That's right EoFFers, it's February, which means it's probably horribly cold outside. So what better way to celebrate than by playing the game that started it all, Final Fantasy I, along with your fellow members of Eyes On?

To kick off our new Eyes On Plays event, we're going to be celebrating the original Final Fantasy from several different angles, and this thread will serve as the hub for the whole shebang. So check back frequently, as this post will continuously be updated with links to new parts of this event, such as art and graphic design contests.

Eyes on Plays Final Fantasy I: RP Edition
It's a frenzied quest full of backstabbing, gil thieving, and mayhem. And it's run by Behold the Void, so you know it's quality, right?

Eyes on Plays Final Fantasy I: Graphical Design Contest
Come spread your Final Fantasy I love with Rye and the rest of our talented graphics artists. Surely you can make something better than my banner, huh!?

Now, for the main event:

Eyes on Plays Final Fantasy I Rules
To participate in the February Final Fantasy event, there are a few restrictions.
  1. When you begin the game, please post a digital camera picture or a screenshot in this thread of your game that has your party clearly visible on the screen. You MUST do this to be eligible for participation in the Challenges; we have to be able to see the names, classes, etc. of your party so we can compare it to your finishing party, and make sure you don't just stick in a memory card or load up a save state without putting in the effort.
  2. That's right, you must also post a picture from the END of the game in this thread with your same party being displayed. This way we can confirm whether or not you met the criteria for any/all of the challenges: what level your party is, what class they are, etc.
  3. You CAN play the game on an emulator, and you CAN give us a screenshot of that. Just don't go talking about where you got the rom, mmkay?
  4. You can achieve as many challenges as you want, and yes, you will be able to show off your winnings in some manner once this event is over.
  5. Challenges apply to specific versions of the game, due to the considerable variation in difficulty between each remake. Gold Star Challenges can be obtained for playing Final Fantasy on NES, Origins Hard Mode, or Wonderswan Color. Silver Star Challenges can be obtained for playing Final Fantasy on GBA, Origins Easy Mode, or PSP.

So, to reiterate: you must give us photo proof of your achievement for the challenges. We're not going to believe you beat the game with a Solo White Mage unless you can show us! We apologize if you can't give us proof, but we want to make it as fair as possible, competitively, for everyone involved. We hope you'll still play along even if you can't compete for the Challenges.

Remember, the goal of this event is not just competing. We want to stimulate discussion, create a fun atmosphere for playing the game, and get everybody participating.

Here's how you can really be awesome and help make this event as much fun as possible for everyone:

• Don't just go to GameFAQs to find a walkthrough. If you get stuck, make a thread in the Final Fantasy I forum!
  • If you discover something noteworthy, make a thread in the Final Fantasy I forum.
  • If you're way better at Final Fantasy I than Psychotic, make a thread in the Final Fantasy I forum. See where we're going with this? Have fun with the game and stimulate discussion.
  • If you're using an emulator, don't use save states or play on super speed. We're not going to forbid this (it would be too hard to enforce, hence the lack of a time-based challenge) and we want everyone to participate, but it's more fun when everyone is on an even playing field.

Also, feel free to include yourself in a picture for lulz, if you are so inclined.

Now, on to the challenges. Dun-dun-dun!

Gold Star Challenges - NES, Origins Hard Mode, Wonderswan Color
  • Complete Final Fantasy
  • Complete Final Fantasy on a REAL NES
  • Complete Final Fantasy with all party members Level 45 or higher
  • Complete Final Fantasy with all party members Level 19 or lower
  • Complete Final Fantasy with a party of four same-class characters
  • Complete Final Fantasy without obtaining a class upgrade
  • Complete Final Fantasy with a solo party

Silver Star Challenges - GBA, Origins Easy Mode, PSP
  • Complete Final Fantasy
  • Complete Final Fantasy with all party members Level 90 or higher
  • Complete Final Fantasy with all party members Level 15 or lower
  • Complete Final Fantasy with a party of four same-class characters
  • Complete Final Fantasy without obtaining a class upgrade
  • Complete Final Fantasy with a solo party

Remember, if you have leet skillz and absolutely no life, you could get every single one of these challenges, but it would imply playing through the game quite a few times. And it's fine to achieve more than one on a single playthrough--obviously, the "Complete the game" challenge could go along with any other challenge, such as "Complete Final Fantasy with a party of four same-class characters."

Feel free to discuss the event, ask questions, and ramble inanely about your progress in Final Fantasy I in this thread starting RIGHT NOW.