Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lost Odyssey

I made some good progress today, A couple hours into disc 2 now. Really loving it at this point.

I'm happy to see people are enjoying it. I'm going to buy it when I get my 360 at the end of the month.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I've not been playing for very long, but it's freaking awesome.

Edit: I just logged a ridiculous amount of play time. The boss at the (SPOILER)Grand Staff gave me a little bit of trouble. I just had to go back and teach everyone in my party the anti-paralysis ability, then it was a piece of cake. Otherwise, I'm not finding the game too particularly difficult this far.

A Thousand Years of Dreams is perhaps one of the most awesome things ever.
    Last edited by Ouch!; 02-17-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    I've not been playing for very long, but it's freaking awesome.

Edit: I just logged a ridiculous amount of play time. The boss at the (SPOILER)Grand Staff gave me a little bit of trouble. I just had to go back and teach everyone in my party the anti-paralysis ability, then it was a piece of cake. Otherwise, I'm not finding the game too particularly difficult this far.

A Thousand Years of Dreams is perhaps one of the most awesome things ever.
    Its pretty amazing that people are willing to read short stories on a video game.

Anyway I finally beat the first boss, but I just got back from the Big XII Black Student conference so I didn't get to play at all this weekend and I gotta get ready for an exam. Wish me luck and by Friday I'll be on LO!!!

It has one of the most intriguing storylines I have read in a long, long time. The characters are fairly well done, as is everything else in the entire game. It is incredibly depressing at the same time though, which is a really nice touch. Makes you feel apart of the game and whatnot.

I just got to the end of disc 1, which is where it hits with you a nice little "OH HEY CRY TIME NOW" part.

The bosses are somewhat difficult, yes, until you figure out the right strategies. The first boss gave me some trouble until you figure out that he has a pretty serious weakness and you can exploit it like nobodies business to toss him a sack of hurt. The boss that Ouch! talked about was also somewhat difficult, but it was mostly about outlasting him and making sure he couldn't hit you with his dumb attacks.

The third boss (I believe, whatever number the end of Disc 1 boss is) is really cool, too. It is also a nice break from the difficulties as it is really just a patience fight.

Overall, I am extremely impressed with the game as a whole. Brings me back into the console field.

Note: All fanboying could be attributed to having played Enchanted Arms directly before playing Lost Odyssey. Enchanted Arms is horrible in almost ever aspect (save Golems).

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

I've logged nineteen hours this weekend. The game continues to blow me away. I maintain that A Thousand Years of Dreams is one of the most amazing things in a video game ever.

Shigematsu's stories transcend video games.

Those who wrote off Lost Odyssey as a typical JRPG that brought nothing new to the genre were looking in all the wrong places.

I'm loving every minute of this game so far. The characters, the story, and even the battle system. I don't mind the difficult boss battles at all. It gives you a better feeling when they finally go down.

A Thousand Years of Dreams... those things make me so depressed after reading them, but I don't regret it for a minute. The stories are just so beautiful. And Jansen manages to cheer me back up right after one of them anyway. No thanks to Mr. Chuckles.

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    Shigematsu's stories transcend video games.

Those who wrote off Lost Odyssey as a typical JRPG that brought nothing new to the genre were looking in all the wrong places.
    I still believe this game will receive mad amounts of hate for no real reason, and mostly from people who own a PS3, or has a xbox360 and is a halo fan(and trust me not all FPS gamers are Halo gamers/fans. Halo is something else. Plus in the world of FPS Halo is really 2nd rate), and most likely has never even played the game. Or has played it, but expected it to only be 20 hours of gameplay at the most.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by nozkits View Post
    Or has played it, but expected it to only be 20 hours of gameplay at the most.
    My friend came in after I'd played ten hours and asked me if I'd beaten it yet. He was dead serious.

Edit: I've just beaten the third disc. I continue to be blown away by this game.
    Last edited by Ouch!; 02-19-2008 at 05:31 AM.

I hit disc three earlier today.

I'm convinced that shadow is the most broken spell in the game. When you've got a back row of 3+ characters using it one after the other every turn, almost no group stands a chance. I swear I plowed through 80% of the encounters on disc 2 with that one spell and some front row physical attacks thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    I hit disc three earlier today.

I'm convinced that shadow is the most broken spell in the game. When you've got a back row of 3+ characters using it one after the other every turn, almost no group stands a chance. I swear I plowed through 80% of the encounters on disc 2 with that one spell and some front row physical attacks thrown in.
    how are you progressing through the game so quickly. I mean I was at a conference the entire week last week and then I have test this week. I'm only at the worm boss on the first disc, and I have to do some back tracking so I can beat this boss.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I would love to play this game since it's made by tow of my favorite game developers Sakaguchi and composer Uematsu, but it's for the curse word and I'm wondering why has Sakaguchi decided to make his games exclusively for the 360, especially with the game being on four discs which on PS3 it it would have only been on one.

I finally got the game. I'm only just past the first boss, but I'm really enjoying it. I didn't find the first boss very hard, really. I died the first time, then went in the second knowing exactly what to do. I figure these bosses are like the Digital Devil Saga bosses: Die once, figure out what skills to set, go in and rule the world.

What is all the reports of "Slow story at the start that's not that interesting"? I found this game totally enthralling from second one of cutscene one.

The gameplay is basic but still very fun. I'm liking this game more than I even expected, and I did, on some level, expect to enjoy it. The loading times were a worry for me, and they are bad but not as bad as I thought. And besides, with the sprint button and the very well spaced random encounters, it all adds to about the same sitting around as most RPGs.

How Blue Dragon scored a higher accumulated score on Metacritic and higher score in Famitsu is quite frankly bewildering.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah I got no idea how Blue Dragon outscored LO, it just makes absolutely no sense to me.

The amount of people blasting through this game so quickly makes me worry that it's going to be a lot shorter than I anticipated, so I hope that's just more to do with people investing a lot of time into the game rather than it not being very long.