Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Gameplay devices that need to stop now

Except that if you fought for long enough, you could eventually just go down both paths anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Except that if you fought for long enough, you could eventually just go down both paths anyway.
    1) If you fought that long, you have no life. You can finish the game easy enough just finishing one path.

2) Even if you can go through both paths eventually, all of your characters still remain very unique, which was the original point to begin with anyway.

3) You seem to have not payed attention to the comment about tweaking and expanding upon it.

Except lots of games let you go down a "unique path" if you are willing to merely finish the game once. Final Fantasy XII lets you be a pure magic user, if you wish, or a pure melee character, and easily finish the game. Xenosaga Ep. III is just exactly the same way. I got all the skills for every character, and my game clock is still something like 30 hours. 30 hours barely gets you a third of the way through some games.

How exactly does one get all of the skills in 30 hours?

Well, I can see how if you skip a lot of the movies.

Regardless, in Xenosaga 3 each path each character can take is unique.

It's not like you can run Ziggy down one of Shions paths. The two paths for him are unique to him and him alone. Even if you get both done, your characters are still all very unique.

Continues.

You will never experience a video game if you credit feed to the end.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Don't be such an elitist. Most of us would never experience a single Cave shooter if we didn't credit-feed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Oh, I remember Gothic 2! That was a good game. I still have the manual but lost the CD... I suppose I can always download the game again sometime. It had a far more involved/personal feel to it than Oblivion, that's for sure.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

It's even better with the expansion (finally released in English years later) and with the background story from playing through the first game. Don't get me started on this series or I'll never shut up.

Kishi told someone not to be elitist. Cute.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I'm supposed to be cute.

I wasn't suggesting that I am a superplayer. The thing is that it's pretty much impossible to actually experience an arcade shmup if you credit-feed to the end because you will never, ever fathom the level design that the developers put so much effort into. This is why shmup-style games are reviewed so poorly in America, and this is why the genre is dead outside of Japan. Reviewers simply continue until they kill the last boss and they throw the game off as another one of those Japanese bullet dodgers with 15 minutes worth of gameplay!

It's not about going hardcore and devoting five months to getting a 1CC; it's about realizing that it's okay to never make it to the final stages if you don't want to invest the time to get good enough to make it to those stages on a single credit. When you really give these games your all, and you keep trying, from the beginning, you start to understand what the designers are trying to get you to do in each section of each stage, and they start unfolding into something very artistic and intuitive. It's an amazing experience that, to me, is pretty much the whole point of this style of games, I'd say. A beauty that is in the design of these games that worthless Western game reviewers will never know.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    The thing is that it's pretty much impossible to actually experience an arcade shmup if you credit-feed to the end because you will never, ever fathom the level design that the developers put so much effort into.
    I agree with you. I think that it is difficult to determine the playability of a game if the player or reviewer does not have the skill level to play the game the way that it was intended to be played. Obviously, not everyone is going to be at the top skill level, but I think that the developers create the game with the intermediate or advanced player in mind, not the reviewer with five minutes of experience. It all depends on the intentions of the game designers, but, for the most part, I agree with the above post on the topic.

I think that those types of games have a good resonance with children; in my experience, most of my playthroughs of those types of games were when I was younger and had the time to devote and perfect my technique for little reward other than getting to the end of the game.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

And then there's the Heavenly Sword-type games, where you can fathom the boss design all you want, but it's just not that hard and the game really is too short.

Contra would never have been popular in the US without The Code, although it should have been.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Reviewers simply continue until they kill the last boss and they throw the game off as another one of those Japanese bullet dodgers with 15 minutes worth of gameplay!
    That's the reviewers' fault, not the games'. I appreciate the consideration developers devote to a continuous single-credit run, but I'd hate to be closed off from the majority of a beautiful game like Mushihime-sama just because my skills aren't up to pulling one off myself.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Reviewers simply continue until they kill the last boss and they throw the game off as another one of those Japanese bullet dodgers with 15 minutes worth of gameplay!
    What? WHAT?! Triggerheart Exelica is a great game though! Reading that review is just...upsetting.
    Last edited by Momiji; 03-07-2008 at 11:32 PM.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, wouldn't want people having fun with their games or anything.