Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does it feel to play ROM games on a laptop computer?

Banned

Default How does it feel to play ROM games on a laptop computer?

I'll probably buy a laptop computer soon, and I was just wondering how you think it feels using emulators on such a computer?
    Is it pretty much the same feeling as the one you get from an ordinary computer, or are there any disadvantages (worse sounds, etc).

I also seem to imagine that the screen itself will feel different in a bad way.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Well, have you ever looked at an LCD screen before? I don't why you'd assume it's worse. Assuming you're playing roms of 16 or 8 bit games, the speakers of a laptop computer should be more than adequate to produce the sounds consoles could handle at that point in time. You're not going to be missing out on any deep bass or orchestral works.

Banned

Alright, thanks for the info.

Well, I seem to recall laptop screens having a more "blurry" surface that kinda vibrates whenever you touch it, so that the looks of everything on the screen would feel different.

Laptops haven't done that in, like... a lot of years. xD

It's fine for me. I have a PS2 USB plug in, so I just plug that in and play.
    I actually prefer playing roms on my laptop than on my actual consoles.. but then again I'm weird. I also like portable gaming.

Playing ROMS on a laptop is just as lame as on a desktop.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Playing ROMS on a laptop is just as lame as on a desktop.
    Not if you live in Sweden and are screwed on games like Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger.
    The only RPG classics I can find for the SNES over here are Secret of Mana and Breath of Fire 2.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Playing RPG's on a PC couldn't be more appropriate. RPG's are at home on PC's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    Playing RPG's on a PC couldn't be more appropriate. RPG's are at home on PC's.
    Plus the fact that the directional buttons on a computer are more convenient that the ones on a console controller.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Naturally. Even emulating N64 games which were meant to be played with an analogue control stick isn't that bad. There some odd bits where you'll struggle, for example in Goldeneye when escaping the train, but otherwise even that's fine. But yeah, as Dan said, RPGs are at home on a PC and I don't see why you should have any trouble playing emulated games on a laptop.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

If you have a controller with an analog stick, N64 games are pretty easy to control too. Though you might have to tweak the remap some stuff for different games. xP

Blog Entries

It feels...

naughty...

Seriously, though, so long as you have a good emulator (and with older games, it's pretty hard to find a bad one.), it'll be fine. I'd get a PS2 Conroller to USB Adapter, though. The PS2 controller generally works with any emulated system, and with some games, it's pretty hard to play with anything besides a Gamepad. At least, to me it is. Just out of curiosity, which systems besides the SNES are you planning on Emulating?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou View Post
    It feels...

naughty...

Seriously, though, so long as you have a good emulator (and with older games, it's pretty hard to find a bad one.), it'll be fine. I'd get a PS2 Conroller to USB Adapter, though. The PS2 controller generally works with any emulated system, and with some games, it's pretty hard to play with anything besides a Gamepad. At least, to me it is. Just out of curiosity, which systems besides the SNES are you planning on Emulating?
    Right now I'm all for SNES, but I will probably emulate NES as well.
    I tend to like retro-games.

I'm really looking forward to sitting up all night this Summer (because we've got hot and bright Summers in Sweden as well, believe it or not XD) playing Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger, yay!

I hope I can change to an apartment with a balcony, because playing on the balcony would be freaking sweet.
    Oh, and in case you're wondering, right now I can only play on my mother's computer, and I'm not gonna visit her 24/7 just to play games on the computer.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it's fine, if you're getting a new one, the games will actually look better using some of the features of the emulators than they would if you had the console game.

Also, speakers are pretty cheap right now, so you could keep them at the main place you play it and it's really not all that different.

Any decent laptop has good enough speakers to do justice to a bunch of 16-bit games anyway.