Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Original KOTOR looks ancient...

I like to spread it thick.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post

Water is wet.

Clocks are for telling time.

You can talk to people from great distances using a telephone.

Wood is flammable.

You can buy bread in a store.
    In liquid form.

And, when using analog clocks, for telling where north/south are in the southern/northern hemisphere.

Depends on the connection.

Ever tried burning wet wood?

What kind of store?

Jokes aside, I know what you mean. It's amazing looking at some old films and games that I used to enjoy. With the old Doctor Who's, I can't help thinking "How did anyone ever fall for that?". I love it.

Also, mocking this topic is like mocking people who say "It's nice out today?" to start a conversation. They know you know it's nice out today, they're just trying to be friendly. Don't be such jackasses.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarice-ness View Post
    I mean if the graphic's from some of the earlier 360's are looking ancient that either means:

A. We're becoming to attuned to the better graphics and spoiled by them.
    B. The graphics are just getting so dramatically better that even things over a year and a half old currently will end up looking ancient in another year or so.
    Knights of the Old Republic is an Xbox 1 game from four-and-a-half years ago.
    Will end up =/= has already happen.

Though Avarice is right, and soon enough a year will make that much difference. Remember, consoles didn't go up in 8-bit increments, it went 8, 16, 32, 64, 126, etc. Not that we care about bits anymore, but that's pretty much how every single component is going. Exponential wheee! Of course once we reach perfect graphics the question is what next?

Pfft. You guys may not agree, but I think this thread's got a point. What's interesting isn't that KOTOR looks dated now, but that it didn't look dated five years ago. In fact, games from that generation looked positively spellbinding. I remember looking at the likes of MGS2 and wondering just how much visuals could improve. It's pretty weird how the new technology looked so impressive at the time, but its flaws are so obvious to us now. It'll be just as surprising when we look back on today's games in a generation's time, too. I guarantee it.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Of course once we reach perfect graphics the question is what next?
    Hopefully better/more intuitive gameplay designs, which has been drawn far too short in later years.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    I like to spread it thick.
    hot

Also, KOTOR, like many other older games, does look crappy ...but that's overshadowed by how awesome it is.

damn straight
    i havent played in a while cuz the gameplay fails compared to k2 plus the lvl 20 limit
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

The gameplay is almost exactly the same, aside from that level cap.

Yeah.. I didnt notice a huge difference (if any?) and KOTOR 2 kinda presented -why- there was a level cap in the original. Since my character was like a god by the end of KOTOR 2. Even though it was still fun and maybe only slightly challenging.. The developers wanted the end of the original to be a real fight for your life endgame. And they seemed to think level 20 was the way to achieve that. You're strong enough to survive almost anything with some decent strategy or lots of items. But not so strong you can kill anything in three attacks

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually this thread makes me feel nostalgic. Also, I realized that sometimes I greatly prefer old 2D graphics over 3D ones. Probably it depends from the fact that 2D graphics haven't had as great an evolution as 3D ones since SNES times.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cz View Post
    Pfft. You guys may not agree, but I think this thread's got a point. What's interesting isn't that KOTOR looks dated now, but that it didn't look dated five years ago. In fact, games from that generation looked positively spellbinding. I remember looking at the likes of MGS2 and wondering just how much visuals could improve. It's pretty weird how the new technology looked so impressive at the time, but its flaws are so obvious to us now. It'll be just as surprising when we look back on today's games in a generation's time, too. I guarantee it.
    Definately - the sarcasm or cynical comments clearly misunderstand what this thread is about.

It makes me think of the Spawn movie from the 90's. At the time the special effects were amazing, but even a few years ago they looked almost comical. I even felt this way about the first matrix one of the last times I saw it.

For a gaming example, it reminds me of watching tekken tag on the ps2 when the console first came out. I remember asking myself "how much better do we really need it to get?" but we've come to realize the ways 3d, while still retaining its original concept, can really be pushed to the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Yeah.. I didnt notice a huge difference (if any?) and KOTOR 2 kinda presented -why- there was a level cap in the original. Since my character was like a god by the end of KOTOR 2. Even though it was still fun and maybe only slightly challenging.. The developers wanted the end of the original to be a real fight for your life endgame. And they seemed to think level 20 was the way to achieve that. You're strong enough to survive almost anything with some decent strategy or lots of items. But not so strong you can kill anything in three attacks
    Well in the D20 system, level 5-10 characters are already heroic and can do things that most people would never dream of. Level 20 characters are almost godlike in power, and anything above that is getting into the domain of heroes like Achilles or Beowulf.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Cz View Post
    Excellent point, one of few made in this thread
    Hell, I remember when even PS1 games looked fantastic - the original Gran Turismo, and FFVII and VIII's 'spellbinding' FMVs for example. Then there was the AI in Metal Gear Solid, with enemies so intelligent and realistic that they react to footprints and noise... heh.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I didn't think the game looked all that good even when it came out >.>

Edit: Read Cz's comment. I remember looking at those games and always seeing room for improvement. I thought that lighting was always one of the areas that needed the most improvement. Shadows never felt very realistic for example. It is getting better.

But now it seems as though games will start to only look as good as the textures it uses. I am more excited about the direction that spore may move the industry. Write a program that creates asphalt and let explosions and stuff destroy it in a realistic fashion without the need for textures and stuff.

I think the new ideas in how to improve AI and gameplay is what always surprises me. Graphics...not so much. I think it can be surprising how good a game can look on certain hardware but outside of that there is always room for improvement and certain areas are ones that keep getting better. Hair, liquids and blah blah blah.

Maybe I am just cynical and look for what could be improved XD
    Last edited by edczxcvbnm; 03-10-2008 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Araciel View Post
    The gameplay is almost exactly the same, aside from that level cap.
    no it aint. scripts are a hell lot better, dual weapon settings, hit H to switch, it actually looks good, learning different styles and scripts (echani battle, saber styles) would have liked different battle stances though
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???