Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite 2D game (outside of Square-Enix)

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Gameplay supercedes visuals.
    So I suppose if I lined everything in my room up in straight line and stood next to it, I would cease to exist in three dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Gameplay supercedes visuals.
    So I suppose if I lined everything in my room up in straight line and stood next to it, I would cease to exist in three dimensions.
    If you were only ever able to move them in a X,Y axis, then yes... they would cease to exist in three dimensions.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

That's completely ridiculous.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

It's perfectly legitimate.

It's still not 2D.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    That's completely ridiculous.
    There's nothing ridiculous about it. If something can only be viewed on one angle, and can only move in two axis, then it'd be considered two dimensional.

I don't see how this is so hard to understand. Just because it looks 3D and uses a 3D art medium, doesn't make it so.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Yes it does, though. There is a 3D world there. You can move the camera around and see everything from different angles. The characters all have more than two sides because they're made of polygons. It's not considered two dimensional. It's not hard to understand. It's completely inaccurate.

But you can only move the object in 2 dimensional space, making it 2D! That's like saying a technical or perspective drawing is 3D just because it looks like it has depth, which is a similar concept to polygons (just points in space rendered has pixels in the end).

In Kishi's example, every time you control the character you are looking at a 2D space but you can switch the angles. At no point can you move the character in a Z axis (technical, yes you can, but based on the camera angle it would be considered X,Y axis still).

By the way: I was more or less talking about Smash Brothers. I don't believe you can move the camera around freely in that game.

Limiting movement does not make the game any less 3D. A drawing that looks like it has depth is 2D because it doesn't really have depth. Move the drawing around. You can't see behind the things that are in the front, no matter what you do. In Smash Bros., however, if you move the camera (which you can do by pausing the game and using the control stick) you can see in 3D.

As a side note, even if you couldn't manually control the camera, it'd still be 3D because the world and the characters are made of 3D models. A simple hack would be able to move the camera to show 3D space. The characters are confined to an X,Y axis, but that doesn't mean the entire game is. There's no reason there couldn't be something in the game that does wander around in full 3D. In a 2D game, everything is flat, making that impossible.

As for Kishi's example, that does nothing to help your case of Smash Bros. being 3D. In Fez is even less 3D than Smash Bros. xP

If you want to argue some more, I'll reply tomorrow. I refuse to be that guy in the XKCD comic who won't go to bed because someone is WRONG on the internet. xP

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Clearly, Roto thinks a "2D game" refers to a game with 2D graphics, while the prevailing definition is a game with 2D gameplay. And in that case, it's an argument of semantics, and neither opinion can empirically be called more correct than the other. In other words, let's go back to naming excellent 2D games, and those of us with freako irregular interpretations of the subject, desist in imposing them upon others.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Mario 3, Mario World, and Super Metroid gave me much joy in my youth.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I figured that's what everyone liked about Smash Brothers. A game with a 3D look and 2D gameplay. It always seemed way too limited for me to get into though. But I can see where Roto was coming from. The thread title said 2D game. Not game with 2D gameplay. Smash Bros. is still only in by technicality. If they made it using, say, Mario World graphics.. Hm wouldn't everybody love that.. I notice that I'm rarely ever a fan of any kind of 2.5D game design. Which mostly started when that crappy isometric view got insanely popular for some reason years ago. I hate isometric..

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quit peeing all over my thread with semantics you boobs.
    Figaro Castle

Klonoa is fun and cute (I know Lionx loves these games, lol).
    Nooo...what gave you that idea? XP Should talk about oldschool games sometime...

Although it does have polygonal shapes, i like how it resembles a 2-D game overall like Mario or etc. Ratchet and style games dont appeal to me as much because of its free roaming. And he a cutie XD;

and i forgot to list Gradius..who can forget that awesome game?

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

What the hell, some posts were deleted? I had some stuff in my posts that were relevant to the thread. D;

I guess I'll re-state them. Cool 2D Games:

- Patapon!
    - Zelda (LttP and Minish Cap are my favourite 2D Zelda's)
    - Rainbow Islands Revelations
    - Contra
    - Metal Slug
    - Klonoa
    - Mario
    - Sonic
    - Donkey Kong Country
    - And heaps of other platform games