Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Fighting Game

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default The Perfect Fighting Game

The Fighting game genre to me still hasn't really evolved along with all other genres. I like games like Street Fighter, MK, and Tekken, but I see them as recycling the same old thing and my question is what do you think it takes to create the perfect fighting game here are my views below.

#1 A truly cinematic experience- the battles should always feel intense a fight should feel like a scence from a AAA movie. Inserting cameras with effects like rotation slwo down and speed up would add to this effect.

#2 Combat System the combat system should be easy to learn, but hard to master. It shouldn't be a button masher in which a 6 year old playing for the first time could whoop your ass.

#3 Online play- The perfect fighting game must consist of online play to be truly wonderful because the joy of actually playing against actual people really heats up the bar. Character customization is a plus too with the ability to give your character his/her their own taunts and phrases when they come out.

#4 Environment landscape and destruction- I think that stages should be as large as a small city in GTA and environment can be the key to win a battle, environment weapons and traps are always good. Everything should really be very destructible too.

#5 Physics- Like I said above, destruction is key, but not just as thta. Some things should act out realistically like hair sawying in the wind, or for example you have a character who uses wind magic and as the opponet tries to adavance toward the caster he shields his eyes with his arms and his clothes start to tear under the wind. Burning is a plus too.

#6 Huge character Roster- I believe that having a wide variety of characters to play with is a plus too and they ca vary in may different ways. Some could fly some could not, Some have weapons and some can cast magic.

That's all I think of right now til I see you again

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I'll get on it right away.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Update: No Life bars. your enemies will start to breathe heavy when their about to get knocked out and willrespond more slowly This time I'm really gone see ya til I see ya.

Well I'm writing up a Character Roster and Storyline for a fighting game.

Though I agree with basically everything you said but the Life Bar. It could work with or without one.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Balance: There always seems to be one or two characters who can overwhelm most other characters without much timing or skill at all in the game...

Variation: Between characters, ones that might focus on empowering him/herself/allies(?) before attacking... for optimal effectiveness.

Pretty Visuals: I'd love a game that would feel like you're watching an epic spectacular Action Scene.

Lifebars: I like my Lifebars xD... I hate the whole submission KD thing that Wrestling games have xDDD

Can't think about anything else at the moment... a little busy. :3

Bushido Blade didn't have life bars. Didn't have good graphics or control either. So I couldn't appreciate it. I dunno about the whole "size of a small city" thing, but I get what you're talking about. It'd be nice if it weren't limited to a pre-arranged "arena area". I hear Street Fighter's supposed to make its 4th iteration. I was also told its to be in 3D? This scares me. It didn't fare well in 3D. I've never liked a 3D Capcom game anyway...

I gotta say though, your idea of the perfect fighting game sounds more like an action game with tons of boss fights or something. Will we do away with tiers and just move around this small city looking for the next fight :]

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Sounds like you haven't played Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (or 2, but 3 is better and has online) on the Wii. Dead serious. Pretty much describes just about everything you mentioned, except the life bars.

The rest of this post is a rant.

If the 3 games you mentioned are the only series you really play, you should take the following into consideration:
    -There hasn't been a completly new street fighter since 1997. Of the 3 main Street Fighter games, they actually are quite different and evolutionary. It might seem like the SF series hasn't changed much, because they tend to release the same game at least 2 more times with minor tweaks and makes you buy it again. (Also @vyk, Street Fighter 4 is a 2D fighter with 3D models)
    -Mortal Kombat: Grouping that with Tekken and SF seems kind of odd to me. Definitely not in the same league as the rest of the games you mentioned.

If you haven't played a Soul Calibur (any of 'em) or Virtua Fighter (4 at least), you really should sink your teeth into those. Tekken, Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter are like the 'holy trinity' of 3d fighting games.

