Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Decline of Hip Hop

I KNOW WHO HE IS! DON'T TALK DOWN TO ME!

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

I wasn't aware he'd infected so far. I am deeply sorry that you have had to experience Norton.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

My opinions of hip-hop and rap are congruent to that of 90% of this forum's opinion of screamo--I don't like rap or hip-hop. However, I listened to some of the songs Bert told me to listen to and I didn't hate them.

However, the mainstream rap (or mainstream ANYTHING for that matter) is an absolute assault on my ears. If I ever meet that Soulja Boy, I'm going to throttle him.

I don't know much about hip-hop, but I agree with Hsu on the music industry at large. You can take the initiative and find some stuff with substance, but it's still quite sad you have to search for it rather than hear it. But any song that isn't completely generic with lyrics you don't have to pay attention to (and laugh if you happen to) won't make it anymore.

And that's why I took a bat to my radio long ago

I can't think of any genre of any kind of media that doesn't require some digging around in order to find the good, original material that genre has to offer.

I also can't think of any genre of any kind of media that doesn't have some good, original material to be found, given you've dug around in it enough.

There has been some amazing hip-hop records in the last five years. I can't imagine where some of you guys get off calling an entire genre of music awful because you don't understand it. Get real.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    Ears that hear what's forced into them by the mainstream and assume everything in a genre is dire.
    The stuff I'm forced to listen to is stu's collection, and while better than what the kids back home and here blast at dances, it still isn't very listenable

(by better I mean it doesn't make me cringe to sit through)

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Schovitz View Post
    I wonder why there hasn't been a white girl rapper yet.
    You just had to make me do it.
    I hesitate to mention Lady Sovereign, because I think she's cute and has some genuinely well-done songs (9 to 5, Public Warning (she shows off her flow in this one pretty good), Hoodie), but I know a lot of people find her to be annoying.

One of the things I find most annoying about white rappers is when they try and pull off the self-aware ghetto act. Yeah, okay, you're white and trying to be ghetto and showing off how not-ghetto you are. It's an overplayed schtick.

That said, I like some stuff from the nerdcore scene. I say some, because anymore the scene is flooded with guys with beating-the-dead-horse-to-a-pulp beats ("hey here's an NES chiptune with a ty beat AWESOME") and lyrics that're just trying to hard. mc chris started to distance himself from the community, and it makes sense - nerdcore has never been about throwing a million references in your face to prove your "cred," it's about your life, like any kind of rap.

That got kind of tangential, but I guess the point is that white guy rappers can be good when they take their art seriously, even if they don't take themselves seriously. Unfortunately they usually take everything to be part of the gag, which leads to a lot of stupid schtick-y youtube videos.

A Lyrical Storm Is Coming TyphoonThaReapa's Avatar

First of all, I will like to say this. Everybody seem to have their own opinions why Hip Hop or Rap is "Declining". Well, I'll be the first to say that Hip Hop and Rap is bigger than it ever has been. Now, before people began to write me back saying I'm insane, I grantee you that it is bigger. But, I'll also say that the has become with it has become for more wrong than right.

Secondly, for the people that does think Hip Hop and/or Rap is "Declining", the blame for your thoughts falls on the shoulders of many different sources. There's the Record Companies doing what they do best, which is make money even if it mean spreading hate and ignorance. There's the actually Artist who goes through with it all despite being robbed from their own literacy, and responsibility; not to mention the fact that most of them does those things willingly. And there's the listeners who gives these people reason to do what they do simply by turning on the radio and buying a CD.

Third of all, on a personal level, I've have already told lots of people here that I don't listen to the radio and I only listen to Hip Hop and Rap from the early 90s and other well selected songs from the 90s on up to now. But just because I don't listen to certain songs doesn't give them the right to not exist. And this doesn't just apply to me. So what if you and I don't like the music? It's pretty simple to turn the radio off.

Last, but not least, as many Rappers and Hip Hop artist has already said, Hip Hop and Rap are here forever. Just like Rock, R&B, or any other genre, music is FOREVER no matter how good or bad it is, words in melody cannot be destroyed.

But then again, it's just my opinion...:rolleyes2
    A'yo son, TTR WAS HERE!!!
    (SPOILER)BITCHES

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    There has been some amazing hip-hop records in the last five years. I can't imagine where some of you guys get off calling an entire genre of music awful because you don't understand it. Get real.
    Or maybe those "amazing hip-hop records in the last five years" aren't really all that amazing. Don't assume that just because someone hates hip hop it's because they don't know any better. I've had enough people try to prove to me that rap and hip hop don't suck and they've failed miserably.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Or maybe those "amazing hip-hop records in the last five years" aren't really all that amazing. Don't assume that just because someone hates hip hop it's because they don't know any better. I've had enough people try to prove to me that rap and hip hop don't suck and they've failed miserably.
    If you've reacted like this to every such attempt, there's a reason they've failed miserably beyond the quality of the music.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

But we should assume that because you hate hip hop that all of our opinions are invalid and that we don't understand what kind of music we should like?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    If you've reacted like this to every such attempt, there's a reason they've failed miserably beyond the quality of the music.
    Yeah, I hate rap/hip-hop, but the times that I really gave it a shot because someone told me to, I didn't HATE it, but I can't say I loved it. So-so. Mainly because it was substream and not the mainstream crap that is unfortunately so popular.

If you're going to assume that my opinions are invalid, there shouldn't be anything to stop me from doing the same.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you're going to assume that my opinions are invalid, there shouldn't be anything to stop me from doing the same.
    Except you're not stating things as opinions, you're trying to make them to be fact without any real argument to back them up.

Not liking rap is fine. When you come in and say that everything about it is awful and that the opinion of others are invalid because of what you think, that's where I think everyone who's fought you in this thread has a problem.

edit: Why am I arguing on the internet.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu View Post
    Except you're not stating things as opinions, you're trying to make them to be fact without any real argument to back them up.

Not liking rap is fine. When you come in and say that everything about it is awful and that the opinion of others are invalid because of what you think, that's where I think everyone who's fought you in this thread has a problem.

edit: Why am I arguing on the internet.