Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Pokemon MMORPG

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default A Pokemon MMORPG

Ever since Pokemon stadium was out I used to always wondered why Nintendo never made a true Pokemon game for a console. Not anything like the stadium games, but a real Pokemon game., but then recently I got the idea that maybe they should make an MMO for the series for the Wii of course. The series was all about trading and battling other people so it would make since to make it an MMORPG. What do you guys think?

I think that could actually be really cool.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Around the time that Diamond and Pearl came out, I had many lengthy conversations with a friend regarding this possibility. There's potential in such an idea for an insane amount of awesomeness, but, at the same time, it could definitely become one of the biggest busts ever.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

A console-based version of Pokemon has been discussed by fans since about 1878 and I think it's definitely something that most people would want to see. I mean, as great as the handheld games are, you can't help but wonder whether they'd be able to be even better with a console version. After all, the Stadium games are basically a way to battle in 3D and not much else. I think that what Ouch! said is true in that such an idea has the potential to be awesome but it could also be a huge flop. I'd have more faith in the former though, to be honest.

Having said all that, even if a proper Pokemon game doesn't reach a console, I'm still more than happy to play the handheld versions because they're as great as they've ever been.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

YES.

I think it'd be super good. You could buy expansions with new pokemons and regions in as the handheld games were released.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

When my friend and I discussed it, we thought that it would be cool that when you pick your character you choose what region to start in. That choice would affect which pokemon you'd be able to choose from for your starter.

Maybe we'd finally get the option to join Team Rocket too.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I am loving this concept more and more by the second.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I wish they would make a full 3D MMORPG, just so I can figure out how it is even possible to Surf on a Goldeen.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Omni Legacy View Post
    I wish they would make a full 3D MMORPG, just so I can figure out how it is even possible to Surf on a Goldeen.
    Misty does it multiple times in the anime. The person wouldn't fit entirely, so they would have to partially submerged. But, Goldeen can still Surf.

I like where this is going. Pikachu + armor + skills == gg. OMG Mewtwo upgrade with his Giovanni armor OMG OMG OMG OMG I think I'm going to die. In a true MMO fashion, of course.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

That still would be funny. People surfing on Blastoise and Dewgongs and Lapris and I'll come by on my Goldeen *tweeeeeeeet*

It'd be awesome if things like Gyms and Elite 4 and stuff like that was player controlled.

Battles would be tricksy to control if they were real time, though...

I had always hoped they would of done this. Better yet, if they made it I'd still play it. They would have to balance out a lot of the pokemon as some are vastly more stronger then others *coughlegendariescough*. But over all I think it has a lot of merit and potential if done right.

It'd be awesome if things like Gyms and Elite 4 and stuff like that was player controlled.
    I thought about that before. But maybe have the 8 gyms in every region and what not as normal, but have player created gyms as well to the normal ones. It would be pretty cool battling player gyms for their badges and what not.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It sound totally win, it sounded like it wasn't my thing, but the more I hear, it dosen't sound bad at all. Do it, Nintendo!

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I doubt that the legendaries would be as easily catchable as they are in their handheld incarnations. You'd have to do something really drastic or epic to have a meeting with them.

Somehow, I'm seeing this like the anime show, since there is a basis for somewhat realistic actions. Legendaries wouldn't really be catchable, and if they were, it's an immoral action. Player-established gyms could come from people with enough battle wins and good enough reputation (needs more Listchecker).

Where's RPG maker? Does that multiplayer functionality? We need this NOW.

Either way, it'd have to be pulled off very well. If they started making this, I would buy it. Twice.