Thread: Patapon

Default Patapon

Ok, so this game hasnt been released yet but somebody sneakily leaked it onto the internet already so im sure alot of people with PSP's are enjoying this game........as well as me. This game has been pretty under the radar from what ive seen. Despite getting some pretty good reviews already it seems no ones really talking about the game. A shame because this is easily one of the best PSP titles to be released.....well ever I suppose.

So im not really a big fan of rhythem games but this game does a good job of juggling some action, rhythem gameplay and some light RPG strategy elements. It also looks nice with its cool artstyle (I believe these people made Loco roco as well so im not surprised). I also love the atmosphere and vibe you get from this game. Your goal to help these weird creatures, who see you as their God, by helping them kill other animals to eat or defend themselves from neighbouring tribes. Theres something cool about the way these....things speak to you. It seems every sentence has them praising you in some sort of way. What suck ups. But being called Lord Dreddz never gets on my nerves.

So anyway, if people dont have a clue about what im talking about then let me explain. You are baisically God and you guide these weird eye shaped things with drums that are given to you. You end up having to learn various drum combinations to tell them to walk or attack etc. Long hours of play do start to strain your thumb but its worth it.

If you own a PSP then dont hesistate to get this game. Definately one of the more original and unique titles on the system.
    Last edited by Dreddz; 02-19-2008 at 11:35 PM.

Really excited for Patapon. I have played through the demo multiple times, and I'm eagerly awaiting the official release later this month.
    Last edited by Necronopticous; 02-20-2008 at 03:48 AM.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

It was actually released in Europe before the US. This is a game I've been waiting to buy. The general idea is the same as Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan on the DS (music makes things happen), in Patapon your music has a much more direct affect on what happens.

While Patapon's gameplay is centred on the rhythm, it seems to be more of a strategy game. You have different drum commands for different actions, you customize what troops to send out on the missions, you customize the equipment that the troops wear..it's a lot more than what it might appear to be at first glance.

In Bermuda, we something called Gombeys. Gombeys are people who dance around in colourful costumes to drum beats. It's a huge part of our culture. I think, if people actually had PSPs, they would be very interested in Patapon because of our heritage. I'm gonna educate my local game-seller this week.

Youtube video of a Gombey in Bermuda. They usually perform in groups.

I am not a Gombey.

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    That's so rad.

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not before I've beaten Parappa The Rapper, which looks pretty short though. (Don't go telling me there are better and more modern rhythm games, I know. It's just that I've been wanting to play it since its Playstation times, which makes it eleven years straight.)
    I've read an interview to the developers of Patapon somewhere, and it does look very promising even just from the concept. I didn't figure out that gameplay would influence the story though.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

This game rocks! I just bought it yesterday when my university break started. Its really fun and is definitely a challenge too. Im hooked!
    Its got style
    Its got rythm
    Its got strategic thinking
    Its got a semi-levelling system (gathering materials and money to create different Patapons)
    And its got charm.

Yes, I just obtained this game for my PSP and it is so awesome.

Pata pata pata pon! Pon pon pata pon...

Spank their bottoms!

Edit: PSP needs more intuitive games like this! Seriously, no more riiiiidddggeee raaaaccceer!

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."