Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Pokemon MMORPG

I think void pretty well organized everything out well.

Only thing I'm still iffy on is the legendaries. That is easily one of the hardest things to make work. I mean being able to use them WOULD be cool, but then the problem comes down to if they make them as powerful as a legendary is supposed to be, and well that would just take the fun out of the game. That's what kind of killed end-game for older pokemon games for me, the legendaries were tougher then anything I had to start, and just got tougher as they leveled.

I kind of think more along the lines of how SE handled FFXI and summons such as Bahamut. Their storyline related, but summoners can't summon them as they would have to reduce the power of Bahamut significantly and thus would kill his role of being so powerful story-wise. So instead they made him story only and a boss fight rather then tarnish his name by being summoned by every summoner and no where near holding the title of King of the Dragons.

Though I'm iffy on that whole subject cause I never cared much for the legendaries and how they replaced my entire party.

1. ALL Pokemon able to be captured in the wild. This means legendaries, starters, what have you.
    And sweet jeebus yes! I've been wanting that forever in the series. I hate how un-diverse the population of areas are in the game. Let alone the different types "Oh joy it's ANOTHER flying/normal/bug type....oh how wonderful. Get in line.".
    This space intentionally left blank.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Around the time that Diamond and Pearl came out, I had many lengthy conversations with a friend regarding this possibility. There's potential in such an idea for an insane amount of awesomeness, but, at the same time, it could definitely become one of the biggest busts ever.
    I agree it could be really awesomely fun but it could really suck too.

Why not just restrict legendaries? Only one legendary allowed in a 6 Pokemon party. If you then have mostly double battles, people won't just be able to go through with nothing but legendaries, as most of the legendaries can be type trumped by a couple powerhouses, especially since most of their attacks are single target moves. Combine that with only acquiring them through endgame raid type situations, and you'd have no trouble keeping people from overusing the legendaries.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

If Nintendo does make another Wii Pokemon game I think they should have Shadow Pokemon and Cipher in it. They'd have trainers all over the world trying to purify all Shadow Pokemon that Cipher get their hands on. It might get confusing with a whole bunch of people playing it on Wi-Fi and defeating all of the Cipher Admins before other people do but I'm sure that Nintendo could work something out. I really liked the idea of Cipher (who make Team Rocket, Magma, Galactic, and Aqua look pathetic) and how they hardened their Pokemon's emotions to the point where they have none. They add so much depth to the stories of the games they're in and with Wi-Fi, it's sure to be really successful.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut2000X View Post
    Only thing I'm still iffy on is the legendaries. That is easily one of the hardest things to make work. I mean being able to use them WOULD be cool, but then the problem comes down to if they make them as powerful as a legendary is supposed to be, and well that would just take the fun out of the game. That's what kind of killed end-game for older pokemon games for me, the legendaries were tougher then anything I had to start, and just got tougher as they leveled.
    Maybe place restrictions on when and where they can be used. Uber tower of uber Pokemon usage? Molten Core for Moltres? It'd be one of those things you have to try real hard to do. I think Skyblade said 1 per team, which also sounds balanceable.

Perhaps an incentive to use normal Pokemon more commonly, such as EV and IV caps? Or a kind of victory bonus used, like the Honor system (though, in its current incarnation, the Honor system is in shambles). I'd say that the legendaries would have much more trade value, as opposed to practical use. After all, the best team is the one that can be used most effectively.

HAH DID YOU GET THAT LOL I COMBINED WOW AND POKEMON IM SO GENIUS *dies laughing*

Competitions and tournaments. Sounds godlike, frankly. With all of the possible options, such as Beauty or Skills, I don't think anyone would have much of a boring time. The solving of money problems could be tied to a secondary skill, such as Nut growing (yes, I know that sounds perverted). Sell them for fun and profit. Berries, Potions, whatever. Pokemon can be used to help acquire in-world items to make stuff, too. I'm certain that some Pokemon, such as Grass types would be excellent healers/potion makers, or Rock and Steel types can be used to find things for Crafting. Electric Pokemon could be used for powering cities.

