Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Gameplay devices that need to stop now

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Random battles really don't bother me at all. I don't really mind what kind of battle system it is as long as it's not a crappy one (FFXII). The most fun one I played recently was Rogue Galaxy. But yeah I still like turn based systems too, I just wish they'd give us more to do. Basic TB systems like "attack, magic, skill (Usually poncy shiet like Steal etc) and that's about it. That crap is boring. Needs more limit breaks and single, double and triple techs like in CT. Give me those and I'll be happy has can be.

Also, I agree that world maps need to come back. This linear progression through games is so failridden. I don't mind a game having a linear plot but exploring a world map and finding hidden places or new side quests is just awesome.

I do find it kinda funny how many people complain about difficulty of RPG's. The game doesn't force you to keep upgrading weapons or magic or any of that shiet. If you want a challenge so much then just stick with the basic equipment or something. It's not really hard.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Pokemon had a pretty interesting take on random battles. When you're in the overworld, random battles only take place in the tall grass. But they also usually have a path with no tall grass for much of the journey. Sometimes they throw in a small patch of tall grass in the path, but it's just one battle and you're relatively prepared for it when you see it coming. If you're lucky, sometimes you won't even get into a battle in that small patch.

Of course, sometimes there are trainers who line the paths, and their Pokemon are usually stronger than the wild Pokemon. So in order to get past, you can either go right ahead and fight them, or risk a couple of random battles by sneaking around them in the tall grass (unless they turn around and spot you...then you'll likely have to do both).

When you go into areas such as caves, you know you'll be having random battles, so you are kind of prepared for it. And Pokemon also has several methods of preventing random battles from happening, as well as the ability to run from a fight.

But yeah, as far as the 'traditional' RPGs go, I don't like the unavoidable random battles with the boring combat system. I do quite like the Shin Megami Tensei's style though. They do have random battles, but the combat system is such that you can blow through enemies quite quickly (and get pretty decently rewarded for doing so).

I'd like for all games to have some kind of 'save now' system, rather than the arbitrary save points that many have (not just RPGs). Even if it's a 'suspend' option where you can only load that particular save once, I'd really like to have that.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I dislike the gameplay device of a set party limit.

This occurred constantly in Final Fantasy VII because the party limit was only three playable characters at a time, and there were a total of up to nine playable characters at a time. Party members were constantly asking, "Who are you going to take, Cloud?" and the party members' reactions to events would always be in the same format because the party members with Cloud would be optional.

Many games have sidestepped the gameplay notion of having all of your party members inaccessible to you by allowing you to switch party members in the middle of the battle. This is the way that it should be. If the gameplay system cannot handle more than three characters without presenting a problem in difficulty, then we should not be able to use more than three characters at all. It hurts the story when the developers have to make dialogue variations for each character that you possibly could have brought with you to possibly react to.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post

This occurred constantly in Final Fantasy VII because the party limit was only three playable characters at a time, and there were a total of up to nine playable characters at a time. Party members were constantly asking, "Who are you going to take, Cloud?" and the party members' reactions to events would always be in the same format because the party members with Cloud would be optional.

Many games have sidestepped the gameplay notion of having all of your party members inaccessible to you by allowing you to switch party members in the middle of the battle. This is the way that it should be. If the gameplay system cannot handle more than three characters without presenting a problem in difficulty, then we should not be able to use more than three characters at all. It hurts the story when the developers have to make dialogue variations for each character that you possibly could have brought with you to possibly react to.
    I disagree. This adds more variation to the game. In FFVII it actually made a difference who you chose for the date at Gold Saucer later in the game. It actually gives you more control over what is going on.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Reading all the hate about random battles really makes me wonder why you are all here. I think there fine if done right. And looking for enemies when you want to level up is lame. Walking around in a circles is much more practical.

Anyway......I hate it when developers get lazy and throw wave after wave of enemies at you to boost a games play time. Capcom still does this in Devil May Cry. Why must doors get sealed off with no explaination? So that im forced to fight these enemies. Why arent I allowed a choice in the matter? Fortunately this is a dying convention and not alot of developers still do it. Apart from Capcom.....

