Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lost Odyssey

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator

It's really nice to see some quality Uematsu music again. He has a wonderful way of transporting you right into the game. He remains one of the few artists in the video game genre in which I actually buy the OST's, rip them to my ipod and listen to them sprinkled into my regular rotation. Then when one of his songs pop up, I'm instantly reminded of where and when I heard it. Seriously wonderful stuff.

Oh, and the game is progressing nicely too

I'm at the last dungeon Unfortunately I have no sense of direction and I'm running around in circles for literal hours. This is the most annoying thing this side of Xenogears.

Hehe! I bought a Xbox 360 last August for Blue Dragon and for Lost Odyssey. Before I got the Xbox 360 though I had decided that I wasn't as interested in Blue Dragon so I'd rent it and see how it was. I rented it and didn't like it. I was still interested in Lost Odyssey, but my interest went down a bit after playing Blue Dragon, and I also read a bad review of the Japanese version that talked about bugs and stuff. My interest has increased for this game in recent weeks though. Too bad I sold my Xbox 360 in November to buy a Nintendo DS for Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. I did end up beating Eternal Sonata for Xbox 360 though.

Maybe later this year I'll get a Xbox 360 again, not sure though, I'm trying to focus less on rpg's.

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy Tactics(PSP), Warcraft 3, and I'll play Alundra 1 and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 next. I'm waiting for Starcraft, plus I'm also waiting for FF XIII, FF Versus XIII, and FF Agito Xiii.
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

my brother just rang me about this game raving that its FFVII lol but iv just had a gander at some gameplay on zee me tube! and it kinda has a XIIish battle system......i kinda wanna play it tho because it reeks of square-enix with the corners shaved off ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Garnie View Post
    my brother just rang me about this game raving that its FFVII lol but iv just had a gander at some gameplay on zee me tube! and it kinda has a XIIish battle system......i kinda wanna play it tho because it reeks of square-enix with the corners shaved off ^^
    The guy who made it might've made other Final Fantasy's, but wasn't even involved in the creation of XII. The battle system is nothing like XII though I did like it.
    LO is nothing like XII stop being superficial and play the game.

I beat it today I will tell you the ending is satisfying and awesome. It's not perfect, but overall I think it was pretty good. It's not quite the Final Fantasy XI that never happened, but it can be Final Fantasy's little brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnie View Post
    Gameplay is completely different. Lost Odyssey has Turn Based system, while XII has a Real Time battle system.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

I'm in the middle of disc 2. I found a place called the Numara Atoll where I can pretty much power level my characters to like 48. I'm enjoying myself. The interactions between the characters and the cutscenes are very fluid, it's fantastic. The overall game is by no means anything special or innovative, but it's fun to play.

Just got this game on Friday, and I'm still on disc one (hey, I have exams, gimme a break!) but so far I'm engrossed. The graphics are class, story so far, riveting and (SPOILER)Seth and Ming are hot. What else could I want? This is by far the best RPG I've played in recent times. (Besides FF of course.)

Great Game.. Forgot How Much I Loved Turn-Based RPG Games

Currently On Disc 2.. Addicted 2 It!!
    PREPARE FOR ODINS RAGE:magus:

Big Thanks To Jess For This Sig

I completed it today. I also did a lot of sidequests, and maxed out all my mortals. I have 27 out of 36 achievements (850/1000). I pretty much only need to max my immortals, and get the treasure trove acheivement and the spells. Both of which I would need to complete the Temple of Enlightenment for, as I only need one Spirit Magic spell, and it's in there. I hate that place though :/.

Anyways, I talk about my views on Lost Odyssey in my LJ (see signature). My gamercard is also in my sig, if you want to see what achievements I have.

I'm currently on Disc 3 of the game and am enjoying it well enough. I've grown out of traditional RPGs on the whole a lot recently, so it's no surprise that I'm finding myself taking very frequent breaks. The combat is enjoyable, but in traditional RPG fashion has a bit too much filler to keep me consistently engaged.

