Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FFI Novices

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default FFI Novices

So I'm totally going to partake in the FFI challenge that starts TOMORROW. But I've never played this game before in my life and I'm pretty sure this bad boy comes before the era of hour long pre-storyline tutorials. Is there anything a novice should know before starting the game?

Also, the other novices should feel free to use this thread for noob questions that can't be readily found in the forum.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Depends which version your playing?

As for some general things to know, Thief's have a special ability that they can almost always run away from a fight.

And if your on the NES version there's no redirection, meaning when your Fighter one shots that poor imp, your 3 other members will stupidly swing at the air and waste a turn making sure said Imp is even more dead.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am playing the NES version, and that's good to know. I pretty much exclusively rely on the redirect function.

A the good 'ole classic one.

Then some other good notes to take, you can only learn 3 spells total on any mage, and they can't be removed, so you gotta pick carefully what they learn.

If you use a Black Belt, around level 10 unequip their weapons and they become stronger with bare fisted attacks then any weapon.

That's about the biggest things I can think of at the moment.

Anyone on the NES version I highly suggest checking out Unne's site since it has the most complete FF I NES info I've ever seen.

Edit: Doh seems likes Unne site is down for maintenance at the moment. Geez and I was just on it yesterday looking up stuff.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

if you have a white mage, get her a hammer8)

also, you will die really easily, so spend forever levelling up.

Blog Entries

I remember that certain spells in the NES version never did what they were supposed to. I think the "TEMP" one was one of them. So don't get that one!

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wait, I can only pick THREE spells per mage? That's crazy. Do they become better as I level? Are all the spells available from the get go?

You buy spells from shops. I believe there is only one shop that sells each spell. At the start you can only get level 1 spells in Corneria, and as you progress in towns you get access to higher tier spells.

Generally though the best spells you want are healing and nukes. Then everything else is fluff.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Unne's site is Final Fantasy Classic not .com.

Odd, my link is working now as well and is .com not .net in the browser.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Apparently he owns both. CRAZY

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    Wait, I can only pick THREE spells per mage? That's crazy. Do they become better as I level? Are all the spells available from the get go?
    You can learn 3 spells per magic level, to be exact. There are 8 magic levels and your mages will be able to learn higher level magic after levelling up. So, up to 24 spells total, 3 per magic level.

As oddler said, that's 3 spells per level per mage.

You have to buy all your spells, higher level spells are available in towns you reach later in the game.

Don't buy any level 7 spells in Onrac, they all suck. The level 7 spells available in Gaia are far superior.

LEFEIN HAS A HIDDEN MAGIC SHOP (it's over to the side somewhere), so don't fill up all 3 of your level 8 magic spaces with spells from Gaia.

Remember about the non-redirection and strategize your attacking.

After you get the ship and are hanging around in the Aldi Sea between Coneria, Pravoka, and Elfland, sail up to Coneria when you need to use an Inn; it's 30g vs. 50g in Pravoka and 100g in Elfland. Plus the trip takes virtually no time at all.

The best spells to buy are probably FIRE, LIT, ICE, CURE, HARM, LIFE and their higher level versions. HARM is a great way to take out undead monsters (it's the only thing it's good for, but there are a lot of undead in this game so it's worth picking up). CURE and HEAL are the only spells that can be used both in and out of battle; LIFE and LIF2 can only be ued outside of battle.

There are a number of weapons and armors that can be used as "Item"s in battle and produce special effects when used this way. For example, the Zeus Gauntlet, when used as an "Item", acts as a shot of LIT2.

Do the class change sidequest on the Cardia Islands/Castle of Ordeal. All your Light Warriors become more powerful, your mages turn into wizards and can use all spells (except Red Wizards, but they're special), and Fighter and Thief turn into Knight and Ninja and can use low level White (Knight, up to level 3) and Black (Ninja, up to level 4) magic.

You only get a certain number of shots of spells of a given level at a time. Ration your spells carefully. The only way to restore these is to stay at an Inn or use a HOUSE (but beware with the house, the magic regenerates AFTER it saves your game, so it's wise to use a TENT afterwards to save your full magic. Tents are cheap.).

I'm sure there's a lot more, but this is all I can think of for now. Hope it's not confusing at all

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

See I don't need a thread for my noob questions. I can just ask rob and he'll tell me.

Blog Entries

If you're playing the NES with a Fighter or RM, it is worth it to buy that 4000 G Silver Sword.

If you have a BM, keep in mind that Wizards are susceptible to LIT.

FAST is the best spell in the game.

Use Unne's site (or experiment, hell, that's what I did) to find out which items have magical properties (if it isn't obvious), because unlimited lv. 3 magic spells can be pretty freaking useful.

Also, don't nbother trying to keep a BB alive through Kraken or Warmech or Chaos. Let him die. It's just part of the way things are.

Oh, and use a tent to save your game outside Astos' Castle.

Restart if you hit Wizards in the Ice Cave or Gas Dragons in the ToF.

Finally, as I'm sure you all know, don't sell your Ribbons for that coveted 1 G.