As for button-mashing kids, depending on the game you're playing it's your own fault for allowing them to beat you by doing that. I say 'depending on the game' because there are lots of them out there that *don't* have proper anti-newb techniques. In the top fighting games (heck, even in DBZ) there are countermeasures to random button mashing that someone who should be more experienced in the game should be able to exploit.

Really though, everything you described would be more befitting of an action game than a serious fighting game. Particularly the moving camera, in a serious fighting game I feel that should only be limited moves that start with a grab or would otherwise normally prevent the target from being able to react. Using it anywhere else would seriously screw with strategy. That said, if you want action games that are kind of like fighting games (and if you don't have one of the new game systems), check out Devil May Cry 3 for PS2 or Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I think that online play is an extremely important element of any successful fighting game. I play Street Fighter Alpha 3 online with opponents from around the world and I would not have that appreciation for the game were online support not included with the emulator that I use; I think that Capcom could receive great benefits from implementing online playability in all of its fighting game titles, in particular.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

JK said a lot of stuff I was thinking ( and thanks for clarifying the SF4 thing :] ) I haven't enjoyed a Virtua Fighter game since like... 2. Or a Tekken game since like... ever lol :{ DoA grabbed me by the nuts though. That and Soul Calibur are the fighting games I watch out for. But I don't see either of them going in that direction. DoA has tried implimenting destructible arenas and open area fighting and stuff. But not to a huge degree. Its all pretty pre-set instead of like... small city :] Definitely go with something like Ninja Gaiden. Open area, intense battles (even against the little guys) and button mashing gets you dead so its all about skill. Easy enough to learn. Though that still gets you dead... You gotta really know what you're doing

The perfect fighting game was already created with Ballz, The Ballziest Fighting Game Around.

But your suggestions are also good. I don't play enough fighting games to really wrap a rant around it. The one major complaint I do have is they need more method and less memorization. I hate looking at this huge combo list; it depresses me. Virtua Fighter 5's combo list was so huge my shorts caught on fire just viewing it. But that's really my problem, isn't it?
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 02-15-2008 at 08:33 PM.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Update: No Life bars. your enemies will start to breathe heavy when their about to get knocked out and willrespond more slowly This time I'm really gone see ya til I see ya.
    That would be great - it'd add a lot of extra realism. It's always bugged me that a video game fighter can be pummeled to within an inch of his life yet still fight at full strength and precision, even if he's so far gone that a single stomp to the foot will knock him unconscious.

Good point. But I don't like the handicap you'd get. There needs to be a despiration clause of some sort

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Good point. But I don't like the handicap you'd get. There needs to be a despiration clause of some sort
    Adrenaline surge as the body nears its limits of tolerance? That'd mean greater strength, which would help to compensate for the loss of co-ordination. Temporarily, at least.

*yawn*

I like Mortal Kombat, Armageddon specifically. It's always fun to rip out peoples guts and kidneys and spinal cords and what have you.

Citrus Fruits
    Y SO SRS ?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well JK beat me to it... SF doesn't evolve much but damn does it leap when it does. Course my opinion is that if you are going to spot a top tier 2D fighter then Guilty Gear should be your choice.

As for cinematics, I feel it would get in the way of gameplay, simple tweaks like specific reactions to attacking (something they are trying to implement into SFIV btw) is the way to go. Though when it comes to intense epic battles in a fighting game, it only takes having two people who are good at the games playing against each other to bring that phenomenon. Some of the best fights I see are at tournaments or when I face off with my hardcore gaming friends. I have "old war" stories involving battles I had in SFA3, SCII, MvC, GGXX, and GG Isuka Though I do give GG props for making even noobs feel like they did something impressive.

Of anything, I wish I could see a 3D fighter with speed and not so wanky hit detection, but I'm apparently spoiled on 2D fighters.

If I'm impressed with anything lately, its the quality in Liscensed fighters. Naruto: Ultimate Ninja, Bleach: Shattered Blade, and the aforementioned DBZ are all actually well made and surprisingly deep when you start to get a few friends around to play them.