If this were on the Wii, this could so be exercise oriented. Snowboarding + skiing + Ice Pokemon. You know you want it.

I wonder what the 4th Generation Legendary Pokemon raid areas would be like. One of them screws with time, so I'm thinking impossible objects, like in DII's Arcane Sanctuary. Arceus is supposedly the Alpha Pokemon, so, we need some Bible goodness there.

More ideas, anyone?

Ohh, and on one last note, we need the Orange Island gyms. They were my favorite, because they weren't just battles, but practical applications, too. A race to the finish with those Ice Pokemon would win so hard down that giant mountain. Which episode was that where Ash had to make that ice boat and slide his way to victory? I should know this, I watched it yesterday.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cactuar View Post
    Does anyone here know of IV's, EV's, Smogon, breeding and basically competitive battling? Because all that stuff would really make it hard to make such a game.
    Aye, completely aware of that stuff. Are you aware of how much number crunching goes into people playing MMO's? Managing stuff like IV's and EV's in particular would hardly be anything new to the MMO scene.

Does anyone here know of IV's, EV's, Smogon, breeding and basically competitive battling? Because all that stuff would really make it hard to make such a game.
    Aye, completely aware of that stuff. Are you aware of how much number crunching goes into people playing MMO's? Managing stuff like IV's and EV's in particular would hardly be anything new to the MMO scene.
    I know that. That's not the point I was trying to get across. I'd say about 80% of the Pokemon lovers and players are either not aware of such things or just don't care, or are kids. If you ever go to the Smogon forums, you will know how elitist some of them are, and how serious some of them take Pokemon.

I have mixed feelings about a Pokemon MMO. While I think such a thing could be awesome there is just so much that could go wrong, and the community would be horrible. Kids+elitist pros = $@#$!
    Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know that. That's not the point I was trying to get across. I'd say about 80% of the Pokemon lovers and players are either not aware of such things or just don't care, or are kids. If you ever go to the Smogon forums, you will know how elitist some of them are, and how serious some of them take Pokemon.

I have mixed feelings about a Pokemon MMO. While I think such a thing could be awesome there is just so much that could go wrong, and the community would be horrible. Kids+elitist pros = $@#$!
    Well, to be fair, when is an MMO community NOT a giant cesspool of humanity? You just gotta find the right crowd to run with.

Oh, and on the subject of legendaries, make an indicator above every trainer's head for the amount of legendaries they're packing in their team at that exact moment (probably allow a certain level of information just by checking someone out, so you can get an idea of the level range of their pokemon). That'll keep the use of legendaries down, while battling with legendaries can be fun, people tend to want to use other pokemon, so they just wouldn't get challenged/have their challenges accepted a lot.

I haven't played pokemon in ages, but I really liked it, and still do when I think back. I think this idea could be great.
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?

I haven't cared about Pokémon in ages, and I would play the hell out of this game. And it's so workable too, as Void showed. Why this hasn't been done yet is a mystery.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

This idea is made of win. I would want to be a gym leader.

This could be really cool. I'd like the ability to choose factions like in Oblivion.
    "Reality is that which,
    when you stop believing in it,
    doesn't go away".
    Philip K. Dick

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

If you ever go to the Smogon forums, you will know how elitist some of them are, and how serious some of them take Pokemon.
    My dear God. That sounds horrible! That almost sounds like PEOPLE.

Have you not ever used the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void View Post
    Well, to be fair, when is an MMO community NOT a giant cesspool of humanity? You just gotta find the right crowd to run with.
    I've found those types of "right crowds" and they still have jerks in them.

I wouldn't say it's a cesspool. There's just something about that word that just isn't severe enough.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been wondering for some time now why this game does not exist.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Because Nintendo does not like to make money.

Really though, Nintendo is very concerned about internet harassment. The whole 'Friend Code' rubbish and not being able to see people's names and quotes in random matches on Smash Bros Brawl are all part of their scheme to protect kids from pedophiles and junk. So that is likely a huge hinderance to a true MMO of any kind from Nintendo.