Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Decline of Hip Hop

Immortal Technique has a good song and Cypress Hill has some good songs, but it is my opinion that mainstream hip-hop does not deserve any respect. Every now and then I'll hear a good song on the radio but then I'll have to wait another half hour to listen to another good one.
    Hip-hop is in no way declining in the money it makes, it'll just never make me a fan in the course it's taking.
    But then again for those that are fans of the genre they have the internet if they want to listen to more than just the songs on the radio.
    Anon say I. Photobucket

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Bandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    But this isn't about whether hip hop sucks or not or if you like it. It's about the decline of creativity of Hip Hop

I can't say creativity has declined as long as this guy is still making music.
    I didn't say there's no creativity there's just more nonsense than creative stuff out there.
    But that's true of all musical genres, and you could say the same for all films. There's always probably going to be more mediocre/crap stuff out there than anything truly great or innovative.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Oh Man y'all had to make me go there. I agree that the media mainstream of hip hop is dying in creativity. I'm tired of people at my school mostly the freshman and sophmores that praise dumb artists like Soulja Boy. That dude is talentless if he deserves a record deal then i do because I have more talent in my pinky than that guy. If I ever meet him I'll throw off his stupid shades stomp on them and then punch him in the eye. I love this genre of music and hate none, but I just hate what these new generation of children are stuck with today. I believe what influences them most is because the industry's biggest targets are these teenagers and with these people are just naturally going to get attatched to what they're being brought up with by their own people and what their peers do. I try to influence my cousins not to fall in the bandwagon, but they don't listen to me. Most of these people don't even listen to the lyrics they sjust hear the tune and the refrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    I can't think of any genre of any kind of media that doesn't require some digging around in order to find the good, original material that genre has to offer.
    I can I believe R&B's mainstream has always been well rounded with good creative artists it's just that with R&B there are not as many of those songs produced as one might think considring that you know what R&B stands for there has to be some blues involve Keyshia Cole's I remember is an example from last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by breine
    There are several good Rap/Hip Hop artists out there. Some examples are: Missy Elliott, M.I.A., Snoop Dogg, Beastie Boys, Ludacris, Nas, Jay-Z, Kanye West (and Lauryn Hill if she was still active) etc.

Hip Hop was just generally better in the e.g. 80s and 90s, but there are still some very good Hip Hop music and such that's released these days. Don't let the terrible-ness of "artists" like e.g. Soulja Boy, Black Eyed Peas, Will.i.am, Akon, 50 Cent etc. destroy you're love for Hip Hop.
    No you can't be serious Missy Elliot's lyrics don't even make sense and Akon isn't a rapper he's a singer. The beastie Boys seem corny IMO

Wow, you people should listen to some T-Pain, his music is truly great.
    T-Pain isn't even a rapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Schovitz
    I wonder why there hasn't been a white girl rapper yet.
    There has
    I think she was actually good, but she didn't do too well.
    Quote Originally Posted by TyphoontheReapa
    First of all, I will like to say this. Everybody seem to have their own opinions why Hip Hop or Rap is "Declining". Well, I'll be the first to say that Hip Hop and Rap is bigger than it ever has been. Now, before people began to write me back saying I'm insane, I grantee you that it is bigger. But, I'll also say that the has become with it has become for more wrong than right.

Secondly, for the people that does think Hip Hop and/or Rap is "Declining", the blame for your thoughts falls on the shoulders of many different sources. There's the Record Companies doing what they do best, which is make money even if it mean spreading hate and ignorance. There's the actually Artist who goes through with it all despite being robbed from their own literacy, and responsibility; not to mention the fact that most of them does those things willingly. And there's the listeners who gives these people reason to do what they do simply by turning on the radio and buying a CD.

Third of all, on a personal level, I've have already told lots of people here that I don't listen to the radio and I only listen to Hip Hop and Rap from the early 90s and other well selected songs from the 90s on up to now. But just because I don't listen to certain songs doesn't give them the right to not exist. And this doesn't just apply to me. So what if you and I don't like the music? It's pretty simple to turn the radio off.

Last, but not least, as many Rappers and Hip Hop artist has already said, Hip Hop and Rap are here forever. Just like Rock, R&B, or any other genre, music is FOREVER no matter how good or bad it is, words in melody cannot be destroyed.

But then again, it's just my opinion...
    I agree with your argument that this genre and culture is going to stay for a while, but I disagree and I too mostly listen to just R&B, and Soul stations or old rap from the 80's and 90's., but as you can see mainstream hip hop's creativity has fallen. I wish I could meet Soulja Boy and Lil Mamam in real life and kill them on stage in the public in a freestyle battle, I embarass both of them so badly especially Soulja Boy. smurfing Superman dance and Yahhh. Who also makes songs on lipgloss and nursery rhymes!?