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

While I agree with you, at least FFVII had the characters keep growing when they weren't in the party. I've never understood the point of forcing you to go back and re-level characters for whatever reason, especially in games where you're forced to use certain characters at some points. I mean yeah, I never used Aeris, but at least by the time we got to the temple of the ancients she was still servicable. So as long as the party members not being used still grow, I'm good to go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Anyway......I hate it when developers get lazy and throw wave after wave of enemies at you to boost a games play time. Capcom still does this in Devil May Cry. Why must doors get sealed off with no explaination? So that im forced to fight these enemies. Why arent I allowed a choice in the matter? Fortunately this is a dying convention and not alot of developers still do it. Apart from Capcom.....
    Yes, that is my least favourite part of Devil May Cry. It's stupid and needs to be removed.

Reading all the hate about random battles really makes me wonder why you are all here. I think there fine if done right. And looking for enemies when you want to level up is lame. Walking around in a circles is much more practical.
    That reminds me.

Excess amounts of level grinding. Begone! Fighting the same enemies over and over and over again doesn't add any fun or any challenge to the game. Unless you count the challenge to your sanity. I'd much rather customize my characters in other ways.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    That reminds me.

Excess amounts of level grinding. Begone! Fighting the same enemies over and over and over again doesn't add any fun or any challenge to the game. Unless you count the challenge to your sanity. I'd much rather customize my characters in other ways.
    Most of the time, I find that if you have the right tactics, level grinding can be avoided a lot of the time.

Save points that set you way way waaaaay back. Arrrg.

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    But yeah I still like turn based systems too, I just wish they'd give us more to do. Basic TB systems like "attack, magic, skill (Usually poncy shiet like Steal etc) and that's about it. That crap is boring. Needs more limit breaks and single, double and triple techs like in CT. Give me those and I'll be happy has can be.
    I still like turn-based battles plenty, but this is so true. There's really not much reason they can't spice it up these days. I've been hitting attack and matching up opposite elements since 1756. Some useful techs and would go a long way.

And RPGs seem to get this free ticket to "be boring" for about 5-8 hours. "You're at the beginning, they're boring at first, you have to stick with it." I get it's about character growth, but they can still give you things to work with from the start. No other genre would get away with 5 hours of being boring.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

5 hours is half the game for many. So I completely agree that they wouldn't get away with it.

Tutorial areas/dungeons/etc. that you can't skip. I'm looking at you, Oblivion. I'm okay thanks to mods, but jeez.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    I disagree. This adds more variation to the game. In FFVII it actually made a difference who you chose for the date at Gold Saucer later in the game. It actually gives you more control over what is going on.

THE JACKAL
    There is a difference between that and limiting the gameplay because of the storyline or limiting the storyline because of gameplay. Final Fantasy VII made use of a complicated system that gauges affection levels for Cloud Strife; however, only a part of that deals with what happens in battle, and that system can be kept in place rather easily even if you were allowed to choose your party members.

Choosing and picking your gameplay party only gives you control over the storyline because of the way that the game was made, and the storyline would not, in fact, be changed at all if you could take all of your party members at once. If anything, it expands customization of the game because you would be allowed to switch party members at will without worrying about anything detrimental to the story.

Cloud Strife and Aerith Gainsborough are required to be in the party during the Temple of the Ancients, so you really have less control over your party because you're being forced to carry two party members that you may or may not actively use; if the game employed a system similar to Final Fantasy X, you would be able to customize your party as much as you want without having to have the developers impair the story to offer more choices.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post

While I agree with you, at least FFVII had the characters keep growing when they weren't in the party. I've never understood the point of forcing you to go back and re-level characters for whatever reason, especially in games where you're forced to use certain characters at some points. I mean yeah, I never used Aeris, but at least by the time we got to the temple of the ancients she was still servicable. So as long as the party members not being used still grow, I'm good to go with that.
    But in most games, you could take one of your lowbies with the big strong guys and smash enemies, thus amping the leveling process to light speed for that one character. I did this a lot in the Suikoden series and it was never THAT tedious to me.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    That reminds me.

How about, instead of constantly grinding the same enemies, your levels are based on the number of that monster you kill?

For example:
    Kill monster A 30 times = 1 level up
    Kill monster A 100 times = 1 level up
    Kill monster A 200 times = final level up--
    From here, you can no longer level up fighting this enemy.
    Therefore, the cycle starts over--
    Kill monster B (slightly stronger than A) 30 times =1 level up
    And so on and so forth. Bosses count as an instant level up.

This way, you're inclined to find all the enemies in the game to reach full potential, and you're not stuck in the same area grinding for levels, taking longer to level up each time.

Been done popa, go play Paper MArio. :P