which I speak when I'm at home and talking to my parents/brother and when I'm visiting Newcastle. Otherwise, I speak in a southern accent which I kinda forced myself to speak when I was younger (when I moved from Newcastle to Essex) because otherwise the people here in the south wouldn't understand me because I had such a strong Geordie accent.

If somebody is round my house they always think it's weird how I switch between the two accents if I'm talking to them, or if I'm talking to a family member, but I don't even realise I'm doing it anymore. It just happens most of the time. Sometimes I will be speaking in a southern accent and a word will just slip out in a Geordie accent because some words I just have never got the hang of saying in a southern accent.

Also, if I visit Newcastle for a few days/a week, I always find that my accent comes back really strong and I find it difficult to change between the two for a while. xD

People sometimes ask me where I'm from when I speak to them, because I don't have a typical "Essex" accent.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really wanna hear what Jess sounds like now.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The same thing happens with me, Jess. I've spoken to people on the phone but gone away to ask my parents, then to come back to the phone only to be greeted with the reply "you sounded quite Scouse then."
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

People like to take the mick and say I sound like a scouser >:[ (someone from bloody LIVERPOOL). I am close to Liverpool and my accent is influenced by it, BUT IT IS AN INSULT; Oh my god, scousers have the worst accents ever, anyone in the UK will tell you that xD
    I won't.
    have you heard a full on thick scouse accent? It's like a hamster on speed; high pitched and extremely fast. xD
    All my family (excepting my mother, father and sister) have them. And I still think we need a scouse Prime Minister.

"I think we need to do something about Northern Rock!"
    "All right, calm down, calm down."
    oh, sorry xD but I am half scouse myself, so you know!

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Pink Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Harle-Quin View Post
    I really wanna hear what Jess sounds like now.

The same thing happens with me, Jess. I've spoken to people on the phone but gone away to ask my parents, then to come back to the phone only to be greeted with the reply "you sounded quite Scouse then."
    Yeah! My brother is exactly the same, too.

It can be useful sometimes, though! If I have a friend over and they can't understand what my parents and I are saying, then I can be a translator... kinda. xD

Most of my teachers say I have a Californian accent.

I wasn't aware there was such a thing. xD
    wheee!

:hello: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE HELLO KITTY SMILEY :hello:

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Dude View Post
    You can't get a more british accent then me I swear. xD
    well ask anyone whos actully spoken to me!
    Apperently i have a very posh accent!
    brittish accent...but some people say im rather squeaky too lolz!

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

I spend a lot of time talking in a British accent. Actually, I talk a lot in heaps of different accents, I'm not sure why. Common ones are Indian, Scottish, Irish, Russian and British.

I actually just have a normal NZ accent though.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

When I went on school camp I had two English kids in my group. One was from Bolton. Not sure where the other was from, but he had a cockney accent. Our entire group ended up with British accents when we got back from the trek and the rest of our year thought we were idiots.

My British accent comes back from time to time. Its quite funny towatch some one's expression change to confusion when the accent comes out

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

I'm as British as baked beans, grew up in Yorkshire, born in Liverpool and have a very ambiguous dialect (ie almost none) but have been mistaken for American, Canadian and German on a few occasions. Very, very few people identify that hint of scouse in there (it's very subtle) and they stop thinking I'm American once they hear me forcing it like a certain parody I run.

Add Me to Your Mana Pool 41-Inches-Wide's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Last night over voice clip messages, Mirage said I have an Asian accent! I am not Asian and I don't have an asian accent xD

Happy Birthday to Me

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I wasn't aware that Midwesterners like me have any particular accent. If so, it doesn't apply to me. I've talked to Lekana on the phone before, and our 'accents' are indistinguishable, IMO...and I live in Indiana and she's in Wyoming.
    As for my 'accent', I usually speak very clear, proper English. It changes when I'm amused or excited though, and I sound very casual and (ehhhh...) somewhat girly. (Yes, I am often mistaken for a girl by my voice alone. )

Don't get me started on how I sound when I'm caffeinated though. I tend to speak in the before-mentioned excited voice, but about 3 times faster, and without even realizing it until someone tells me to slow down.