Y'all see what you made me do? post the longest post in this thread.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 02-23-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by breine
    There are several good Rap/Hip Hop artists out there. Some examples are: Missy Elliott, M.I.A., Snoop Dogg, Beastie Boys, Ludacris, Nas, Jay-Z, Kanye West (and Lauryn Hill if she was still active) etc.

Hip Hop was just generally better in the e.g. 80s and 90s, but there are still some very good Hip Hop music and such that's released these days. Don't let the terrible-ness of "artists" like e.g. Soulja Boy, Black Eyed Peas, Will.i.am, Akon, 50 Cent etc. destroy you're love for Hip Hop.
    No you can't be serious Missy Elliot's lyrics don't even make sense and Akon isn't a rapper he's a singer. The beastie Boys seem corny IMO.
    What doesn't make sense to you? - and while Akon may not be a rapper he does make "Hip Hop" music.

I'm fully aware T-Pain's not a rapper, where did I state he was? He produces songs which are sectioned under the Hip Hop category, that's why I mentioned him. Btw, a good rapper would probably be Snoop Dogg, he's slipped of lately with his current tunes but I still admire him for the lyrics he writes, their quite creative and interesting.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

A Lyrical Storm Is Coming TyphoonThaReapa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TyphoontheReapa
    First of all, I will like to say this. Everybody seem to have their own opinions why Hip Hop or Rap is "Declining". Well, I'll be the first to say that Hip Hop and Rap is bigger than it ever has been. Now, before people began to write me back saying I'm insane, I grantee you that it is bigger. But, I'll also say that the has become with it has become for more wrong than right.

Secondly, for the people that does think Hip Hop and/or Rap is "Declining", the blame for your thoughts falls on the shoulders of many different sources. There's the Record Companies doing what they do best, which is make money even if it mean spreading hate and ignorance. There's the actually Artist who goes through with it all despite being robbed from their own literacy, and responsibility; not to mention the fact that most of them does those things willingly. And there's the listeners who gives these people reason to do what they do simply by turning on the radio and buying a CD.

Third of all, on a personal level, I've have already told lots of people here that I don't listen to the radio and I only listen to Hip Hop and Rap from the early 90s and other well selected songs from the 90s on up to now. But just because I don't listen to certain songs doesn't give them the right to not exist. And this doesn't just apply to me. So what if you and I don't like the music? It's pretty simple to turn the radio off.

Last, but not least, as many Rappers and Hip Hop artist has already said, Hip Hop and Rap are here forever. Just like Rock, R&B, or any other genre, music is FOREVER no matter how good or bad it is, words in melody cannot be destroyed.

But then again, it's just my opinion...
    I agree with your argument that this genre and culture is going to stay for a while, but I disagree and I too mostly listen to just R&B, and Soul stations or old rap from the 80's and 90's., but as you can see mainstream hip hop's creativity has fallen. I wish I could meet Soulja Boy and Lil Mamam in real life and kill them on stage in the public in a freestyle battle, I embarass both of them so badly especially Soulja Boy. smurfing Superman dance and Yahhh. Who also makes songs on lipgloss and nursery rhymes!?
    Agreed, creativity has declined in today's Hip Hop/Rap. If I had the abilities to drop a CD, I believe I can bring something new to the scene. But, unfortunately, I'm in no such position. But I won't be for long. It's only a matter of time before I get my chance. But we all know that it takes more than one person or a hand full of people to make a genre of music good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    I'm fully aware T-Pain's not a rapper, where did I state he was? He produces songs which are sectioned under the Hip Hop category, that's why I mentioned him. Btw, a good rapper would probably be Snoop Dogg, he's slipped of lately with his current tunes but I still admire him for the lyrics he writes, their quite creative and interesting.

T-Pain sucks Hazzard...
    A'yo son, TTR WAS HERE!!!
    (SPOILER)BITCHES

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by nozkits View Post
    I just think the South has the most influence over mainstream hiphop today, and in the South. It's all about what you can dance to in the club. So yea it gets very superficial, and crappy.
    Nah, not really. Back in the 1990s it was all about the East and the West. And in the 2000s it's all about the East and South. But, I can agree with the dance thing. A lot of rap songs are about *insert new dumb made up dance here* now.

I hate most Hip hop I've heard. Though there are some good ones here and there.

One of my favorites is actually Biggie. :P

Personally, I think -all- the genres are going down hill.

For some reason it seems that originality has been lost in a mass amount of the genres. Not only in rap but in pop-esque songs too.

Granted there are trends and people who set and follow those trends, but when they are signed and able to make music, it -does- affect the music world.

Take all those new british laid-back female pop singers for example. While we may assume that's a trend now, who's to say that in another year the british laid-back female pop singer won't become the most "in thing", Much like Britney Spears and Christina Agulera were in the bubble-gum pop time in the 90's.

