Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Default Tournesol vs. Masamune

After reading a couple of guides on how to get Tournesol, I decided I would put in the blood, sweat and tears on obtaining the greatest of great swords. Besides, who wouldn't want to wield the most powerful weapon in a game? After several hours over the course of several weekends(I only play 2-3 hours at a time) I managed to sell the right goods for The Sunflower to appear at the Bazaar and then handed over 600,000 gil to have my very own Tournesoul. I immediately headed out from Mt. Bur-Omisace with my new toy equipped to lay the smack down on some wolves.

I'll cut to the chase, I was severely disappointed by the damage output. Basch had a Genji Glove and Masamune equipped prior to obtaining Tournesol and was like a speed freak with the number of hits he was laying out and the total damage he was dealing. Equipped with Tournesol, he just couldn't match the damage he was dealing with Masamune.

So is there something great about Tournesol that I'm missing? My party makeup consists of Basch as a tank with Masamune, Vaan as support/stealing/misc with sword/shield and Ashe hanging out in back throwing magic around. Tournesol doesn't seem that great to me. I guess if you're someone that doesn't enjoy the challenge of bosses and don't want to fight Gilgamesh, or you enjoy item farming, then Tournesol is an alternative to obtaining a pretty sweet weapon, but anyway I look at it, Masamune is a better weapon than Tournesol, which surprised me.
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm currently on a playthrough trying to complete most of the non-story stuff in the game, but your analysis has convinced me that it's just not worth getting the tournesol. I got the zodiac spear, and will get the masamune and excalibur, other than that i'll keep balthier on guns and my mages with staves/rods/maces/whatever.

Banned

Masamune is one of the best weapons of the game because of its high multi-hit rate and Genji Glove's effect. However, the Tournesol is just plain stronger and will deal more damage than the Masamune in a single hit. It also has a decent multi-hit rate as well. Without Genji Glove, the Masamune will score multiple hits less often, and the Tournesol will be able to beat it in terms of damage.

I'm currently on a playthrough trying to complete most of the non-story stuff in the game, but your analysis has convinced me that it's just not worth getting the tournesol. I got the zodiac spear, and will get the masamune and excalibur, other than that i'll keep balthier on guns and my mages with staves/rods/maces/whatever.
    Tournesol may be somewhat weaker than the Zodiac Spear, but it has higher evasion and a higher multi-hit rate. In most situations, Excalibur is better than Tournesol because of its Holy Element, but Tournesol will still be better if the enemy is not weak to, or absorbs Holy. Particularly, Yiazmat.

The only reason why you shouldn't get Tournesol is if you don't want to bother with getting all the required loot. It's definitely worth it though.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah, never thought Tournesol was worth that much anyway.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PuPu View Post
    Masamune is one of the best weapons of the game because of its high multi-hit rate and Genji Glove's effect. However, the Tournesol is just plain stronger and will deal more damage than the Masamune in a single hit. It also has a decent multi-hit rate as well. Without Genji Glove, the Masamune will score multiple hits less often, and the Tournesol will be able to beat it in terms of damage.

Tournesol may be somewhat weaker than the Zodiac Spear, but it has higher evasion and a higher multi-hit rate. In most situations, Excalibur is better than Tournesol because of its Holy Element, but Tournesol will still be better if the enemy is not weak to, or absorbs Holy. Particularly, Yiazmat.

The only reason why you shouldn't get Tournesol is if you don't want to bother with getting all the required loot. It's definitely worth it though.
    Hmmmm... I guess I'll really have to weigh out the pros and cons of it, then.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I think that the Tournesol is meant for characters that do not have the optimal Masamune and Genji Glove combo. Masamune and Genji Glove is pretty much the best of the best, so it isn't fair to expect the Tournesol to be able to beat it —
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well I just finally purchased it... it wasn't that bad actually, going through to get all the items. The GameFAQs guide and video on youtube helped tremendously. Definately worth it. Probably not as good as the optimal Masa/Genji glove combo, but you're only going to have that on 1 person anyway. Again, it's not that bad if you know what you're doing, and have a little luck. I got a soul of thamasa from my first oversoul after getting the warmage's monograph. and i already sold one, so the high arcana needed wasn't a problem.

Tournesol is better than Masamune against stronger enemies (more specifically, ones with high defense). Also, you can have something else as an accessory.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Blog Entries

It has 10 less attack points than the Zodiac Spear, so in terms of damage in a single strike, it rivals it, although it is slightly slower regarding it's charging time.

I think if you have Zodiac Spear and Masamune + Genji Gloves, your party could decimate anything with an orange HP bar on Ivalice, and that Tournesol is something for those who "missed" Zodiac Spear (i.e. don't have the patience to wait out a 1/1000 chance). But hey, I've got Zodiac Spear and Masamune + Genji Gloves, and I've spent the last 4 in-game hours gathering the required loot for the Tournesol, so I'm hardly one to talk

I just like collecting things. =]

I actually like the tournesol, yet when you have a party running around with the zodiac spear, tournesol, excaliber, 2 masamune's, the scorpion hammer and then just a magic slinger... I would like to just find the loot you need for the ultima sword and the sagitarius bow but that's not going to well...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vaan1980 View Post
    I actually like the tournesol, yet when you have a party running around with the zodiac spear, tournesol, excaliber, 2 masamune's, the scorpion hammer and then just a magic slinger... I would like to just find the loot you need for the ultima sword and the sagitarius bow but that's not going to well...
    If you can get Tournesol and the second Masamune, it should be relatively easy for you to get Sagittarius and REALLY easy to get Ultima Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaan1980 View Post
    If you can get Tournesol and the second Masamune, it should be relatively easy for you to get Sagittarius and REALLY easy to get Ultima Blade

I agree but the Gnoma Entite or whatever that mob is you have to steal/kill to get it I can't ever hit the westersands when it's in a sandstorm... And that's the only loot i need for the ultima sword... And I just got the Sagittarius and kinda depressed on it.. I think it sucks royally!!

I loved the Tournesol. Consistently dished out max damage to most enemies and had a higher combo rate than the Zodiac Spear. I thought it was definitely worth the time and effort it took to get it.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From a personal standing point I think both are worth getting. I didnt get the Genji Glove on my first play through,the Zodiac spear or Excalibur & just restarted a new save and intend to get them all. I'm of the believe that having the most powerful type of all the weapons is a great idea gives great variety to you parties attacking ability. The value of a really powerful bow and the assassin arrows can be as good as the Tournesol on any given ocassion especially for example against the enemies in the Henne Mines near the final esper. Its all well and good to be kicking ass up close and personal with your enemies bu the combination of different weapon types in my party made the FFXII experience still draw me back after I finished the story.

i didn't use guide to play the game so i didn't know about the genji equipment gilgamesh had. so if you compare tournesol with masamune without the genji gloves, tournesol is better.