Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Default Secret of Mana remake please

I was cruising through Wikipedia the other day and reading the Secret of Mana page when I came across the SNES Disc Drive section:
    Secret of Mana was originally going to be a launch title for the SNES CD add-on. After the project was dropped, the game had to be altered to fit onto a standard game cartridge. The game received a graphical downgrade and as much as 40% of the original content was removed.
    Now, I know everything in the Wikipedia should be taken with a grain of salt, but if this is true, I was thinking how cool it would be to play this game in its intended original form. With Square-Enix trying to find ways to add content to existing games for their remakes, this one seems to be a dead ringer for a remake, especially since so many people regard it so highly. Perhaps they lost the source code for the original version, who knows.

Wouldn't this be the perfect candidate for a remake?
    Figaro Castle

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

That Secret of Mana was originally developed as a CD-based game is true, and yes, it would be great if a remake could re-integrate all the content that had to be dropped in the conversion down to the SNES. Unfortunately, the Mana series is so far into the gutter at this point that it's now less likely to happen than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    That Secret of Mana was originally developed as a CD-based game is true, and yes, it would be great if a remake could re-integrate all the content that had to be dropped in the conversion down to the SNES. Unfortunately, the Mana series is so far into the gutter at this point that it's now less likely to happen than ever before.
    Agree'd. Then again, Squeenix would be silly enough to make this. I think only die hard fans would buy a remake, but as for people who've only experienced the "World of Mana" games, I don't think they'd be inclined to purchase it unless convinced by a friend or something.

I'd be all over that ice cream. At least slap that onto the DS or something. But I doubt anybody would pick it up... People like to bitch Square only cares about Final Fantasy games, but that's because they completely ignore everything else they do. It's too bad!

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator

Has the list of content removed from the original development of the game been made public?

I think that a redesign, remake, or port of this game could be highly successful. Secret of Mana is a classic title that older gamers — Kawaii Ryűkishi included — have played time and time again for the multiplayer aspect. In fact, it is an extremely popular title to play over SNES9X or ZSNES because it is a rare multiplayer role-playing game adventure.

This would be a viable title for the Nintendo DS. A marketing campaign displaying the ease of starting up an entire game with only your friends online would have the potential to spread like wildfire across fan communities, and would certainly ensure a solid fanbase to assist in establishing the Mana series back to its old roots.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Threads of Fate sequel first, plz.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    Has the list of content removed from the original development of the game been made public?
    No, but there's been speculation about certain conspicuously underdeveloped aspects of the plot that were probably more fleshed out originally.

Another thing to be gained from a remake is a new localization. Ted Woolsey famously had to translate the entire game in just five weeks while the programmers and writers were still in the middle of development, often forcing him to go back through and revise large portions of an enormous out-of-order text document. And despite the man's abilities, it shows.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    No, but there's been speculation about certain conspicuously underdeveloped aspects of the plot that were probably more fleshed out originally.
    Yes, I have heard speculation about what was cut from the game, too, but I would have liked to see some information from an interview from a developer or something like that. By looking at some of the unused content in the game, you can see that there may have been some bigger plans for gameplay, at some point, because there is a Sword Orb that you cannot access in the course of the game without using a glitch; however, the sword itself, when upgraded, becomes the Mana Sword, I think, and it increases attack power by a substantial amount and works perfectly fine in gameplay. Additionally, the plot of the game leaves ample room for expansion on certain plot points, so I wonder if there will ever be a release on some of the development materials on the game.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

That extra 40% of content was probably just backtracking from various locations on the map back to Sage Joch anyway.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I think what we had for SoM flowed perfectly.

Maybe an optional dungeon/magic diety thingyme... that's about all I'd want extra though...

I don't know. Then again, I've never played any Mana games. Maybe Squee is just gonna try to combine Mana with Fantasy. Final Manasy. I know. It's stupid.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Not really, considering the series started out at a spin-off of Final Fantasy, complete with Chocobos, Moguri, and the same style of sprites.

lol Final Fantasy Adventure

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Not really, considering the series started out at a spin-off of Final Fantasy, complete with Chocobos, Moguri, and the same style of sprites.
    That's because Koichi Iishi (former FF director) was the one who designed the Moogles and Chocobos. When he became the creator of the Mana series, he included them. The Mana series was ment to be an ARPG spin-off, but has since gone its own way (leaving Crystal Chronicles to take up that mantle).

Oh! And also: I'd LOOOOOOOVE a SoM remake for the DS! Love, love, love it!

Last edited by Bastian; 08-12-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Please don't revive threads that are six months old, Bastian. If you want to discuss the topic you're more than welcome to create a new thread and start a new discussion on it.
    Figaro Castle