Bangai-O Spirits for the DS is going to be using a rather unusual method of transferring high scores, edited levels and gameplay footage. Somehow, it's going to pump out some noise that can either be saved onto a PC or transferred straight to another DS in order to trade these files, completely forgoing the Nintendo WiFi Connection.

This kinda reminds of good ol' dial-up (and even ol'er facsimile machines). If you picked up the phone while someone was on the internet, you could hear all the random noises going through the line. If I wanted to disconnect my dad from the internet so I could get on, I would pick up the phone and make a whole bunch of random noise in it, thus disrupting his connection. Those were the days. (God bless broadband and routers)

Anyway, Bangai-O. It's one of the Treasure shooters and the original versions of it were on the Dreamcast and N64 (though the N64 version didn't make it out of Japan). I've never played it, but some people who have seem to be really excited for the DS version. I was considering making it a future import, but it is going to be coming out in English not too long after the Japanese version (which comes out next month).

I've seen some videos of the DC/64 versions being played on YouTube, but I don't really understand what the hell was happening. Looks cool though. The DS version will apparently be a little more of a puzzle game. As mentioned before, it wil allow you to create and share custom levels and gameplay footage, as well as having 4-player simultaneous multiplayer (where the original versions were single player only).

Has anyone here played the first Bangai-O and can tell us what makes it so apparently awesome?