6 12.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WORST Final Fantasy?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

X... easily... I'm playing through it again right now and I consider it a chore. The plot is boring cause it's either A.) What temple do we need to go to next? or B.) What stupid thing is Yuna going to do that will require us to save her? Its really just boring and I still feel like Spira is presented like a damn tourist video. I just find it difficult to care about the world and its character. The pacing of the plot is slow and boring and I feel half the boss fights are put in their to keep the players attentive.

I think part of the problem is that the other games always had a party thrust together by coincedent and they get swept up in saving the world by accident cause things get out of hand. This is the first time your party is used to having the world saved every few years so they lack any real impact with their emotions. Sure its new to Tidus but for everyone else its "Tuesday" and only having one character excited and hitting emotional extremes at whats going on around him makes it hard to really care. Spira is the first RPG world that I didn't even give a damn about. I at least felt some need to save FFI's world and it's plot can be written on a single piece of paper. This is just sad to me...

It easily has my least favorite cast of characters with the exception of Tidus, Auron, and Jecht. I'm still trying to figure out the point of Seymour being in the plot. (Is it me or does it seem like his english VA is trying to do an impression of Steven Seagal with him?). Yuna especially makes it difficult to stomache this plot cause she lacks the proper psychological frame to go through with the pilgrimage which practically makes the plot difficult to swallow as well as making her one of the worst female leads in the series IMHO. Yes there are some touching moments but the games inability to make me care about the cast makes the scenes seem wasted to me. The VA is good for the most part except with the english VA for Yuna and Seymour. I just feel both of their VAs did uninspiring performances.

The game is so in love with its own plot that no attention was really given to dungeon or map designs which are mostly simple lines with little deviation. Only the temples provide some relief but they can't even hold your attention for very long. Even the battle sytem seems dumbed down so the game doesn't have to worry about you getting killed and missing more of the plot. Speaking of the battle system...

The battle system has the potential to be good but the game is too easy and holds your hand through half the boss battles. Not to mention the connect the proper character with the proper fiend makes the normal battles simply tedious. Even worse, the hardest challenge is just making sure everyone gets a turn so they can all get equal exp. This makes battles even more tedious and drawn out... The Sphere Grid is like everything else in this game, "on rails" and by the time you get enough special spheres to start customizing your party its practically the end of the game and is irrelevant cause once you complete your character basic section your powerful enough to wipe the floor with the final boss so powering up further is pointless. Don't start with me about Penace and the monster arena either... a game should be challenging throughout, not just an option you can choose later as a pointless sidequest.

It even has my least favorite soundtrack I'm afraid. Most of the tracks are boring and alot of them just plain annoy me. Half of it reminds me of bland music you would hear in a clothing store. Granted the few good tracks are quite excellent just few and far between for my taste.

Yes, I feel there are worse games out there but X to me was just "blah". It was so mediocre that I'm practically indifferent to it. Thats the problem I have with it. The other games in the series were great and really set a bar for excellency but X was just mediocre. Even its tacky sequel has better merits to it than this game. At least X-2 was a game!

...now let the flaming begin...

Articles
    Blog Entries

I actually agree with you on most of those points... yet it doesn't detract X from being a great game. If I were to apply the same level of standards to other games, the entire FF series would seem pretty sucky...

I say #2...it smells like a #2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver View Post
    The first X-2 is as fun as burnt pancakes cancer.
    Fixed

there was a picture here

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I actually agree with you on most of those points... yet it doesn't detract X from being a great game. If I were to apply the same level of standards to other games, the entire FF series would seem pretty sucky...
    OMG!!! You agree with me on something FF related?! Beware children for the end is nighh!!!

I do have high standards but then again I've been playing through this genre for a long time so I have a fair knowledge of my tastes. X just couldn't equal up to my standards and I feel its mostly cause of two factors. 1) X is the most heavily story based game in the series. For this I feel the gameplay side suffered horribly which is a shame cause the CTB system is really good. It just needed to have more of a challenge that would allow you to use it properly. 2) Since it is is so story heavy if you can't get into its plot or cast then the game is a nightmare to play through.

In comparison to other FF titles I felt it was a let down. They made a formula of what worked in previous installments and just made a bland recipe from it that produced X. The other games I felt were a little more daring but X seemed mostly safe to me. It was also very noob friendly and as a long time fan of the series, I was quite disappointed. On the contrary though, I do feel X is still better than alot of other games (I don't hate it, I just find it boring and horribly mediocre at best). My main issues come from my inability to like its story and characters. I do like the added touch of cinematics to boss fights but I feel it needed to be more consistant and as later games have shown, more interactive. It just didn't do anything for me I'm afraid...

I thought Final Fantasy V was pretty weak. I took the crystal ideas like FF I, II, III, and IV. Each other game though seems to have a better outlook than V. Even though I have never play FF I or II I think that FF I being the 1st one and all should have the crystal idea. II i don't know anything about but it seems kinda better than V i guess but don't take this statement far. FF III I thought was a better improved version of FF V the job classes were better i thought the storyline was pretty nice and the characters weren't too orginal like 5. IV had somethings that I had liked alot. FFV just didn't have what I needed I thought V was just a final fantasy they threw in because they needed money and combined FF III and I.

Thanks Polaris for the Awesome Avy and Sig!
    Beaten FF I,III,IV,V,VI,VII,VII CC,VII DC, VIII,IX,X,XII,XIII Dissidia Currently on I&X-2

A figure clad in armor. Darkwolf090's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Acerbus Lupus (Mysidia)

FFX-2 easy
    There was no reason to even make this game in all honesty if you think about, the end of X itself ended the story, so they feel like pulling this one out for the hell of it? X-2 was made for Fan boys who loved Yuna imo, its DoA of the FF universe nothing else.
    I care not for harmony nor discord. - Golbez
    It is better to die and be remembered forever, then it is to live on and have no one know your alive. Do what you want, hold nothing back!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I picked the X & X-2 option, because X-2 was my least favourite.

Str8 Pimpin'

I think FFX was one of the worst games if you looked at it only on the surface; the plot was pretty weakly structured and the principle enemies were disturbingly easy. However, if you were to attempt the sidequests, the game would become vastly more difficult. I have yet to beat Nemesis, unlock each ultimate weapon, etc.; at one point I was attempting to master the game and then realized that the mere satisfaction of doing so wasn't enough to keep me locked up in my room playing FFX for hours (in other words, I got sick of it). Still, I consider most arguments against the gameplay itself to be valid, although the game does hold a bit sentimental value for me, I guess.

I voted for FFX-2 as the worst. The lack of diversity within the playable characters (afterall, your party NEVER changes..!!!), in addition to their whole girl power-y theme was enough to make me sick. Plus, the game is just a whole series of sidequests slapped together. I admit that I liked the battle system and all, and the gameplay wasn't all THAT bad, but the plot and characters just ruined it, as well as the lunacy of the percentage system and the different endings (which, according to youtube, weren't all THAT different..). I still don't understand why (SPOILER)Tidus appeared at the end RANDOMLY, although friends tell me that it's because Yuna 'dreamed' of him. Uhh yeah. Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut2000X View Post
    VI was SO about Kefka. Everyone else was tertiary characters at best.
    xD That made me lol, but not that fake internet lol-ing, the kind where I actually laugh out loud.

I liked 5 the least.

Final Fantasy 8 was pretty dull at times ,but I have enjoyed them all.

I would vote FFX-2, but I figured you guys would shout at me because I haven't even played it. The idea just disgust me so much.

Instead I voted for FFVIII because of its crappy love story and overall less interesting characters. Thats not to say I didnt enjoy it. If I did say that, Id be lying.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Quote Originally Posted by Omni Legacy View Post
    I didn't like II, cause I dun like the grinding or that every character but one leaves.
    Only one character leaves, you stick with three throughout the entire game

Anyway, there really isnt a FF game that I consider the worst as they are all different(Still need to play VIII ><). There are some that I like more than others, but I dont really hate a certain FF

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

8 was definitely the most boring of the series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblades View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni Legacy View Post
    I didn't like II, cause I dun like the grinding or that every character but one leaves.
    Only one character leaves, you stick with three throughout the entire game

Anyway, there really isnt a FF game that I consider the worst as they are all different(Still need to play VIII ><). There are some that I like more than others, but I dont really hate a certain FF
    I think that he meant that only Leon stays permanently.