Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing Sequels

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default Disappointing Sequels

Lately I've been playing a lot of Perfect Dark (N64) which has quickly become one of my favourite games and had the chance for a quick go on Perfect Dark Zero while at a friend's house the other day. While I'm not sure I played enough to really know if it was that disappointing (only played two levels on co-op), it was - at least - a bit of a let down for a first go.

Anyway, I'm sure we've all played a decent first game and had a sequel disappoint us, so which ones stand out for you as being particularly disappointing?
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Tetris 2

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tetris 2 sucked pretty hard.
    However, lately I'm playing Breath of Fire III. It's not really what I'd call disappointing, but I definitely expected better. It has to be said that the English translation ignored the existence of full stops and other nice punctuation marks and worsened the game more than it deserved.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Deus Ex 2 by a long, long, long, long, long, LONG margin.

Alundra 2 is the worst sequel ever! The first Alundra was such a good game, and then they went and ruined it with horrible 3D graphics, a stupid story and some terrible voiceover acting.. ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Maxx Power View Post
    Same but maybe deduct a long.

Actraiser II is another very disappointing title. Most disappointing sequels are still ok games but just couldnt match up to the original. Actraiser II on the other hand genuinly sucked alot. Maybe one of the most horrible games on the SNES. Strange seeing as it was still developed by Quintet.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    Alundra 2 is the worst sequel ever! The first Alundra was such a good game, and then they went and ruined it with horrible 3D graphics, a stupid story and some terrible voiceover acting.. ugh!
    I guess the joke's on me then. I played Alundra 2 a long time ago (like 7 years ago) and hated it, but I had never played the original, and I really don't intend to.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by KoShiatar View Post
    Tetris 2 sucked pretty hard.
    However, lately I'm playing Breath of Fire III. It's not really what I'd call disappointing, but I definitely expected better. It has to be said that the English translation ignored the existence of full stops and other nice punctuation marks and worsened the game more than it deserved.
    I have always felt that Breath of Fire II had a worse translation than Breath of Fire III.

I think I was slightly disappointed by Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria as a successor to Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. Since Valkyrie Profile 2 is a prequel and a sequel at the same time, in terms of storyline, it presents its ending in a confusing set of events by throwing in alternate dimensions and time travel.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Alundra 2 was still a good game if you could get past the controls and the cat with a key in its back.

For me, the absolute most disappointing sequel of all time is Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. The first game, Sands of Time, was a work of art and deserving of the Game of the Year awards it got. For Warrior Within, they decided to replace the cool Arabian/rock soundtrack with death metal, they gave the the sand creatures blood to make it more violent, they took away the female characters' clothes, they made the female enemies give off weird sexual grunts and one-liners, filled it to the brim with backtracking to increase the length, and didn't do any play testing at all. It was like the game developers wanted to piss in the faces of all of the fans of the first game.

Luckily, they fixed most of that stuff for the last game in the trilogy. But I can honestly say that the main reason I haven't replayed the whole trilogy in such a long time is because of the second game.

Devil May Cry 2 and Gran Turismo 2 are the first to come to mind.

I know lots of people who love GT2,but to me it felt that it didn't improve anything from the original.Instead i think the physics were much better in the first title (the cars in GT2 felt that they were moving on air).GT was a landmark for racing games and i was expecting maybe a bit too much for it's sequel.
    I don't remember much about DMC2 (thankfully),only that i was very bored when i was playing it,which was the complete opposite feeling of playing the original.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

FFX-2. Where FFX was quality work with its plot, game balance and system mechanics, FFX-2 decided to screw around with it and make it suck. The battle system was less than revolutionary, and the plot just made a bunch of gaping holes in what could conceivably be a well-crafted world.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really enjoyed Alundra 2. Just sayin'.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Maxx Power View Post
    It wasn't that bad.

Both BoF II and III were great games.

Though Lufia: The Legend Returns and Ruins of lore were a couple of the most disappointing sequels ever.