Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning

god disney milk all the films they make till theres nothing left lion king 1,2,3 and 101 dalmations ,1,2 in cartoon and in real life insead of makeing sequals they should make sum new films

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

I was referring only to people who posted in this thread and Disney's big-time animated films. Yeah - there are hundreds of movies attributed to Disney that aren't very good and several movies that are very good - but many of Disney's major animated films (prior to Pocahontas or whichever) are like gems. Disney doesn't make gems anymore, I think; that's why I say Disney lost its touch. =O

Put 'em together and what have you got? Bippity! Boppity! Boo! <3<3

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall banana View Post
    It doesn't look, sound, or feel like The Little Mermaid to me. =(

Disney lost its magic at some point after it released The Lion King.
    Mulan! ;_;

I'll probably see this against my better judgment. I'm sure it will ruin things, though.

And Enchanted was pretty awesome. Plus it had Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Judy Kuhn cameos ! I must admit the beginning really made me long for that 2-D goodness of my younger days. I'm excited for The Princess and the Frog to see what they do. I want more than just direct-to-video efforts~

Edit: Oh, and I think audiences have a lot to do with Disney's lack of magic pow. The stuff I grew up with became less and less profitable as time went on, replaced with 10 3-D movies a year and live action pop fluff like Hannah Montanna and Lizzie McGuire. It's probly hard to justify spending tons of money and imaginative work on an animated musical when kiddles prefer to see generic crap.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 03-05-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought Mulan was entirely Disney-rific.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

They should do another where they have the picture of the book as though they're reading us a book (like in snow white or sleeping beauty)

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Plum View Post
    I thought Mulan was entirely Disney-rific.
    For me they lost the magic after Mulan. I'm very optimistic, though, and think (hope) they'll get it back with some of the upcoming movies.

As for the so-called Disney Renaissance, my personal view is that it lasted all the way from The Little Mermaid to Fantasia 2000 (although most prefer talking about the Fab Four: The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King). All of the films of that era are wonderful and nothing short of magnificent. So yes, post-TLK films such as The Hunchback of Notre Dame or Tarzan are very good too. And many of the post-Fantasia 2000 films have been fine as well: I mean, think of films like The Emperor's New Groove, Lilo & Stitch or Treasure Planet, all of which can stand proudly next to Disney's greatest animated classics.

About TLM3, go to the official website and check out the sneak peek that has recently appeared there if you haven't done that already. We finally get to see Ariel's mom after all these years! There are a lot of other surprises in store in the sneak peek as well, but you'll have to go and see it yourself.

Although I didn't expect much from this film, the sneak peek got me more interested in some of the plot issues, particularly because it has some interesting foreshadowing stuff. Although the sneak peek answers some of the questions I've had about the plot of TLM3, there are still some things that need an answer. I'll check this film out sooner or later. I don't know whether this film will become as nice as films like Mulan 2 or Cinderella 3 (both were rather nice in many ways), but I'm sure it'll be better than the dreadful Cinderella 2 or Atlantis: Milo's Return. I hope many of the secrets are revealed in TLM3, but we'll have to wait and see. I'll try to keep my expectations low, but I hope Disney will surprise me.

As for TLM2, although it wasn't as good as the original, it wasn't as bad as people say it is. Sure, some of the animation in it looks stiff, some of the characters and the plot kind of rehash old ideas, but there are some nice narrative bits and some nice character moments as well as a couple of nice songs (particularly "For a Moment" which is beautiful).

P.S. Although this goes a bit off topic, I just can't help but reply to the comments about Enchanted: it was surprisingly good and very touching despite its parodic aspects. To me it was more of a tribute to Disney than an actual parody, though, and I adored Amy Adams's performance as well as maestro Alan Menken's beautiful and catchy songs. ^^
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Quote Originally Posted by Rubah Lapah View Post
    They should do another where they have the picture of the book as though they're reading us a book (like in snow white or sleeping beauty)
    I love that! =O

I also like the opening of Beauty and the Beast.
    Last edited by Marshall Banana; 03-07-2008 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall banana View Post
    It doesn't look, sound, or feel like The Little Mermaid to me. =(

Disney lost its magic at some point after it released The Lion King.
    QFT.

The Lion King is considered by many of my friends, as well, to be the last great Disney film. After then, aside from most of the Pixar collaborations, it just sorta went downhill.

"I work in one of those humble call centres... Apparently, what we're doing at the moment is 'sprinkling our magic along the way'. It's a call centre, not Hogwarts." ~ Caroline Garlick, Ayrshire, BBC News Magazine

Blog Entries

The Lion King was easily their best movie. Totally moving. And the game for the SNES was cool, too.

I sure hope this movie doesn't end up sucking.

I am really looking forward to this <3 When I saw the preview on the 3rd Cinderalla Movie I wuz Excited but bummed at the same time cuz the preview didn't really have anything on it. Thanks for the info P.Plum <3

~Gamer 4 Life!!!! ^-^~