I've tried all of them.

GBA > SNES fan translation > PSX.

'Nuff said.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The GBA version. Though the Rom is my second choice. The PSX is my least favorite solely for its lousy translation and localization. I know Faris is a pirate but she can talk without saying "Argh" in every sentence people :rolleyes2 .

The GBA version has a better translation, localization, and maintains the originals difficulty. I have yet to attempt the secret dungeon but I have never heard anything bad about it. Though I agree that the four (or three in my case) job classes are not so great. If only cause I don't feel they were written in well and also cause they arrive so late in the game most of them are useless on arrival.

Granted Cannoneer and Gladiator are good but it takes extra effort so late in the game to reap there benefits and Oracle is just poorly designed. I have never gotten Necromancer though I've had it described as a Blue Mage on steroids. Despite this though, the rest of the game is amazing and easily worth the playthrough. It has a damn good plot, musical score, cast, and one of the best battle systems in the main series.

I have grown to like the PSX version's hokey-ness. Faris's faux-Scottish-stereotypical-pirate accent really ruins some dramatic moments, but it is good for lulz if you have already played through before.

Plus... I looooooove how the after-battle crawl says "YESSSSSSS" and how Exdeath is spelled X-Death. Those factors are just plain swank.