Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Red Mages are awesome (like anyone else was going to make this thread)

The one time I used Red Mage when I played through the game I regretted it.

Best combo is Fighter, Thief, White Mage, and Black Mage.

Redness... Oooh...

And also the ability to wield swords and use both magic. It's like a warrior, WM and BM all rolled into one. But still, a party of W, M, WM, BM is better than 4 RMs for some reason
    warning: i am NOT funny.

It all depends on what version of the game you are playing.

If it's the NES version, the best party with out repeats, is Fighter, Thief, Black Belt, Red Mage. Later in the game magic becomes pretty useless and early on it's so limited anyways. The spells you really need to hit a large group, become usable through items. Unlike later versions, the spells do a set amount of damage no matter what. So just let your fighting characters use the items. The Red mage can heal, and attack, which is really the only magic you might need.

In later versions, this changes, especially when MP is added. Then Black mage becomes a good addition. White mage can be good too, when you finally get some white magic attack spells.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Well, in my opinion RM is class just for support. I mean, I have 24 with my party already (in DoS, after class change) and probably RW is the weakest char in my team (K, RW, WW, BW). I remembered from NES version that he was very good char, quite big physical and magical dmg, good hp and mp and quite nice def. In DoS he's good physicaly but his intelligence is terrible, he does about 4x less magical dmg from spells than my BW. And (instead of NES version) he have a lot less hp that my WW. The only thing he's good at now in my party is supporting the rest like casting buffs, Nul-spells, status spells (like Focara or Confuse), healing etc.

So IMO RM/RW is, of course good character, but as acompany for WM/WW in supporting (having some BM/BW spells are big "+" for him)... Well, ok, and eventually fighting with his swordie ;p