Now with that said, I can say that the only rap I've been able to tollerate are one's that I feel have a true real meaning to them. For some reason that ended up being horrorcore rap or gangster (not saying gangsta) rap.

I believe in this day and age that the over the top wanna-be rapper with a label is the equivilant to the british laid-back female pop singer. Some 17 year old sees the guy who sucks at rapping and thinks to himself, "you know I might not be the best rapper, but neither is he! It's like the standard was lowered!" thus he spends a year and a half becoming noticed and then ends up getting signed and we have -more- of the not so great rap.

Again, I think -all- genre's are in this horrid trend only phase and until someone can just like bust in and be awesome at everything the "trendy" musicians can't, then nothing will change.

If anything, raps at a neutral trying to experiment with things. Granted this will may bring like 70 more bad rappers but eventually someone will weed them out.

Hey! Must be the money!
    Anon say I. Photobucket

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I don't listen to much mainstream at all anymore, mostly for the reasons many people have mentioned. I'd say the only rap I'd listen to nowadays would be Jurassic 5, Ozomatli, & Blackalicious. It's disapointing I guess, but I guess it was inevidable a music genre so controversial & popular was going to gain much media attention. Ever since the late 90's Hip-Hop has been a circus. Why can't we have the likes of House of Pain back!
    Quote Originally Posted by DK
    Not to mention that Kanye is a great producer but an utterly mediocre MC, and Tupac was ridiculously overrated. Sure, he had some amazing tracks, but he has a fair amount of total drivel as well.
    Kanye West is greatly overrated. I believe Hip-Hop is crying out for a role model and Kanye seems to fit the bill because he passes as 'likeable', and thats why I believe he sells so many records. I didn't pay attention towards Kanye until I heard an interview from him about a year ago, and he goes on as if he's god-like. It's so annoying. His abilities are limited. He sounds , the guy can't really rap either, and some of his lyrics sound just silly.

Saying Tupac is overrated is a shame. Tupac is the greatest rapper without question IMO. Today's generation reflect on Tupacs more recent work released by Amaru under the influence of Shady/Aftermath's producion and OH MY GOD does it sound horrible. They string together a Tupac lyric and a 50 Cent beat and the result is just depressing. They don't mix, simple as. If people have listened to 2Pac's released work before 1998 and still hold the opinion that he's overrated, thats fine, but I think its disapointing that some people pass judgement on him when they don't really know his career-high work. The differances between Strictly For My N****Z & Loyal to the Game for example, are enormous.

Str8 Pimpin'

Yeah Kanye is a mediocre rapper, but he's a great producer. Him, Just Blaze, RZA, and Danger Mouse are the best mainstream producers today.

As for Tupac, I respect him, but I've always thought Biggie and Nas were better rappers. And that's just limiting it to rappers of his generation.
    What I've been listening to:

I'll echo 90% of the responses in the thread and say that mainstream is crap. I'm a fan of Kanye though, I thought his newest CD was brilliant. The songs that really got me hooked were the ones that didn't become singles though (Good Morning and Big Brother in particular).

I'm also (like 90% of the other posters here) a huge fan of the underground scene. Talib Kweli and The Cool Kids are both near the top of my list. I mean, Black Mags by The Cool Kids has to be one of the most intoxicating songs of the past few years for me.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    Maybe we should all turn and pick on DK, then, because of his assumption that I think the only hip hop music in the world is the on top 40 radio.
    Not at all. The fact is anyone who comes steaming into a thread about a genre of anything saying "it's all " is being a dumbass because there's clearly no way you've heard everything in the entire genre, so there's no way you can ever say it's dire with absolute certainty. Like Stu said, I don't care if you don't like hip hop or not. I'm not saying everyone has to like something in everything, 'cause that's retarded. But dismissing an entire genre as shiet, when you're apparently already biased against it anyway and coming in to threads made about said genre and acting like a condescending ass is just dumb.

IIRC your favourite band is the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I personally find them to be a completely overrated and mediocre band, but I'm not going to come into every thread about them moaning about them. People find value in things, and dismissing that is just a bit .
    You can be sure that if there was a Chili Peppers thread and the first thing you said was "The Chili Peppers suck" you can be damn sure the first post from me wouldn't be "Oh, Dan is just too ignorant to know that the Chili Peppers are awesome. He's obviously never heard any of their good music." Remember, your very first post in this thread was acting like a condescending ass.
    Suuuuure.

"Unique hip hop artist" is kind of an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    I mean, Black Mags by The Cool Kids has to be one of the most intoxicating songs of the past few years for me.
    God yes. I listen to the entirety of "Totally Flossed Out" almost every day. Can't wait 'til their first LP.
    What I've been listening to: