Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: superbowl

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

I am totally freaked.

Seriously. I watched the game up to about 5 minutes before half-time. However, I was feeling ill so I decided to go to sleep. After all the Patriots certainly appeared to be the stronger team.

Last night I had a dream that the giants won(though in my dream it was a complete landslide in the last half). Well despite the dream I got online this morning to look up how badly the Patriots won and.... well you can imagine my surprise.

Yes, I am freaked out....

Anyways a big Kudos to the Giants(though I am a Patriots fan and have been since 96-97 or so).

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodline666 View Post
    They should have Peyton Manning do ALL the commercials next year, and have him do LIVE COMMERCIALS during halftime!
    You may be a Cowboys fan, but I like the way you think. The commercials sucked this year.

Idun and Sephiroth fan Little Al's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShunNakamura View Post
    I am totally freaked.

Seriously. I watched the game up to about 5 minutes before half-time. However, I was feeling ill so I decided to go to sleep. After all the Patriots certainly appeared to be the stronger team.

Last night I had a dream that the giants won(though in my dream it was a complete landslide in the last half). Well despite the dream I got online this morning to look up how badly the Patriots won and.... well you can imagine my surprise.

Yes, I am freaked out....

Anyways a big Kudos to the Giants(though I am a Patriots fan and have been since 96-97 or so).
    That sounds similar to a dream someone else I know, but with more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by the other person nintendogamer knows
    I dreamed that the Giants beat the Patriots 49-0.
    The rest of it is him wondering if the Giants would pull that score off.
    Much to his surprise.... Like yours, it came half true.

Credit: To Krad-Eelav of deviantART for this sig!!!

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Awesome game. It's what the Patriots deserved to happen. I was rooting for the Giants all the way, and I dislike Eli Manning. That Giants D-line was amazing and I cheered everytime Brady was smashed (so there was a lot of cheering).

I will say this: Eli's TD pass to Plaxico Burress that ended up being the game-winner? That reminded me of Joe Montana to John Taylor from Super Bowl XXIII. Only difference is, Manning's game-winning pass was 3 yards longer than Montana's, and it left one more second on the clock than Montana's, but still...just as impressive nonetheless. From the statistical information I've gathered on game-winning TD passes, Montana's TD to John Taylor ranks as the latest game-winning touchdown in Super Bowl history, and Manning's to Plaxico ranks second in that category.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I hope these new alligations of cheating in the Super Bowl against the Rams come true and implode the Patriots!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    I hope these new alligations of cheating in the Super Bowl against the Rams come true and implode the Patriots!
    Don't get my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    The Pats could be imploding from within, instead of as a result of these "new allegations". This off-season, the Pats have a TON of personnel-related decisions to make, and they will not only have an impact on them on the field next season, but will also have an impact with regards to the Salary Cap.

First off, Donte Stallworth has his roster bonus due in March, so he faces being released for salary cap reasons. Not only that, but from what I understand, their most notable unrestricted free agents-to-be include:
    • Troy Brown
    • Tedy Bruschi
    • Jabar Gaffney
    • Randall Gay
    • Junior Seau
    • Asante Samuel
    • And the big one, Randy Moss
    Now, Bruschi and Brown may retire, and Seau is the most likely candidate to retire. But Samuel and Moss carry the biggest salary cap implications. The season they have had may have raised their stock in free agency, and for all we know, they may have been rehearsing for their next NFL jobs this entire season.

And that's not all the salary cap implications involved with the Pats. They had a first-round draft pick confiscated as a result of Spygate (the first time the league has ever confiscated draft picks as punishment). The thing is, though, on draft day last year, they traded their own 1st round draft pick that year with the 49ers for some of the Niners picks that year (one of which was traded to the Raiders for Randy Moss), as well as the Niners' first round draft pick for THIS YEAR! Well, I believe the Niners finished 4-12 this season, bad enough for the 7th overall pick. Well, as it turns out, the draft pick that was confiscated was their own (31st overall, by virtue of being Super Bowl runner-up), so the Pats have the 7th overall pick. It looks enticing and everything on paper (and looks like the Pats got the easy punishment by losing their own draft pick instead of San Fran's)...except look at the money involved with the 7th overall pick. That looks like a salary cap liability to go along with all the salary cap liabilities they are already faced with.

The Pats are at risk of either losing key players like Randy Moss to free agency, or a possible salary cap violation, so don't be surprised if the Pats trade down with the first round pick they acquired with the 49ers. They need to get younger on defense, anyway, and the 7th overall pick isn't enough for them to do that.

In other news coming out of 18-1 Chokeartistville, Tom Brady and Randy Moss have shown the world just how bad of a taste in their mouth this loss gave them; they have pulled out of next week's Pro Bowl. Pro Bowl alternates Derek Anderson (Cleveland Browns) and Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson (Cincinnati Bengals) have been named to replace the two, respectively.
    Last edited by Bloodline666; 02-05-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

For those of you who think the government has no business investigating Spygate or the allegations of the Pats video-taping the Rams' private walkthrough prior to Super Bowl XXXVI, simply because "the government has no business in sports", here's a wake-up call.

