Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite messaging service?!

I don't really chat online anymore- but there's myspace... But I don't really like myspace either. MSN is good.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

IRC as the preferred chatting medium, however mostly everyone I talk to uses AIM.

MSN, everyone i know uses it and its just so simple.

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The member of Eyes on Final Fantasy that is known as Loony BoB and has a userid of 22 and is currently feeling happy and would like to just make a shout out to his good old mate Dan says:
    I like to use Yahoo! Messenger, AIM and IRC.
    The member of Eyes on Final Fantasy that is known as Loony BoB and has a userid of 22 and is currently feeling happy and would like to just make a shout out to his good old mate Dan says:
    So long as you know what you're doing, then Y!M is not a problem.
    Set it to the Classic skin, for a start - this solves most of the problems people might have with the thing. Then just minimise the crappy bits and it looks fine and dandy, just like it did years ago.
    The voicechat and webcam facilities are superior to those used on MSN, easily. Particularly voice conferences. I detest MSN's version of voice conferences.
    If I have to talk to someone on MSN, I use Y!M, thanks to the new functionality between the two systems, which is great.
    It means I don't have to bother logging into Trillian anymore, just to talk to people on MSN.
    The things that I need, Y!M provides.
    This includes nicknames, offline messages, secure archives, mail alerts (Y!Mail > Hotmail), an effective invisible mode (although I don't use that these days, admittedly), a lot of friends on the list...
    ...and perhaps most importantly, much like all decent messaging systems, it doesn't put what you're saying below a freakishly long username that is constantly changed so you never know who the bloody hell you're talking to.
    IRC is good for chatrooms - obviously.
    AIM is good for file exchanges, especially if you use the direct transfer function. That's lovely.
    MSN is annoying on too many levels. I can't understand the conversations people quote to me. You lot are just lucky that this post, at the least, is not a conversation and just me making a point with a single username. Good for you.

TRANSLATION
    BoB: I like to use Yahoo! Messenger, AIM and IRC.
    BoB: So long as you know what you're doing, then Y!M is not a problem.
    BoB: Set it to the Classic skin, for a start - this solves most of the problems people might have with the thing. Then just minimise the crappy bits and it looks fine and dandy, just like it did years ago.
    BoB: The voicechat and webcam facilities are superior to those used on MSN, easily. Particularly voice conferences. I detest MSN's version of voice conferences.
    BoB: If I have to talk to someone on MSN, I use Y!M, thanks to the new functionality between the two systems, which is great.
    BoB: It means I don't have to bother logging into Trillian anymore, just to talk to people on MSN.
    BoB: The things that I need, Y!M provides.
    BoB: This includes nicknames, offline messages, secure archives, mail alerts (Y!Mail > Hotmail), an effective invisible mode (although I don't use that these days, admittedly), a lot of friends on the list...
    BoB: ...and perhaps most importantly, much like all decent messaging systems, it doesn't put what you're saying below a freakishly long username that is constantly changed so you never know who the bloody hell you're talking to.
    BoB: IRC is good for chatrooms - obviously.
    BoB: AIM is good for file exchanges, especially if you use the direct transfer function. That's lovely.
    BoB: MSN is annoying on too many levels. I can't understand the conversations people quote to me. You lot are just lucky that this post, at the least, is not a conversation and just me making a point with a single username. Good for you.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I used to exclusively use Yahoo because I think it has the best voice chat option,none of this 'hold a button and record your message' type of business like msn does.
    But I don't use it anymore since no on else that I know does,lol.
    I would like AIM if the emoticons didn't suck beyond belief.
    I hardly use it anymore even though most of the people I know use it.
    MSN is the way to go for me now,especially since you can actually create emoticons yourself and all the other features arent too shabby.
    I never used to like MSN because it would always boot me off the internet,but that problem seems to be fixed now D:

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

MSN because I am lazy and don't much care. It does what it's supposed to - for what I use it for anyway - so I see no real reason to bother with anything else.

MSN. I never use aim or yahoo anymore because they suck beyond belief.

I don't use any messenger service; they are silly. I just use MySpace to talk to people, or my cell phone.

AIM fer sure. It's just more convenient because all my friends use it.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Despite the fact that I've already posted in this thread, I just read the title as "What's your favorite massaging service?!"

Answer: Indonesian blind masseuse.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

So far a lot of people have said Y!M and "anything but MSN" suck, but I don't recall any people giving their actual reasoning for it. Maybe this is just a natural bias. Personally, I think more than anything, it's that people are too lazy/oblivious to download different software and use it. They see MSN on their Windows install and they just use that, and because of this, everyone else does too. It's rather sad. It's a terrible system, and to my knowledge all it's flaws are easily rectified by using another system. Y'all are lazy, nothing more, nothing less!

Actually I've used all 3 and yahoo and aim suck balls when compared to msn and all it's glorious features.
    The messenger is standing at the gate
    Ready to let go
    Ready for the crush
    Too late for whispers
    Too late for the blush
    The past is mercy
    When the future is aglow

Blog Entries

I use msn is enough for me I just chat with my brother or bf daily so I don't really care

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    So far a lot of people have said Y!M and "anything but MSN" suck, but I don't recall any people giving their actual reasoning for it. Maybe this is just a natural bias. Personally, I think more than anything, it's that people are too lazy/oblivious to download different software and use it. They see MSN on their Windows install and they just use that, and because of this, everyone else does too. It's rather sad. It's a terrible system, and to my knowledge all it's flaws are easily rectified by using another system. Y'all are lazy, nothing more, nothing less!
    It's a terrible system that can be easily fixed with a couple of patches. Yahoo just sucks because it's a horrible, unreliable service.

Also, that "freakishly long user name" you were complaining about is mostly the fault of the person you're talking to, and partially your own fault. My MSN name is just my real name. Everyone else's name on my list is their own real name, because I gave them all nicknames.

nicknames, offline messages, secure archives, mail alerts (Y!Mail > Hotmail), an effective invisible mode (although I don't use that these days, admittedly), a lot of friends on the list...
    MSN has all of these things. (Also, Gmail > than Y!Mail AND Hotmail. :P)
    Last edited by Roto13; 02-01-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Gmail is terrible because it's alternative to folders is frankly horrendous. Other than that, though, the entire system is a ripoff of Y!Mail.

You shouldn't have to patch a messenger service to make it work. I still don't see what people are complaining about Y!M for, though. Horrible? Unreliable? How? It's more reliable for me than MSN is, that's for sure. And yes, I know how reliable MSN is because Danielle uses it. I'm assuming you're talking about connections, because I don't know any other thing that you can say is unreliable about a messenger service.

Also, MSN does not have a quality voice conferencing system.