Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Videogame item usage habit!

Default Videogame item usage habit!

Straight to the point:

I never dare to use (rare) items. It's a nasty habit. It makes games a whole lot harder and it proves I'm secretly a cheap-***.

Some examples;

In pretty much every FF, I finish the game with tons of mega-potions, x-potions, mega-phoenix and what not unused.

In the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, whenever I find a rare enchanted weapon I tend to keep in a safe place until the time comes when I really need it. After a couple hours more into the game I find much more powerful weapons, making the others (which didn't want to "waste" for some reason) useless (thus, wasting them, irony anyone?).

Action games suffer from this aswell. Rare guns in shooters, money in pretty much every game, special techniques, i hardly ever dare to use stuff like that because I guess I'm affraid of wasting them.

I want to break this habit!

Anyone else have the same thing going on?

Yep, that's pretty much exactly how I've always been about games. Don't fight it, just give in.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm the exact same way as well.

Me as well. I hate using items, 'cause I'm always worried about how hard they'll be to replace.

I also hate ammo systems, which leads me to avoid most FPS games.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

HA, I'm far worse

In a game like fire emblem, when you're suppose to start using steel, then silver, then the rare weapons. Until that last chapter... I tend to just keep using iron weapons. I guess this makes me weaker, but I rarely have many problems. I also never use the master seals to upgrade a unit, and always have them level naturally UNLESS they can only heal pre-promoted.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

I'm that way with rare items, but rare gear I tend to equip right away, it's rare for a reason. After I find something better, I hold onto it, unless I've no reason to. Or, if there is a limited item quantity you can hold onto, most MMO's for instance, I either sell it or but it in some form of bank/warehouse.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

I only really equip gear if it is better than what I've got, but I'll use it when I can. Similarly I'll use items when I really need it. Money, however, is a different matter. I refuse to spend all my money in shops, I always have to have a ton of it and then spend as little as possible and sell everything I don't need anymore to get some back.

Dude, I'm even like that with MP. The concept of having a black mage in my party is utterly wasted on me, because I will NEVER do anything that consumes MP. Unless it's a healer, but even then I'd rather have my people croak than use an ether.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I'm kind of like that, but if I'm about to die. I'm going to chuck all those Soma/Megalixers what ever. Items do you no good if your dead. And I chuck like crazy at final bosses, or at least I use too before Game+ became so common place.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I'm like that too. For example, I have never once used a TM in a Pokemon game. I only use HMs because you have to.in order to progress. I tend to shy away from healing items and offensive items in RPGs as well, preferring to stick to a character's abilities. Probably why it's taking me so long to finish some of them

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I use lots of rare items in the final battle, or close to the final battle. I think I threw a Masamune at Kefka :p
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Me too.

I get scared that if I waste it now, I'll need it later. So I end up not using it at all.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Heh. You guys have mentioned a lot of other things that I also do.

I'm very stingy with MP, causing me to use physical attacks far more than magic in most games.

In Fire Emblem games, I also stay away from the more costly weapons, usually just using whatever normal weapons the enemies drop (I almost never use the special effect weapons, since they count as rare items) and not buying any new weapons unless I have no choice, and then I usually pick up the iron weapons that last forever.

I'm a tightwad when it comes to cash in most games, treating it like I do most items. Unless there are shop-only items, I won't buy things from shops.

And, like JKTrix, I never use TMs in Pokemon games. Since HMs last forever, I don't mind using them, but I get other problems. Since Pokemon can only learn four moves I go absolutely insane trying to figure out which four I should give them. Another limitation problem, but of a slightly different type.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

In Resident Evil games I use the handgun for a large portion of the game, and for the rest I use the shotgun! I never get to use all the cool guns. :/ just saving up for the big bad guy who almost always turns out to be a wuss, or that you don't need a big gun to finish him off, and instead have to rely on timing and shoot on certain devices to indirectly kill it! Whoever's finished the games knows what kinds of bosses I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    In Fire Emblem games, I also stay away from the more costly weapons, usually just using whatever normal weapons the enemies drop (I almost never use the special effect weapons, since they count as rare items) and not buying any new weapons unless I have no choice, and then I usually pick up the iron weapons that last forever.
    I just started actually trying to play Radiant Dawn recently, which has third tier classes, new weapons, new basically everything. And I'm sitting here thinking... what happened to my Fire Emblem. I'm actually kinda disappointed in how much they added, and how much more complex they made it. I don't want to HAVE to use a Master Seal if I ever want a unit to reach it's third tier class. I was also the type to only use characters I figured I'd use at the end of the game, but I can't even choose to do that!

UGH, I'm not even sure I want to finish this game anymore. And it's all because of simple things like not wasting good items or experience.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9