Thread: Quite bothered by the PSP version

Default Quite bothered by the PSP version

I know, I'm behind the times, but I just got the money to buy both a PSP and the game.

I'm partway through chapter 1 and my biggest complaint is the name of Prince Larg's Knights... (SPOILER)They're no longer the Hokuten..

I noticed a lot of "l" and "r" confusion paired with "s" and "th" confusion (like "Balbanes" to "Barbaneth" and "Algus" to "Argeth"), which I don't mind. Also some skills now cost different amounts of JP.

The AI seems a bit better for the enemies and guests alike.

And I haven't really looked into it, but I was wondering. The missons at the Tavern (like Melee and Rendevouz)... Can they be done by yourself, or do they require a second PSP and so forth?

Another issue is the game seems to lag when you do anything. The sound is right on, by the video takes a second to catch up, when you use anything other than a regular attack.

And my final complaint is the verbage in the game. The old English style of talking is somewhat confusing, whereas the original dialog was usually pretty direct. I know the game is set in an old-European setting (to compare it to something in the real world) which explains the changes in the more japanese sounding names to a more European type deal, but the language is kinda confusing. Of course I understand because I practically know the whole game word for word anyway, but for people who didn't play the original FFT, I fear that this issue might cause them to not follow the amazing story as closely as they should.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

"Hokuten" is Japanese. Tactics takes place in a European-style setting, so the English translation, "Northern Sky," is more appropriate.

Transliterating names is a matter of interpretation, especially when the game's staff don't supply ready-made transliterations for the Japanese names.

Some skills cost different amounts of JP than what you remember because the amounts were changed for the American PlayStation release. The amounts in the PSP version are the original values from the Japanese version.

At its very best moments, you could say the original localization was "direct," but it was usually a muddled, mangled, poorly-translated mess. In contrast, the new script by Alexander O. Smith is downright poetic.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I think that nostalgia for the original version can cloud the judgment of those that play the new version.

I agree that it is unfortunate that the script had to be revised so much, but I think that it is for the best for the game and for the franchise. The name changes are slightly annoying because they are numerous and seemingly trivial — an "R" here, an "L" there, — but this is how it should have been done to begin with.

I thought the original version was charming and humorous, unintentionally. I make jokes with a friend of mine about how you can go and get a sandwich during the introduction to Chapter 1 because of l i t t l e  m o n e y and all of that. Honestly, I really did make a sandwich in the middle of that! That is not appropriate for a game of this calibur.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Articles
    Blog Entries

translating things like Hokuten and Nanten into what they mean in English doesn't really bother me... it's maybe a little more appropriate. However, I like Balbanes alot more than Barbaneth, I think personal preference might cause me to dislike some characters' new names. But I'm not getting a PSP so it doesn't matter.

I've watched some of the movies and I'm not very fond of the british (or whatever) accents. When I play a game without voice acting, (as I did with Tactics) I expect the characters to talk like myself. The british accent was the trademark of Archadia, the far northeastern of Ivalice. Dalmascans had American accents, Rozarrians....something else, I don't see why the western region that came to call itself Ivalice would have Archadian accents.

The biggest change I think that was taken with the translation was that the Zodiac stones are at least occasionally (possibly always) referred to as "Auracite". This provides the direct link between FFXII-Revenant Wings-FFT.

Okay, I just finished Chapter 1 and (SPOILER)I'm upset that they took away the epilogue with the music and the still image of Fort Zeakden and replaced it with a movie and no music. Seriously.

Also, I noticed that it takes more JP to gain job levels and it takes higher job levels to unlock jobs, which adds more challenge, so I'm okay with that.

And the freaking AI is really good on the enemy side. They always use break (or I guess "Rend") techniques and they also steal a lot, which is actually more crippling than merely doing HP damage.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Personally, the name changes and translation don't bother me in the least (in fact, I prefer both, as prefer European-styled names to Japanese-styled names, and I think the script is phenomenal, at least on par w/ XII imo). I felt it harder to get into the original Tactics with the... spotty translation. Also, I think the voice acting is great, especially for a hand-held game.

The only thing that bugs me is the lag time when you use almost any ability or item. Just kinda frustrating, considering how many times I can lose the same battle and still have fun playing. Also, the AI can be a bit annoying (I officially hate chocobos in this game. Choco cure? COME ON!)

The new text is great, makes it seem like a whole new game, and a better one at that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

I think that the new translation presents a surmountable problem to players of the original translation because it will be difficult, for a time, to discuss abilities and gameplay without causing confusion because of the different translations; for example, see feioncastor's "break" versus "rend" comment.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by feioncastor View Post
    And the freaking AI is really good on the enemy side. They always use break (or I guess "Rend") techniques and they also steal a lot, which is actually more crippling than merely doing HP damage.
    damn, the original FFT could be frustrating enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    I think that the new translation presents a surmountable problem to players of the original translation because it will be difficult, for a time, to discuss abilities and gameplay without causing confusion because of the different translations; for example, see feioncastor's "break" versus "rend" comment.
    Boo hoo, dude. You can't expect them to keep the original script the same considering all of the flaws; the new translation brings the game to its full potential. The argument that it may cause some confusion for the minority of gamers who discuss strategy on the interwebs is negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomew View Post
    Boo hoo, dude. You can't expect them to keep the original script the same considering all of the flaws; the new translation brings the game to its full potential. The argument that it may cause some confusion for the minority of gamers who discuss strategy on the interwebs is negligible.
    I know, I know... I'm actually quite happy about the addition of the phrase "Spoony Bard".

Can anyone remind at which point is the phrase used? I've already forgotten.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomew View Post
    Despite the fact that the above member is banned, I would like to clarify that I like the new translation over the old translation, so his comments were relatively misinformed.

The fact remains that a majority of the fan support for this game came from those who played the old translation first, so there really is a sense of confusion when discussing parts of the game because some go by the new translation and some go by the old translation. This will correct itself in time, and I was just pointing it out, so...

A figure clad in armor. Darkwolf090's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Acerbus Lupus (Mysidia)

Truth be told I like the new version more then the PSX version for several key reasons.
    1. The new style of speech is much more correct for this style of game.
    2. The new CS's are very very well done, it was amazing to play through the game again and see the greatest moments in a full 3D view with voice actors who were very good imo.
    3. New Job Classes, if you ask me they made Dark Knight for Ramza to be, as Delita becomes a Holy Knight, and Ramza as the Heratic, what else could be better? A totally broken job that is a pain in the ass to unlock!
    4. Bonus Guest Chars, Balthier is a Machinest on crack... yea...
    5. They fixed all there messed up translated stuff, like when you summon stuff is tells you the name of the move, not the summons name, just little stuff like that made me happy.

I mean dont get me wrong, Im never going to delete my lvl 99 Ramza data on my PSX version, but the Lion's War is just a beautiful remake of a beautiful game, the new speech as I agree is very poetic.
    I care not for harmony nor discord. - Golbez
    It is better to die and be remembered forever, then it is to live on and have no one know your alive. Do what you want, hold nothing back!