Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No More Heroes

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Behold the Void's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Reiji Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
    I heard this game was pretty average and it's just the fanboys trying to grasp at straws who are making a big deal of it.
    I saw a great deal of it, if you enjoy that particular brand of humor, you'll likely enjoy the game immensely. The control system seems pretty decent too. I thought it was entertaining, but it seems to lack replay value.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I heard this game was pretty average and it's just the fanboys trying to grasp at straws who are making a big deal of it.
    This if the first product I've played by Grasshopper Manufacture. And having no bias there, I can say with utmost conviction that the game is amazing in the fun of its gameplay and the sheer entertainment of its presentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void View Post
    I thought it was entertaining, but it seems to lack replay value.
    Once you beat the game for the first time, a fully functional New Game + mode becomes available. And since you're likely to finish upgrading your stats by the end of the game, additional playthroughs reduce the already brisk game structure to its most basic aspects, which are the joy of combat and the lasting appeal of the characters and plot. You're also given the opportunity to acquire items that unlock high-quality concept art and character profiles. All together, that's pretty much the definition of replay value.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Behold the Void's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Reiji Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    This if the first product I've played by Grasshopper Manufacture. And having no bias there, I can say with utmost conviction that the game is amazing in the fun of its gameplay and the sheer entertainment of its presentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void View Post
    I thought it was entertaining, but it seems to lack replay value.
    Once you beat the game for the first time, a fully functional New Game + mode becomes available. And since you're likely to finish upgrading your stats by the end of the game, additional playthroughs reduce the already brisk game structure to its most basic aspects, which are the joy of combat and the lasting appeal of the characters and plot. You're also given the opportunity to acquire items that unlock high-quality concept art and character profiles. All together, that's pretty much the definition of replay value.
    I was thinking more in terms of the story, having seen it already. The jobs seem to bog you down more than a little.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I addressed the story. To give an example, I reloaded my endgame save and played through the Real Ending roughly five times after I first beat the game, because it's just that good. I'm now about halfway through my second playthrough, and the writing remains just as amusing as it was the first time.

As for the jobs, they generally serve to mix up the gameplay in interesting ways, making clever use of the Wii's motion controls. And even if you think they're a pain, none of them last for more than a minute or two, and they're a total non-issue in New Game +.

The combat system seems really shallow at first, but there are a lot of little tricks and things to learn, like dodging, countering, and whatever the hell happens when you shake the Wiimote when it slows down for a killing blow.

@ BtV: This isn't an RPG. :P Screw the story.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, the main complaint I've heard is that the sandbox city thing feels devoid of life and everything in between the missions is boring.

Everything in between the missions isn't boring, though. The Assassination sub-missions are pretty much the same as the levels leading up to bosses, and the part time jobs are fun little distractions.

The overworld could be better, though. It's true that not a lot happens outside of missions and jobs. By the time it gets old, though, you don't have to spend much time wandering around anyway.

My only complaint is the game isn't very long.

I mean, I got lost quite a bit, (It took me a while to notice the symbols on the minimap,) And I beat the game in around 15 hours.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I do not like these types of games; however, a friend of mine recently purchased it, and I like the soundtrack and certain elements of the storyline.

I think that this game could have been presented a little better from a marketing standpoint because I have only heard mostly the quirky things about the game and not the positive things that users, such as Kawaii Ryűkishi, have pointed out.
    I believe in the power of humanity.