The primary thing that keeps me coming back is the story, however, and that's what I bought the game for. The Dream sequences are some of the most poignant and absorbing literary works I've encountered through any medium and they simply cannot be praised enough. The main storyline is very "Final Fantasy", which is either good or bad depending on your tastes, but I'm personally enjoying it. It's reminding me of Final Fantasy X a lot, but with even greater and more detailed character interactions and wittier dialogue. Jansen is the funniest thing since Joachim in Shadow Hearts: Covenant!

The overall game mechanics are essentially a blending of the best elements of FFVI, VIII, IX, and X, and though it lacks some polish in certain spots the whole effect is addictive and responsive enough. One aspect that deserves praise is that even though the exploration segments are standard, pulled-back camera, linear affair (as opposed to the likes of Panzer Dragoon Saga or Skies of Arcadia's more adventure game-esque exploration), they have an absolutely insane degree of interaction. It seems as though items are tucked into literally everything, and aside from the occasional pot and chest the game still, even on Disc 3, manages to come up with a new thing for every town and dungeon. I still can't get over peeling back posters for items, though! XD That was just too cool.

The music, of course, deserves much praise. As far as I'm concerned, this is uncontestedly Uematsu's greatest work. The Dreams are made that much more powerful by the incredible music selection and use of sound to punctuate certain moments.

Overall, my complaints with the game are few. As far as I'm concerned, this is the Final Fantasy I grew up with. The professional reviews are right in saying that the game lacks originality, because it does as far as its mechanics are concerned. But in this case, it's not really so much a flaw. Even though I've grown out of the more conventional FF-style of RPGs, I have a lot of history with them, and this game is "Final Fantasy" in all but name. It has all of their flaws, but at the same time possesses all of their strengths and even comes in with a few of its own unique strengths (dear god, the Dreams are just wonderful). I'd wager so far, unless the game suddenly took a dramatic and unexpected dive in quality on Disc 4, the game will most likely earn a rock-solid 8/10 from me.
    Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I finally picked the game up again. I'd stopped playing at the beginning of disc four when I started getting slaughtered by random encounters. Only last night did I realize that the place I went to was not actually part of the main quest, but rather a side quest. I could probably power level past level 50 in that place. xD

Just finished LO not 2 hours ago. Seriously, what an amazing game. I'm probably gonna get beaten up for saying this, but its sooooo much better than FF12. Sure, FF12 had new ideas, a different battle method, but LO has such a better story (not to mention the dreams/memories), and for me, its all about the story.

I would definitely like to see a Lost Odyssey 2 in the future. I'd buy it in a second, no matter what reviews it gets. The only problem I had with LO, was that I beat the final boss on level 58 and I only leveled up for about half an hour in (SPOILER)The Temple of Enlightenment. The boss was too simple. The only time a character got knocked out was when I got hit with a Death spell. It goes a bit FFX-ish, like when after a while you can beat Braska's Final Aeon in a measly 2 hits.

Also, the game is a bit short. I think I beat it in about 45-50 hours. A lot of this time was spent on side-quests, but not all my side-quests are finished yet. Although, the fact that it kept me coming back for that length of time is surely something to be noted.

But all this aside, LO is still an extremely worthy addition to Mr. Sakaguchis arsenal of Famous RPGs. By far, its better than FF12 (my opinion). But in a sense, I'm glad its not a FF. It doesn't have the same feel as an FF, and yet not quite the feel of the Shadow Hearts series. (But as Alucard von Elru said, Jansen has the same kind of humour as Joachim, but Jansen is sooooo much funnier.) It has a completely different feel and it has certainly carved its own little niche in the big bad world of RPGs. Hopefully, it will continue and expand this niche. Now, where's my Xbox controller.........

I love this game, i'm on disc four, and i can't get enough. Hironobu Sakaguchi has really outdone himself. im sorry for this, but i think its much better than any final fantasy game
    Those trapped in the darkness often grow weary of solitude. But when they finally escape, most realize that they miss the serene, peacefulness of the dark.