First of all, almost every team in sports plays in publicly-subsidized stadiums (meaning for those of you with professional sports teams in your hometowns, your taxes are paying for those stadiums). Not only that, but all games are played over airwaves controlled by federal licenses. Those licenses prohibit any pre-arrangement or artifice in what is presented as live competition. Because of latter fact, I think it should be investigated further by Congress, especially when you consider the fact that a former Pats video employee by the name of Matt Walsh claims to know more damning details of Spygate than what the league or the media and fans know, but will not go public with it unless the league or Congress asks for it directly, due to fear of retaliation by the Pats (with whom he signed a non-disclosure agreement as soon as he left the team).

However, a government investigation into cheating in sports is not unprecedented. The only reason Baseball even considered cracking down on steroids and performance-enhancing drugs is because they were threatened with legislative action by Congress. And now, with Andy Pettite, Roger Clemens, and Brian McNamee scheduled to testify before Congress in the wake of the Mitchell Report, Baseball could again come under fire from Congress. But even that wasn't the first time the Federal Government has been involved in sports scandals.

Federal investigations into athletic dishonesty go all the way back to 1920, when a grand jury convened to investigate the 1919 Chicago White Sox after rumors floated all year that they may have thrown the World Series, in what is now known as the Black Sox Scandal. The 8 players involved in that scandal were later acquitted (with help from the fact that key evidence to secure a conviction, including signed confessions by Eddie Cicotte and "Shoeless" Joe Jackson, mysteriously disappeared from the hands of prosecutors), but even that did not save them from the wrath of newly-elected Baseball Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis (arguably the most dictatorial commissioner in the history of sports).

So if a World Series (or multiple seasons worth of Baseball, for that matter) affected by cheating warranted a Federal investigation, then so, too, should a Super Bowl affected by cheating.
    Last edited by Bloodline666; 02-05-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Oh, I know the government's given a lot of oversight to sports (especially MLB and NFL) because of the stadium sudsidies, tax breaks, etc. I just think they shouldn't be doing any of that crap in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch!
    I believe this may be the best commercial ever made.
    The '72 Dolphins are a bunch of pompous, delusional idiots. That Morris guy, especially. I saw an interview with him some odd weeks ago where he said that if the Patriots went 19-0, then that still wouldn't be any more impressive than the Dolphins's 17-0 back in '72, because "it's the same percentage." I am pretty sure that that's the dumbest sports' argument I've ever heard. Just the possibility of shutting those old geezers up almost made me want to root for the Patriots.

In other news coming out of 18-1 Chokeartistville, Tom Brady and Randy Moss have shown the world just how bad of a taste in their mouth this loss gave them; they have pulled out of next week's Pro Bowl. Pro Bowl alternates Derek Anderson (Cleveland Browns) and Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson (Cincinnati Bengals) have been named to replace the two, respectively.
    If you also read the reason, they both have ankle injuries
    Now, for Randy Moss, not sure I believe that, but I do believe Tom Brady has an ankle injury, and did before the superbowl, but he wasn't going to let that stop him from playing in the biggest game of the season.

man, I really hope Eli doesn't let this go to his head and become like his brother

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    If you also read the reason, they both have ankle injuries
    Now, for Randy Moss, not sure I believe that, but I do believe Tom Brady has an ankle injury, and did before the superbowl, but he wasn't going to let that stop him from playing in the biggest game of the season.

man, I really hope Eli doesn't let this go to his head and become like his brother

THE JACKAL
    Belichick is even more of a dishonest, unsportsmanlike ass, then. Brady's ankle wasn't even on the injury report. If it REALLY was an issue, then Belichick has an obligation as a public sports figure to disclose that, regardless of the media attention given to it. He didn't. I believe Ditka's already called him out on it. As a sportsman, you have an obligation to be honest when you fill out that form. But then again, we all know that Belichick is a worthless human being.

EDIT: I should add, though, that I have no problem with any player skipping the Pro Bowl, for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Kirobaito; 02-05-2008 at 07:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Yeah everyone skips the probowl nowadays

Well, just when you think it couldn't get worse for the Pats, it already has.

First, allegations of Randy Moss beating women surface.
    Then Spygate resurfaces in the form of a Congressman asking Goodell what exactly was in those destroyed tapes and why they were destroyed without answering any questions about it.
    And if that's not enough, more severe allegations related to Spygate surface, this time, that the Pats taped the Rams' private walkthrough (a LOT worse than simple "sideline videotaping") prior to Super Bowl XXXVI.
    Then there's the Super Bowl XLII loss.

And now, two days after the Super Bowl, a Patriots player has been arrested for drug possession and driving an unregistered vehicle.