Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Pokemon MMORPG

Yeah I played with the idea of how to play the game way back when, and I was thinking that Legendaries would be un-catchable altogether. I mean it'd just be sad if you saw more then one Mewtwo running around. Battles would be real time and everyone could watch. Losing trainer battles would result in no penalties, your pokemon would remain at the same health they went in at, if not just being full in all PVP fights. And for the love of god have HUGE diversity on the pokemon running about, it'd be hard to make, but maybe even making it somewhat random on what's around, so getting a new type of pokemon being all the better. So it's kind of like the animes were early on, where they didn't have massive armies, but rather what they encountered. It would also make trading more necessary. Got yourself a Butterfree, but you would rather have a Krabby? Then trade with one who wants Butterfree or what not.

If they put the effort in it could be the most epic MMO ever.
    This space intentionally left blank.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Well, if you had multiple servers, you could have more than one Mewtwo. Although there is a precedence for more than one legendary. There do seem to be multiple Articuno, yet only two Moltres, and we have not seen Zapdos outside of the second movie. There was an episode with a Lugia and a Lugia child something in the fourth season I remember, yet legendaries besides Manaphy cannot breed; even then, it becomes Phione.

I would imagine that most battling would be PvP once you get to level 50 or higher. Pink Butterfree? Scarved Butterfree? Butterfree/Vulpix/Pikachu raised on Brock-brand-food? Ohh, sir, you have me titillated.

Epic does not begin to describe the possibilities. If you compared this to a normal MMO, there'd be 486 classes, each one having more than something of 1000 builds, personalities, special skills, and etc., whatnot.

Seriously. RPG MAKER NAO

Yeah I played with the idea of each pokemon being different too, much like the animes or newer games. Personally I would love it more if your party was more of chance on who you had and what you had, so you had to make use of them best as you can. As opposed to the real games where you just get the strongest and can form your group from EVERYTHING in the world once your far enough in.

I'd get it just to use Psyduck constantly. And there would be no evolve. NONE :mastersha

I think it's a neat idea full of potential. I quite frankly and have never understood why Nintendo doesn't focus more energy on console Pokemon games.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    I think that could actually be really cool.
    Yes.

Back in the days when I was really into Pokemon, I'd have these trippy dreams where I'd visit a real Pokemon theme park. You'd go in and capture real live Pokemon. And sometimes I'd get mauled to death and stuff. >_> But yeah, MMORPG Pokemon would be neat. Although I imagine the fun of it would wear off fairly quickly given the demographics of Pokemon fans.

Does anyone here know of IV's, EV's, Smogon, breeding and basically competitive battling? Because all that stuff would really make it hard to make such a game.
    Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

I don't think it would I usually don't like to pay for games monthly, but if this game does come into existence, I'll buy it. i don't think the fun would wear off for long as long as they add a lot of side quests and mini games to keep us entertained. They could make fishing very fun, like back when Ocarina of Time had it, I really liked it especially when a caught a big one. I guess they could also have surfing and flying races, and make the safari part less stupid. it would be funny though to see someone get chased by a Rhyhorn after they threw a rock at it.

Yellow Winged Angel

best.idea.ever.....well, one of them :rolleyes2 but i wouldnt wanna pay for it monthly -_- still, i think the ideas here are great, especially choosing your region (oh typhlosion, we shall be together soon)
    Last edited by .:kerrod:.; 01-28-2008 at 01:43 AM.

Just by going off the anime so much could be done as far as content besides battling and training.

You could fish, you could race, you could breed, you could enter various other competitions. There's a plethora of ideas for an MMO here, much more so then other MMO's typically go off of.

Really I think this could be a well made game if they spent the time developing it and not just throwing it together like so many other MMO's seem to do with their content. Really I think they might make this if they saw reason so, i.e. enough fan support voicing it. Really if someone got Nintendo to realize the game would have support just from the MMO community let alone the already existing fans of the game itself, they might attempt it. At least if their head guys had half a brain they would see there was money to be made here. >.>

Blog Entries

Makes sense, really. But they'd need a lot of world for that, wouldn't they? And I wonder, would it have a single player experience similar to that of the Handheld games, but played through an online world?

It could work, methinks.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Legendaries could totally be the endgame... uncatchable. But guarding some hideously powerful chests xD? I donno.

Would it be a PvP orientated game?

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cactuar View Post
    Does anyone here know of IV's, EV's, Smogon, breeding and basically competitive battling? Because all that stuff would really make it hard to make such a game.
    Yeah, and the Exile EVortex Shield, Hellfire Torch, and Stones of Jordan are totally and fully intended to be PvM.

They'd be factored into the game. What else do you think training Pokemon would be for? s and giggles? PvP would be more or less very similar to what it is currently. I can't imagine how it would not be. All you do is add equipment, a server, and twelve year olds, and bam, you have a Pokemon MMO. It's already an RPG, in case you have not already noticed. The basis for a system is already in existence.

this makes me wanna play diamond and pearl, but i dont have a DS (SPOILER) and there are no decent emulators out there for the computer :rolleyes2

They would need to strike a balance on PVP and PVE I think. PVP of course is probably what most people would strive for, whether it be in battling or competing in other things such as a breeder tournament or beauty contest. But there needs be a level of PVE to make it not needing other people all the time. That would also probably end up being one way to train, and of course to capture new allies.

Over all as I said it has a lot of things already, it'd just be a matter of if the devs aren't lazy, and do it right.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cactuar View Post
    Actually that's really not the case at all. All of those could be written into the game mechanics without problems.

I've been saying they should make this for years now, it'd be a breath of fresh air for one of the stalest franchises in the industry. Seriously, the game really hasn't changed substantially since its early incarnations. It feels thoroughly dated. And hell, I still LIKE the series.

Anyway, this is what I've been saying should be necessary for a good Pokemon MMORPG game.

1. ALL Pokemon able to be captured in the wild. This means legendaries, starters, what have you. Honestly, starters should be fairly common, since they're routinely given out to fledgling trainers, and it breaks verisimilitude if there are pokemon that don't appear in the wild but random trainer A has.

2. And on the subject of Legendaries - Raids. Legendaries are massive quests that take a bunch of trainers to complete, but part of the reward is eggs for the legendary pokemon. Established canon indicates that legendaries can indeed breed and have eggs (for the most part), but we can't just let someone breed legendaries normally. Thus, legendaries only breed under certain special conditions, and if you go through a large raid to take one down, you can get one.

3. Player-controlled Gyms and Elite 4. This should be a major prestige thing, and Gym Leaders could have multiple pokemon tiers for lower-level challenges and the like if necessary. This gives a huge player control aspect to it.

4. Different servers are different regions, allow travel between the servers of course, and have certain pokemon more prevalent in certain regions, and some absent from some regions entirely.

5. Keep competitions and the like in the game.

6. Ability to set up one's own residence, pokemon breeding place, pokemon laboratory, what have you.

7. Various ways to make money that don't involve ganking it from other trainers (although allow the placing of money on the outcome of a pokemon match).

8. Real-time combat system.

9. While making Team Rocket or whatever is a good idea, stealing pokemon from other trainers is NOT. However, allow people to make guilds and other poke-organizations to do whatever. Although really, various teams would likely be PvP-based.

Can't think of anything else, but yeah. If they made it right, it'd be pretty sweet.