Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaming History 101

Roto skips the chance to force The Ocarina of Time on students?! =0 I find that game important because it was one of the first to use full 3-D really well. Mario 64 was no slouch either, but...

If I was to teach about full, free-roaming 3D, I think I'd use Mario 64, yeah. The first Zelda would get a mention for being the first game with a battery backed save system, doing away with passwords. Also for being a kick-ass, non-linear adventure game.

Since Roto explained his I want to explain mine! Which nobody will ever read xD

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (Atari 2600)
    I have the same reasoning. It encompasses a lot of lessons at once: bad franchise-based games, the industry utilizing names for profit, developers pressed to make a game in a short amount of time... They even mass-produced it to the point there were more copies than there were Ataris.

Super Mario Bros. (NES)
    Obviously this one is important. It's a platformer, it made gamers out of millions, it revitalized the industry's importance, etc.

Tetris (NES)
    Tetris is simple but effective. It really created its own genre. It's a game that works even now, but more than that this is my "casual game". It shows games don't have to be for hardcore teenies in their dark bedrooms, but for your grandma, too.

Mortal Kombat (SNES)
    Figured I should have a fighting game. I chose this one for the violence controversy, namely Sub-Zero's spine maneuver. I find this game an important step of changing how the industry was looked at. Oh, Jack, how you must love this one!

Resident Evil (PSX)
    Showed that games can be more than shooting or running side-to-side. This was a horror game! It is not the first of the survival-horror type (hi Alone in the Dark), but it did refine it into what it is. And when you got bit by a zombie more blood than 4 human bodies can even hold flies out, and that's always fun.

Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
    This game set a new standard for voice-acting and storytelling. Its cinematic direction and story -- through those unabashed amount of cutscenes -- showed that games can be every bit as epic as a movie. I find it very important to show that games are not all about "pew pew" noises and "shooting things". This game carries a strong political message and interesting characters as well as any other medium.

Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
    The game that was a damn book. Like or not, I would gamble this is the most famous RPG. Graphically it was amazing, including the CG movies (back then). It popularized a genre in the West, and that's gotta mean something.

Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)
    Well, what game isn't copying off the "sandbox" feel these days? Extremely controversial for letting you run people over, shoot cops, bang hookers, etc. And it got away with it all. This is like the "push the envelope" game.

The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (N64)
    It's heralded as one of the best of all time, and for good reason. It has a target lock-on system that was rather unique at the time and an Adventure formula that is still copied to this day.

Halo (Xbox)
    It's one of the highest selling franchises of all time with only 3 games under its belt. It started a craze and became synonymous with its console. Plus, I needed a first-person shooter.

I guess my students are SOL when it comes to racing games.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 03-01-2008 at 08:41 PM.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mario bros (NES)
    Zelda (NES)
    Mario Kart (SNES)
    FFVII (PSX)
    Doom (PC)
    Dune 2 (PC)
    Half life (PC)
    GTA 1&2 (PC)
    Halo (Xbox)
    Pokemon r/b/y (GB)

Blog Entries

I'd start off with Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. After this first lesson, the entire class will want to jump off a bridge, and I get the rest of the year to myself.

there was a picture here

In a random order:

Gran Turismo
    Tetris
    Super Mario Bros. (NES)
    Tomb Raider (PSX)
    Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
    Final Fantasy (NES)
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
    Tekken 3 (PSX)
    Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
    Halo (X-Box)
    ..and the 11th: Metroid Prime (GameCube)

Man, this was hard.

Articles
    Blog Entries

First
    1) Pong - something like a genesis
    2) Pac Man - showing the creativity that was alive even with limits compared to:
    3) ET - lack of creativity with limits

Second
    4) Super Mario Brothers - obviously, compared to
    5) Sonic - two very similar ideas, but almost completely different in presentation, arguably a good foundation for divering paths a game, and consoles, can take

6) Street Figher II - Improvement on the capabilities led to improvement upon all aspects, and possibly still the best overall fighting game.
    7) Mortal Kombat II - again, a comparison, and divergence, focusing more on novelty, but also noted for using live actors instead of illustrations, art direction, basically the other way of doing things again.

Third
    8) Mario 64 - arguably the advent of real 3d on a console, compared to
    9) Final Fantasy VII - the death of "few-buddies-n-a-garage" development teams. The birth of the camera as a storytelling tool, not just in videos. Its arguably what killed the cartridge.

To End:
    10) Half Life - I know people who called this the rebirth of PC-Gaming, others the rebirth of FPS. Also there especially for multiplayer aspects. With its graphics, gameplay, connectivity, it's basically where games are at right now, when taken in context to all the previous entries.

Honorable Mention: definately GTA III, that would be the 11th, but i think Half Life can do its job.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Ten games aren't enough. I'd just make multiple courses based on era, as with literature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    1. E.T. - The game that destroyed the leading video game company at the time, the game that nearly killed the entire video game industry
    This game is certainly evocative of the crash, but it alone didn't cause it.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only game anyone need ever play is clearly FFX.

ones that had huge effects, obviously if it's the first one, it'd be the first of the genre and their effects

-Pong(first popular)
    -ET (explained by people earlier)
    -Donkey Kong or Pacman (first huge arcade)
    -Super Mario Bros (first real system seller, and action/adventure)
    -Dragon Quest (first huge RPG)
    -Tetris (biggest puzzle game ever)
    -Wolfenstein 3D (started the huge FPS genre)
    -Myst (huge puzzle/exploration)
    -Command & Conquer (first big RTS)
    -Intellivision Baseball (couldn't think of a good sports one, but I remember loving this game)

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

*headsplode*

I can't think of any ten games, particularly not spanning all genres and generations. Maybe for RPGS, but...this is too great a task for me. I must concede. Away..!

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

1) Pong
    2) Space Invaders - Rise of Arcades
    3) ET - The point everyone credits as the turning point toward the market crash
    4) Super Mario Bros - Best selling game ever(40 million copies), characters and formula still exist today, was a great game that people still love to play and much more
    5) DooM II - Technological Achievements
    6) Quake - See DooM but for 3D
    7) Super Mario 64 - I view this as a precursor to many games. Grand Theft Auto III even. Mario 64 had open ended gameplay. You could just go into a world and do whatever. No real set path on how to beat the game. Many others tried to copy the success it had as well.
    8) Metal Gear Solid - Redefined what a game can be with presentation, story, graphics and more. This was further realized by its sequel Metal Gear Solid 2. Some would argue FFVII and I think it nailed the presentation but not on the story aspect or the way the graphics were utilized to tell the story. Not to mention that Metal Gear had much better localization(Noles Pole anyone?).
    9) Counter Strike - While not the first online multiplayer game, I think this is the one that brought online gaming out in a big way.
    10) Reserved for when someone finally does something monumental with the Wii.